And the best selling item at any school fair/ bake sale is...

(83 Posts)
worriermum Wed 23-Feb-11 19:53:45

...the humble cupcake. Well-iced, preferably wtih the help of lots of toxic food colourings and sprinkles. And if you want to make absolutely sure that your dc has the most popular stall with the fastest-selling goods then stick a smartie on the top of all that icing and food colouring.

Yes, worriermum has done the research for you and after countless tedious school fairs and many hours spent making fussy goods for the fair, she can confirm the latest reserach findings. It seems no one can resist the plain but delicious cupcake...icing sugar and sponge cake win every time. (we ignore the bake-from-a-box brigade who give cupcakes a bad name..smug alpha-mummy baker emoticon needed here)

create Wed 23-Feb-11 20:06:35

Ah, there's my problem. My cup cakes taste OK, but I can't ice them for toffee. My gingerbread men do rather well though... smile

southeastastra Wed 23-Feb-11 20:07:57

i prefer a plain flapjack myself, can't stand cupcakes too sweet and ikky

southeastastra Wed 23-Feb-11 20:08:08

ooh yes gingerbread men too

SchrodingersCatFliesToOz Wed 23-Feb-11 20:09:43

IME actually the best sellers are from the mums who don't bake and give like a smarties cake or some pre-packed cakes

JemimaMop Wed 23-Feb-11 20:10:14

I always buy carrot cakes and maids of honour (and seek out ones made by particular mums as I know they are lush) however I know from running the stalls that the cupcakes always go first. None of this fancy fraaaawsting rubbish either, just icing and some hundreds and thousands grin

Hassled Wed 23-Feb-11 20:10:18

You're right - definately the cupcake. Lob a brightly coloured sweet on the top or some edible glitter and they will sell. And if your cake cases are brightly coloured, they'll sell even quicker.

GregorSamsa Wed 23-Feb-11 20:12:08

Bright-coloured icing (two colour mixed in swirly patterns if poss) with Haribo starmix on top will trump smarties, I can report.

Kids just go for whatever is biggest, brightest and has most sweeties on. [simples]

smile

jaffacake79 Wed 23-Feb-11 20:12:28

Rocky road. I make killer rocky road and it sells in minutes.
Likewise choc chip cookies and a vanilla and choc chip traybake that I make and cut up into little squares.

One of the Mums at our school makes amazing cream filled meringues. Yum!

pantaloons Wed 23-Feb-11 20:15:41

Yum, liking the sound of your vanilla and choc chip tray bake jaffa. Don't suppose I cold have the recipe? And yes, fairy cakes are always popular here, along with rocky road and decorated biscuits in the form of cars, butterflies etc.

PTA Wed 23-Feb-11 20:16:50

You need to come to Scotland, no poncy cakes here, tablet is the thing that sells the fastest. (For those who don't know, think brittle, very sweet fudge!)

AKMD Wed 23-Feb-11 20:19:38

Samosas always outsell the cakes round here. Gone within 20 seconds of being put out.

MamaChris Wed 23-Feb-11 20:20:18

I so love tablet. can't find a decent source and am in withdrawal.

schroeder Wed 23-Feb-11 20:22:40

I send lovely homemade chocolate fudge cupcakes or gingerbread men. All the kids seem to want are mini rolls and Mr Kipling's finesthmm

southeastastra Wed 23-Feb-11 20:23:27

tablet sounds nice too

PTA Wed 23-Feb-11 20:23:53

I've got two recipes if you want. One is very old and I would recommend a sugar thermometer and the other can be done in the microwave. It's a bit hit and miss the first time as all microwaves are different but works much better the second time.

schroeder Wed 23-Feb-11 20:24:49

Oh yeah tablet is lush-you can buy at thorntons too if Scotland is too far.grin

schroeder Wed 23-Feb-11 20:25:18

<judges self for using the word lushblush>

Rice krispie mars bar cake!

(well I say "cake" but there is no actual baking involved..)

TerrorFirmer Wed 23-Feb-11 20:29:52

Oh... I need a numpty-proof cup/fairy cake recipe if anyone has one. I need to do some for the weekend and I am a dreadful baker anyone..?

PTA Wed 23-Feb-11 20:37:20

just quickly, though I think this is more of a muffin mixture:

300g flour
150g sugar
1 egg
175mls milk
125mls vegetable oil

Mix and bake for 20mins at 190oC

if it is muffins then add whatever flavouring you like, orange zest and chocolate chips, white chocolate chips and raspberries, vanilla etc...

2 eggs
4oz self raising flour
4oz butter
4oz caster sugar.

Cream sugar and butter.
beat in the eggs.
Fold in the flour.
Put in oven (about 160ish) for 12/15 minutes.

MamaChris Wed 23-Feb-11 21:19:29

PTA yes please to the old recipe! we don't have a microwave so the new one won't be much use. but boy, if I could make this at home I can give up the chocolate!

thornton's tablet is ok, but not fabulous, IMO (I'm very fussy)

schroeder Wed 23-Feb-11 21:32:50

It's not proper tablet I know, it's too soft I think, but 250 miles is too far for sweeties.

TerrorFirmer Thu 24-Feb-11 08:26:11

Thanks for the recipes! I shall don my apron / tin hat / hazmat suit and give it a whirl grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now