Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Emetophobia - let's confront the fear together!

(847 Posts)
corblimeymadam Sun 20-Jul-08 14:22:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Marne Wed 03-Feb-10 09:13:24

She's sat up reading a book, still high temp but seems happy. Hopefully she will go to sleep soon (she's been awake since 1am).

I kept dd1 off school until today (she came down with it on friday), lets hope she doesn't bring anything else home.

DS1 has just had the squits. Trying not to worry as he seems fine in himself. It's been so long since we've had any bugs (except a small one in October) but it could be just a one off. There are bugs going around at the school and DS2's nursery though at the moment. I hate winter!!!!

The hardest thing I find is controlling my anxiety and not letting the children see how anxious I am when they are around.

countrylover Sun 07-Feb-10 19:32:58

hey becky - how are you doing? did the runs turn into anything nasty?

Hi countrylover, not yet, nothing nasty but he had them again this evening! He seems fine though in himself, eating as normal, but there is a bug going around. I think I'd better keep him off school tomorrow. I'm not as worried as I was on Friday. I can cope with that way round rather than the other way around.

PS How was your DS? Wasn't he poorly last week too?

countrylover Mon 08-Feb-10 10:43:58

yes he was - high temp and being sick...put the fear into me but after i realised he was keeping fluids down and it was only a reaction to his temp shooting up each time then i calmed down..

he was poorly for three days which didn't help our other little problem of not sleeping but that's another thread!

Oh god don't mention sleep! I had 1 hour sleep last night

Glad he's better. DS1 is much better today and eating a kitkat and watching Mr Men on DVD.

NellyNaggBagg Wed 10-Feb-10 21:55:19

Hello!

I've posted on the 'anxious emets' thread, and am popping over to say hello to you all on here. I'll keep popping back too - always nice to hear that other emets are coping with this horrible thing (Marne!!)

V-free vibes to all...

wiggleit Fri 12-Feb-10 16:54:03

Hi everyone! Nelly, i too have just posted on the other thread so thought i would pop over here to say hello. (Not copying you, honest! hmm )

how is everyone? Hope all is well with you all. Lotsa love xx

Don't you hate it when a friend of yours puts on Facebook (someone you saw a couple of days before) 'Bla Bla (name of friend) is covered in sick, thanks to daughter number three' or words to that effect. I am now in mild panic mode. At least it is half term and I know if we are fine by Tuesday we'll be ok. There is another bug going around my DS2's nursery too. Sigh. It is never ending sometimes.

Marne Tue 16-Feb-10 15:04:30

Well, i have had the worst 2 weeks of my life but the good side is i delt with it.

Dd2 recovered from Scarlet fever and V- bug and i thought we were all in the clear and then sat night i became very ill (won't go into too much detail), i had to face my worst fear, luckily my mum was on hand as i sent dh off to pick up anti-sickness tablets from boots (sadly he didn't make it back in time), then a few hours later dd1 started and was unwell for 48 hours. I had to cancel dd1's birthday party (again), spent the weekend looking after dd1 and myself whilst dh stayed out of the way with dd2 (in hope that they wont get it as Dh has an important week at work). We are now on the mend but OMG i have never felt so ill and anxious.

Dh is now saying we can't have a holiday this year as we need to pay for therapy for this horrid phobia.

I am hoping it is now all over and Dh doesn't come down with it, i don't know if i can cope with any more illness.

Please tell me if Dh was going to get it he would have by now? I did all the cleaning up so Dh has kept out of the way.

I am pleased with myself for coping (even though for a few seconds i wanted to die). I have now cleaned the whole house using disinfectant spray, washed all towels, sheets etc in hope this is the end of it.

I can't wait to get therapy, just trying to find a therapist who can actually help me is proving a problem, already contacted 2 and had no reply hmm.

Anyway sorry for sounding so down, just needed to talk to people who understand.

wiggleit Wed 24-Feb-10 14:35:20

Marne - well done you for getting through what must have been the most awful time. At least you can say to yourself that you dealt with it brilliantly. You did face your fear. How do feel now about v'ing? Has the experience helped you any? When was the last time you v'd before this? You don't sound as if the experience has lessened your fear.

wishing you well marne and good luck getting a decent therapist. I'm currently waiting to hear from a therapist, should be any time now, but to be honest i'm anxious about the treatment. But i'm going to give it my best shot because i hate the way i live.

Hi to everyone! Hugs xx

naturopath Wed 23-Mar-11 23:16:35

sorry or reigniting this topic again, and I know it's supposed to be the positive one, but the anxious one was full!

Just so scared as both dh and ds's friend playing here 2 days ago have some down with vomiting bug today.

REally terrified. Don't know what to do. please help

corblimeymadam Sat 26-Mar-11 09:50:51

naturopath Mon 28-Mar-11 01:37:15

bb - thanks - all bad things have passed. Was one-off for both of them. thank you for your support! xx

naturopath Fri 15-Apr-11 19:50:20

DH is ill again. this time it's worse than ever. I'm so terrified. Please help someone.

Hello Naturopath. Are you sure it is a tummy bug and not something he's eaten or something? I wish I could help but I do know how you feel if that helps to know you're not alone. Just before school broke up there was a raging tummy bug going around so I spent two weeks in a state of terror on and off - it's a horrid horrid feeling I know. It's not a nice phobia.

naturopath Sat 16-Apr-11 20:52:07

definitely. Luckily he went to stay with his parents so that I wouldn't have to face it..

FrozenPetisPois Wed 18-Jul-12 20:41:14

Is there anyone out there still suffering from this? I have suffered since my teenage years and in a few weeks time I have to do some work on a hospital ward where I know there will be people vomiting and the thought of that almost gives me a panic attack.

Can anyone give me any advice please?

corblimeymadam Mon 19-Nov-12 19:00:14

corblimeymadam Mon 19-Nov-12 21:04:33

Badvocsanta Tue 20-Nov-12 11:15:54

Just remembered this quote...hope it makes sense to you all...
"Depression is caused by living in the past. Anxiety is caused by living in the future. Only living in the present brings peace."
X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now