Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Have your emotions gone a bit weird since having a baby? Mine have!

(16 Posts)
Mnetter111 Wed 08-May-13 11:19:58

Yep definitely happened to me and I can't stand losing control and crying. Anything with kids, and don't even mention any of the charity adds for save the children, that gets me down for hours if I think about it for a second...

kotinka Tue 07-May-13 11:05:06

I wonder if it's some kind of hormonal mechanism to make us more compassionate while we're caring for vulnerable babies?

mine are 7 and 8 now and it's definitely improving.

JacqueslePeacock Tue 07-May-13 10:55:27

sad

MarianForrester Mon 06-May-13 22:54:30

Yep, sad news does it for me too. Ever since DN came to live with us ten years ago... Ds is four and am no better :-) Sorry!

stella1w Mon 06-May-13 22:45:40

I can't watch violent films and whenever i see news footage of a horrid murder i think about that person's mother.

JacqueslePeacock Mon 06-May-13 22:36:23

God yes, I couldn't read Jude the Obscure again now. Well none of you have helped me a bit, damn it! And if it gets worse after DC2 then there's no way I'm having any more. I can't function properly like this at all. I preferred being a rational human being with an appropriate sense of distance and the ability to do even the distressing bits of my job in a calm and collected manner. Now even some of the baby's bedtime stories have me sniffling (and not just at having to growl like a Gruffalo for the 15th night in a row).

YokoUhOh Mon 06-May-13 20:09:58

Sorry Jacques sad I'm glad I read Jude the Obscure when I was pregnant, I can't even look at it on the shelf nowadays!

bonzo77 Mon 06-May-13 20:09:04

Yup. Same here. Especially any news stories about children. Which now means anyone younger than me. hmm I'm 35! Oh, and it's worse after my 2nd baby. Despite ADs. And I spend far too much time playing out "what if" scenarios.

kotinka Mon 06-May-13 20:06:13

pretty much wink you learn to handle it after a while. just wait till the overprotective 'rip your throat out if you harm my kid' bit kicks in too, that's a gem grin

sydlexic Mon 06-May-13 20:06:03

I only got over it when I took AD's. My depression always starts like that.

JacqueslePeacock Mon 06-May-13 20:03:05

!!!! I didn't like the first answer but that's even worse! Are you seriously telling me that all human mothers are an emotional mess on the inside, who can't read sad novels or watch the news? I was so hoping you were going to tell me I'd be over it in another 6 months, say.

YokoUhOh Mon 06-May-13 19:29:45

I've been told by all the mums I know that this feeling lasts forever! DS is 6mo and, although I got over the initial baby blues tears, snot, wailing after a few days, I can find myself crying at a song, switching the news off and refusing to watch violent films. I don't envisage this ever changing! I'm sorry it affects you in your job, that's really tough (I'm a teacher, so I'm hoping my strict dragon skills transfer to parenting).

JacqueslePeacock Mon 06-May-13 19:22:16

A few years, you say? shock Oh no! I can't be like this for a few years!

kotinka Mon 06-May-13 18:29:27

definitely! there was one in chat about this a while ago.

I got much more emotional and weepy, lasted a good few years.

JacqueslePeacock Mon 06-May-13 18:27:29

Anyone?

(Did I pick the wrong forum for this? It says "mental health" but the URL says "feeling depressed" so I wasn't sure. Apologies if so!)

JacqueslePeacock Mon 06-May-13 15:26:23

Since having DS 18 months ago, my emotions seem to be all over the place. I cry at next to nothing (especially if it involves children). I can't read upsetting news stories or even sad novels if they have children in. I even cry at happy things, in a way I never used to.

It's really bothering me. I guess I expected to be a bit emotional after giving birth, but a year and a half later seems excessive! The worst part is that my job involves researching some distressing situations, often involving children, and I am struggling with it. For example, today there is a news story on a topic I'm working on at the moment in a major newspaper, and I can't even bring myself to open it because the subheading is upsetting enough. I can't go on like this!

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Or give me any hope that this will soon pass?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now