Biltong during pregnancy

(9 Posts)
NewMumtoBe2011 Sat 03-Dec-11 08:21:32

hi, I have just returned from south Africa where I ate large quantities of biltong, I just found out I am six weeks pg. I am concerned about the risks, what if any are there? confused

BlackSwan Sat 03-Dec-11 08:26:57

You can't un-eat eat, so being anxious about it is pointless. It's just dried meat... I really don't think you have cause for concern. It's not liver, it's not raw, you have to stop worrying!

BlackSwan Sat 03-Dec-11 08:27:39

un-eat it, I meant!

SenoritaViva Sat 03-Dec-11 08:29:06

As blackswan said, also since you've already returned etc. and you don't mention that you're feeling unwell I'm sure there's been no damage! They only advise not to eat things because there is a small risk not because everything you eat in that category will be damaging IYSWIM.

(congrats by the way!)

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 03-Dec-11 09:03:50

I'm just trying to imagine the uproar if you told pregnant RSA women that they weren't allowed to eat biltong for the duration... confused All the stuff has ever done to me is give me a raging thirst because of the salt content.

NewMumtoBe2011 Sat 03-Dec-11 18:40:55

Thanks, not worrying anymore! smile

BlingLoving Sat 03-Dec-11 19:56:31

I CRAVED biltong throughout first trimester!! ate it by the truckload. I think I needed the iron.

Andvi have never met anyone who got food poisoning from biltong. I think you are fine v

Londonmum2013 Mon 03-Dec-12 15:18:53

I don't see anything wrong with eating biltong during pregnancy or breastfeeding as long as it doesn't have bad ingredients, e.g. monosodium glutamate (MSG) or any nitrates.
If you can find natural ones without those ingredients then it should be perfectly fine. I found a company in London named "Just Eat Biltong" and they sell 100% natural stuff. I give it to my toddler and she loves it.
Here's the link of the company: www.justeatbiltong.com

Londonmum2013 Mon 03-Dec-12 15:20:18

Sorry forgot to link the website www.justeatbiltong.com

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now