Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Challenge from my Psychologist. Write down 3 positive things a day. Join me?

(579 Posts)
fuzzpig Thu 05-Sep-13 20:10:16

Background in brief - history of abuse and lengthy depression, self harm, lots of therapy in teens inc psych ward stay. Now suffering from CFS (also known as ME) and having CBT as part of the treatment.

So, we were talking about low self esteem, negative inner voice etc, and she suggested doing this to gradually build up evidence against these thoughts. I've done similar briefly in the past but having done a lot of psychological 'inner work' this year I feel ready to make it stick and I thought doing a thread on it would make me more likely to bother!

I'm off to watch telly with DH in a mo (Big Bang Theory 6 arrived yesterday grin) so won't be back til tomorrow but if anyone wants to do this with me then jump in! Could be stuff you've achieved, nice things that have happened etc.

Mine are:

- Had my consultation over the phone for the first time - was worried it'd feel weird but I stuck with it and found it really helpful.

- Contacted a friend to arrange a meet up while he's visiting home (I hardly ever initiate anything like that)

- Wrote in my treatment journal the same day as my session, instead of leaving it for weeks!

smile

ep1977 Sun 08-Sep-13 21:45:52

Enjoyed listening a watching dd making a witches potion in the garden with mud, leaves flowers etc!!

Cooked a full sunday roast.. 1st time in ages (on a sunday)

Read a few chapters of my library book and looking forward to going to bed in a mo to finish it!!

Wow I like this thread.. makes you think about what u have done,, a good day x

BeaWheesht Sun 08-Sep-13 21:49:03

I am not feeling great today but am going to keep doing this:

Found out today that dd (3) is entitled to flu vaccine this winter so that's us all going to be vaccinated (am anxious about flu after a horrendous experience with swine flu and ds ending up with pneumonia)

Bought myself 3 books and a booklight for £6 in tesco and the book ive started on is actually quite good!

Spoke to my best friend on the phone

mumofthemonsters808 Sun 08-Sep-13 21:50:41

Went for a lovely walk with the dog in the September sunshine.

Started a fabulous book that I can't put down.

Went food shopping and now my cupboards are bulging with lots of treats (for how long I do not know).

fuzzpig Sun 08-Sep-13 22:37:02

Ooops nearly forgot again!

Coat is just a £40 black tesco one but nice and long, quite thick, zip up and does up around the neck so should keep me much warmer than my previous one. smile

Quite hard to think of stuff today as it has actually been a really rubbish day.

- managed to label some of DCs' school stuff

- DH brought home some of my current favourite chocolate grin

- feeling quite festive as have been thinking about Xmas stuff.

fuzzpig Sun 08-Sep-13 22:38:17

Sorry you have had a bad day too bea. I feel really grumpy and have been snappy with the DCs. Hopefully today will be better!

Weegiemum Sun 08-Sep-13 22:45:05

I try to do this, have long term depression (but currently managing unmediated!) and a relatively recent very limiting neurological physicat disability as well.

My 3 for today are

- played a game of monopoly and baked with children.
- made (pretty easy) Sunday lunch
- cuddled my guinea pigs!!

Millie2013 Mon 09-Sep-13 07:07:37

Mine for yesterday

(It started off bad, but I managed to pick myself up)

- I spent some time with my horses and took my ancient pony for a walk (well she took me for a walk, she might be ancient, but she's very strong)

-nice chat with the yard owner and a fellow livery

- nice family meal last night and baby sat in her highchair and joined us smile

kerstina Mon 09-Sep-13 09:34:20

Lovely idea can I join too ? Mine for yesterday. I was feeling rough with stomach cramps and very heavy period but
1) Managed to get DS off xbox to meet some of his friends and a couple of my friends in the park, so we nattered while they played football in the autumn sun for a couple of hours.
2) DP cooked us a lovely roast dinner.
3)Started to read some glossy mags that my friend had passed on to me.

spanky2 Mon 09-Sep-13 10:29:00

For yesterday,
Had a cuddle with my old cat who nearly died afew months ago.
Did some more crochet on the blanket I am making .
Spent time sitting down with dcs just watching tv.

The sun came out this afternoon
Ds2 said 'I love you so much Mummy' when I picked him up from nursery.
Despite having said childcare is for me to sort for the last x years, DP is really doing his best to do drop offs and pick ups now we are nanny-less.

Harder today tho middle of day was ok

1 read mindfulness book and practised and felt better for it

2 washed stair wall and banisters and they look a lot better for it

3 spoke to new mum at school

MajesticWhine Mon 09-Sep-13 22:03:33

Hi ColouringInQueen - which Mindfulness book do you have? I have got "The Mindful Way Through Depression" - but haven't been mindful enough to read much of it yet.

kerstina Mon 09-Sep-13 22:37:40

Was pleased DS had a good day at his new senior school and has made a friend who lives in our road who is in his class . Sat in the sun for a short while as I love the autumn light. Really enjoyed CBB it made me laugh and cry !

Hi Majestic I have Mindfulness - finding peace in a frantic world, which I have started... if you fancy joining me I'm planning to start working through the exercises next week - and have started a thread in mh if anyone's interested...

ShesADreamer Mon 09-Sep-13 23:55:03

Lovely idea!
DD adored her first day of nursery at proper school (and looked so grown up in her uniform)
Sibling rivalry issues have improved hugely and everyone seems happier for it.
It feels properly like autumn today - my favourite time of year.

fuzzpig Tue 10-Sep-13 06:31:42

Hello all, I'm really glad so many people are joining in smile

I didn't make it online last night - I work late on Mondays and usually feel very sore and tired when I get in. Mine for yesterday:

- managed a brief shower before work (yes, I am that slovenly that it's an achievement blush

- DS had his first couple of hours in reception, and looked completely adorable in his uniform, and despite being so very young (4 on Aug 30!) ran into class happily and had a great time.

- skipped mcD on the way home (normally pick up fries on the way home on Mondays with a colleague who goes to the same bus stop, but he was off yesterday) - admittedly only because I was in a lot of pain by that point and just wanted to get to the bus stop and sit down, but it did mean I had proper food when I got in, which is rare for Mondays and something my psychologist suggested working on.

Millie2013 Tue 10-Sep-13 08:12:38

I wish there were a "like" button on here :D

Mine for yesterday:
1. I spent some more time with the horses, they had their pony pedicures done
2. Made it to see my psychiatrist for psychotherapy and it went ok, I wouldn't say it was progress, but I survived!
3. I cooked an amazing (according to OH) spag Bol for dinner

ecofreckle Tue 10-Sep-13 09:14:07

good work you mummies with los going to school for first time!
so, for yesterday.....
- i made the effort and went dancing and asked men to dance rather than waiting to be asked - good end to the day
- i got myself out of bed early as soon as dd had fed, bundled her into her into her pram and wrapped her up for a walk whilst dh jogged - good start to the day
- i didn't run around like a maniac trying to do loads of jobs

hurryup Tue 10-Sep-13 09:26:57

What a brilliant idea, I remember doing this during cbt but stopped when my sessions ended for some daft reason. So mine from yesterday are

1 - had a fabulous riding lesson
2 - did 15 minutes of yoga
3 - finally managed to Hoover

Ill be back later with today's, hope you are all finding positive things in your day.

I have a blog where I try to find one positive thing every day. Sadly I have failed to post on it regularly for over a month now.

But, I will try here:

1 - I did make myself go to the gym today (the fitness suite was shut for reconfiguration, but at least I managed to motivate myself to get there).

2 - I enjoyed choir last night a lot more than I did last week.

3 - I have an Emma Bridgewater catalogue that I hadn't realised had arrived in the post.

spanky2 Tue 10-Sep-13 11:26:45

Yesterday .
I didn't have a takeaway even though I wanted one.
Kept my temper with ds2 even though he is being very naughty .
Did lots of cleaning . Shiny house .
This thread is so good .I like reading everyone else's too.

1 sorted bedroom redec thought and made decision

2 did 20 mins yoga

3 took ds to park after school and he had fun playing with a classmate.

spanky I like reading the others too!

fuzzpig Tue 10-Sep-13 19:25:45

- had the living room to myself this morning and instead of just sticking one of my usual DVDs on and/or MNing the whole time I watched the rest of a movie I've been meaning to finish for weeks (être et avoir - very sweet)

- spontaneously took the DCs to the park after school despite the fear of that sort of thing (energy/pain wise)

- managed small talk with another mum while at said park

smile

XBenedict Tue 10-Sep-13 19:30:21

What a fab thread!

1. Found and commented on this thread.
2. Bought colourful winter plants to replant in my hanging baskets.
3. Struggling with a third - finished the ironing?

hurryup Tue 10-Sep-13 21:33:24

Hmm, well riding lesson was rubbish but I guess at least I now know I am rubbish rather than thinking I am expert already hmm Also bought chips for tea from van in the village so no need for cooking and also finally got round to sewing house colours on dd blazer (only 1 week late).

Hope you've all found something positive about today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now