Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

Sertraline and insomnia

(7 Posts)
dsmama Sun 13-Jan-13 10:28:18

Hello, just wondering if any of you lovely people can help?
I've been on sertraline for three weeks now, and after the hideous initial increase in anxiety, I'm in a MUCH better place than I was. The only remaining side effect that I am experiencing is insomnia - I wake up at about 3am and stay wake for at least 2 hours, even if I take a sleeping pill. Is this likely to last, or do people find that it's temporary?
Many thanks.

strumpetpumpkin Sun 13-Jan-13 10:30:11

Its a very common side effect with all SSRIs. It does lessen a bit eventually.

I did find i coped ok with the lack of sleep, better than i wouldhave coped without the ADs

WithanAnotE Sun 13-Jan-13 10:38:34

dsmama did you suffer from insomnia before you started taking Setraline at all or is it a direct result of taking it? I found ADs improved my sleep patterns.
If it is actually side effect give it 4/5 weeks and if it is still a problem go back to the doc.
As is often said on here, everyone can react differently to to ADs and one person's saviour can be another's nightmare.

cupcake78 Sun 13-Jan-13 22:58:04

Personally found Sertraline brilliant but yes it can affect your sleep.

I am getting better at sleeping the longer I'm on it.

topsi Wed 16-Jan-13 18:57:16

My insomnia never improved on it and I gave it a real good go 6-12 months, every one is different though

it really helped my insomnia and I now sleep better than I ever have. My GP told me to take it just before bedtime.

topsi Thu 17-Jan-13 14:48:44

wow how strange Hanging. I took mine in the morning and i remember trying to get in an afternoon kip in while DS was asleep and not even managing that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now