Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

How to help or comfort?

(4 Posts)
Wibblytummy Tue 21-Jan-14 16:59:27

Sorry if this has been asked before/or not the right place!

My dearest friend has been suffering with anxiety for a while now, it now seems to have become depression too and the GP has put her on some meds to help out.

She is my closest friend and I hate to see her struggling like she is. I'm rather uneducated to mental health issues having never been close to anyone who has suffered from them but I would love to help and comfort her through this. Is there any advice on things I can do for this? Any gestures other than a few texts that could let her know she's not alone in this? Currently she's not even wanting to talk on the phone as she's very tearful. Or are there anythings that I should definitely avoid doing that could suffocate or overwhelm her in her current state? Any help is much appreciated, thank you!

ASmidgeofMidge Tue 21-Jan-14 19:11:03

You sound like a great friend. I have suffered from depression/anxiety before and can totally relate to the thing about not wanting to speak on the phone because of the tears. What about sending a note/card that she could look at in her own time, showing her your support/love and offering to meet/pop round when she's ready ?

The Mind and Time to Change websites are both good resources for more info

Wibblytummy Wed 22-Jan-14 14:09:31

Thank you asmidge, that's lovely advice. I'll get on to a nice note for her now! Thank you.

ASmidgeofMidge Wed 22-Jan-14 18:26:00

No probs. Hope your friend is on the mend soon

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now