Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Seeing my GP tomorrow but struggling to articulate how I feel

(17 Posts)
3monkeys Thu 17-Jan-13 19:09:34

I do agree Nananina. It's a shame the impatient ones make people scared to come in. Glad you got some help puddle jumper.

Crawling Thu 17-Jan-13 19:07:43

yeah i had to wait 3 months for mine.

As with so much of the NHS! I had an MRI in November to check my DDD but won't see the consultant to discuss it until mid-February.

Crawling Thu 17-Jan-13 18:56:20

don't be surprised if it takes a while for your appointment. That is quite normal sadly.

No, and I didn't think to ask! She did say that she thinks it's probably bipolar 2 and that I might be better off taking mood stabilisers instead of anti-depressants (I'm on sertraline atm) but that the psychiatrist will make the final diagnosis and decisions on which medication to suggest.

Crawling Thu 17-Jan-13 15:57:34

When I was first told I had scizoaffective(all bipolar 1 symptoms and schizophrenic episodes) I was really scared of the med but now I wouldn't be without them they put me back in control of my life. If you ask about the meds you usually only hear the bad stories but im telling you they have been brilliant for me.

Also did your gp say how long the list is?

Thanks NanaNina.

NanaNina Thu 17-Jan-13 12:33:46

Ah a GP on here - most unusual. Thing is you surely agree that just like anyone else GPs will differ greatly in their approach to their patients. You sound like a really good one, but to be honest I have come across some very bored, insensitive ones that want you out of the door as quickly as possible.

However I now have a wonderful GP but it's difficult to see her because she is so popular. I did suggest to the practice manager that maybe she could coach other GPs on best practice! Didn't get a reply.

JPJ glad you are getting the right diagnosis and can now get the right treatment which I understand is very effective in bipolar disorder.

Having been completely honest about my mental health for the first time, I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder and am being referred to a psychiatrist.

Feeling a bit shock and confused and scared but glad to put a name to it other than just 'depression'.

Crawling Thu 17-Jan-13 07:48:58

let us know how it goes.

Thanks. smile

3monkeys Wed 16-Jan-13 20:19:32

I am a gp. Blurt out the bare bones of it and they'll carry on the conversation, I ask loads of questions!!

grin I know what you mean.

Crawling Wed 16-Jan-13 16:30:13

I find they are more accepting and appreciate bullet points because it gives a very clear picture of how ill you are without having to read reams of a essay (not that you do that ob)

That's a good idea. Last time I went I handed her a letter (I copied and pasted from my posts on here) and she looked at me like hmm But I really struggle to talk about all this, having a verbal conversation is usually beyond me. Maybe she'll be more accepting of bullet points.

Crawling Wed 16-Jan-13 14:52:42

I always find it useful to write each problem symptom down in bullet. points and hand over the list can you try doing that?

I am aware of having depression off and on since my early teens, interspersed with 'normal' or upbeat periods. I began self-harming at the age of 7. I have suffered from anxiety since the death of my fiancé when I was 19 - I obsess about family being injured or dying; since meeting DH and having children it has worsened and I worry do much that I have visions of something happening (if I'm crossing the road with DD I can't help but picture her being hit by a car and seeing her crumpled body). I hate it.

I had PND after DD was born, then AND during my second pregnancy and now PND again. Sometimes I have a few really good, upbeat, happy days but then I'm back down again and can barely function. Sometimes I swing between up and down and back again in a matter of hours.

When I'm on a upswing I can do anything - I get the housework done, I cook proper food, I'm happy and cheery and able to interact with friends AMD strangers alike. When I'm low I can barely force myself off the sofa or out of bed, we eat poorly, the house is a tip and I don't want to see or speak to anyone.

I'm not really sure what I'm asking, or even if I"m asking anything, but it helps to get this written down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now