Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Having to be 'out in the world' when you don't want to be

(15 Posts)
getmeoutofthismadhouse Fri 01-Mar-13 22:46:03

I feel like this a lot. I spend a lot of time at home and only go out the house for a reason. I feel like I'm loosing my safety blanket if I have to be out the house for too long.
My problem stems back to being a teenager , I never seemed to fit in and my parents house was always a mess so I would stay home cleaning rather than go out being a teenager !! The irony is I now hate cleaning and have become the opposite !

emma123ab Wed 27-Feb-13 12:13:40

I don't really like being out and about either. I always feel nervous when I see people I know as I'm rubbish at social chitchat and I worry and over analyze about everything I say.

Bumblequeen Wed 27-Feb-13 08:57:01

I too struggle with being around people. A few colleagues talk about their lives in such detail that I feel exhausted and need 'time out'.

Despite being sociable, a large part of me is introvert and I need hibernating time.

I tend to sit alone at lunch to reflect and hear myself think.

Mylittlepuds Tue 12-Feb-13 20:47:45

Is it wrong I like the name Verity?!

Foggles Tue 12-Feb-13 20:28:21

I was just going to suggest that Verity.

OP - have a read of this thread and you will see there are many posters who prefer their own company.

VerityClinch Tue 12-Feb-13 20:24:45

Are you maybe highly introverted? Where just being with other people is exhausting, you need "down time" alone, quiet, to recover?

Mylittlepuds Tue 12-Feb-13 20:15:36

You never know name - one of those people could be the same as you. Everyone thinks I'm all singing all dancing and so confident. But I am scared to death by life every day.

The coat idea is one I got off an Internet forum. It does help.

nametakenalready Tue 12-Feb-13 19:53:13

Ps sorry puds, missed your 'coat' idea. I quite like that.

nametakenalready Tue 12-Feb-13 19:52:33

I don't know where mine has come from. If I am honest, I have never really liked 'going outside'. (I think I mean, having to be with other people, rather than actual agrophobia).

The awful thing is, I can't discuss this with friends as they are all very competent, high-powered, 'normal'. They don't even know I've been off sick.

I would like to find a club for people who don't like going outside!

KatyPeril Tue 12-Feb-13 19:50:08

I'm the same!

Mylittlepuds Tue 12-Feb-13 19:46:23

Wear the anxiety like an uncomfortable coat when you're out in the world - one that you can keep telling yourself that you can take off later.

Mylittlepuds Tue 12-Feb-13 19:45:10

I've had severe anxiety since the birth of my son 22 months ago - and I'm pregnant again! A surprise!

I firmly believe it's hormonal. But there are other elements to it. I'm also T1 diabetic so I suppose that's where the health anxiety thing comes from.

What about you?

nametakenalready Tue 12-Feb-13 19:41:08

Not at all, I'm glad it's not just me (though not glad you have it).

Have you had this a long time, puds? Can you work out where it has come from?

Mylittlepuds Tue 12-Feb-13 19:30:49

No you're not. I feel scared of everything these days. In my own house it's certainly less so, but I have health anxiety and a weird kind of dizzy on edge anxiety which kind of follows me around! I force myself to get out - you must too. As uncomfortable as it is. I hope you don't take that the wrong way.

nametakenalready Tue 12-Feb-13 19:25:01

Sorry in advance - I am really struggling at the moment.

After struggling for a long while, finally let my GP sign me off for a week with bad depression.

They offered to sign me off for longer, but I am determined to go back - I have to face my fear of work. I have had this for years (when I was young, I used to hate school).

I just feel that I can't cope in the outside world. I find the world of work frightening, alienating and lonely. I don't not enjoy my job - it's interesting enough. I get good 'reports'. But every task feels like the one that will expose me as a fraud. Even tiny things that should be straightforward. And I never seem to fit in. People aren't unkind. But they aren't really interested. Rationally I think this is just because they are busy and stressed too. But I take it personally and feel 'if only I said this/acted like this' I would fit in.

I'm scared, because I have to handle this fear of being at work as I need to earn.

Can anyone relate to this? I feel as if I'm the only adult who feels like this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now