Note: Mumsnet has not checked the knowledge, experience or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk, so this is not necessarily the best place to seek help if you're feeling seriously distressed or suicidal. Mumsnet cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you need help urgently, please see our mental health web guide which can point you to expert advice and support.

AD's and TTC

(5 Posts)
missali Sun 02-Dec-12 17:07:30

Thank you both for your advice. I did try Prozac when I first went on AD's, and it sent me loopy...quite the opposite of feeling depressed..maybe I'll ask for a very low dose and try that again, one thing is for sure I don't think I can keep feeling this way..

Mu51cal Sun 02-Dec-12 10:09:07

Hi missali,

I too have been a long-term sufferer of the big D & have been on many ad's over the years. I came off them just b4 starting to ttc (my choice), but am finding myself starting to deteriorate again now that winter is closing in. I am going back onto fluoxetine as this has the least affect on you when trying to conceive and both my GP & my husband (who is also a GP) say that it is far more important that you are in a good place mentally if you are to stand any chance of coping with all of the changes that a potential pregnancy may bring. I hope you manage to get it all sorted as its horrible feeling this way... Big hug x

WithanAnotE Sat 01-Dec-12 21:01:22

Ps: I conceived at 37years, so you still have time on your side! smile

WithanAnotE Sat 01-Dec-12 20:59:22

Your doctor should assess the risk of you not taking antidepressants against any potential risk to the fetus. I took citalopram for 7 months then switched to sertraline (as has very low concentration in breast milk). I would try and see another GP in your practice and discuss your concerns re not taking. Many woman (including many on MN) take antidepressants during pregnancy, BF too and have perfectly healthy babies. Good luck.

missali Sat 01-Dec-12 18:19:31

I have SAD and every winter for the past 6 years have been on citalopram. Am currently TTC our 1st and Dr is not happy to prescribe anything whilst we are TTC. I don't feel like I can continue without meds, feel awful, sad and exhausted all the time; but also don't want to stop trying for a baby-I'm not getting any younger(31) and we've been trying since August without any success. I've got a daylight alarm clock, and light thing, which helps a little.
Do you have any suggestions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now