What do any vegetarian 5:2ers eat on a fast day?

(21 Posts)
TenThousandSpoons Wed 31-Jul-13 14:27:25

Hi,
I'm thinking of doing the 5:2 diet and wondering what I would eat on a fast day. RL people I know seem to always have chicken/salmon and veg on their fast day.
Can anyone share a day's veggie fast menu? I'd probably want something for breakfast and lunch then no dinner.
TIA.

Talkinpeace Wed 31-Jul-13 14:54:48

have a look at the recipes thread .....
lots of veggie and vegan ideas there (BreadandWine is vegan)
as a confirmed meatie, I tend to go veggie on fast days as then I can eat more!
Laska42s aubergine curry is a star turn

I haven't done 5:2 yet and am considering starting, but I imagine that veggie soups and curries might be good? I think that something with lots of spices/flavour would make you feel like you'd had something decent, even if it was low calorie.

Eg:
cauliflower roasted with cumin seeds and chilli flakes
salsa with veggie sticks
spiced lentil soup

formicadinosaur Wed 31-Jul-13 18:50:07

I still think protein is important - so eggs? What about quinoa?

TenThousandSpoons Wed 31-Jul-13 18:53:58

Thanks for the ideas. I've just found the recipes thread and will start taking some notes.

Ten - would you mind posting your notes onto this thread, if that's not too much work?

Talkinpeace Wed 31-Jul-13 19:24:58

formica
your body copes just fine with a couple of low protein days per week

remus
pop over to the recipes thread - then all recipes are in one place

Doitnow Wed 31-Jul-13 20:54:56

I'm not veggie but had a mushroom omelette and large salad for my meal this evening. I even had enough calories for some cheese - yummy!

I was hoping for just veggie ones and was cheekily hoping that somebody else would sift them out for me. smile

wrigglebum Wed 31-Jul-13 21:08:39

I'm not a veggie but this was delicious. Or tofu stir fry, ramen with egg or tofu?

Lizzabadger Wed 31-Jul-13 22:29:09

I eat nothing, or if I am desperate a few roasted veg. I make sure I drink lots and take vitamin and mineral tablets and I try to eat nutrient rich foods on nfds.

IrisWildthyme Wed 31-Jul-13 22:37:12

I make a big batch of dahl - a massive serving is only about 120 cals, so I have it with about 150 cals worth of rice and some broccolli and carrots or other veg, and still have 100-150cals left over.

I quite often buy those pot-of-veg mini ready meals as many of them are only 250-300 calories, and add a quorn fillet and extra veg.

Or I make a bean loaf and freeze it in portions of about 120 cals, and serve it with veg and either a bit of rice or a mini jacket potato.

That's really useful, Iris. Thank you.

Kungfutea Thu 01-Aug-13 01:26:02

I do a lentil stew with mashed cauliflower rather than rice/potatoes. Works out at about 200 cals for a huge portion,

TenThousandSpoons Thu 01-Aug-13 08:40:35

Yes, thanks Iris.
Remus, that's what I was hoping too!

OK,
Boiled egg 78 with slice of toast 64 for breakfast.
Innocent Thai curry veg pot is 314 calories.
Carrot sticks.
Then a yoghurt or some fruit.
Does that sound like a good fast day?

Talkinpeace Thu 01-Aug-13 09:17:56

toast on a fast day is wasted empty carbs and calories tbh

and if you can, skip breakfast and have a bigger supper so you sleep well

IrisWildthyme Thu 01-Aug-13 18:15:58

When I first started with fasting, I had a boiled egg with a low-cal crispcracker and carrot sticks for a late breakfast circa 11am, then went through till dinner. Now I've got use to low-cal days I'm able to go all the way to supper without anything except water - so while I still aim for about 350cals for supper, I can have the remainder for a late-snack just before bed - usually banana and/or other fruit.

I find it easier not to have any breakfast at all, so the digestion kind of stays asleep, rather than a light breakfast which can sometimes just remind you to be hungry and you're worse of than before you ate.

Lizzabadger Thu 01-Aug-13 19:32:57

Cooked lentils are 230 cals a cup. Not that low.

IrisWildthyme Thu 01-Aug-13 21:21:47

Yikes - I started typing a contradiction Lizza but have just realised having checked the packets that the calories per 100g on the packet is for cooked weight not dry weight. Eek I have been over-eating. Thank you!

I had been working with a figure of 105cals per 100g, but actually 100g dry weight has 318 cals so when I thought I was eating a serving of 120 cals it was actually 220 cals. Oops. Now I know better. Slightly hungrier fast days ahead.

berri Fri 02-Aug-13 03:04:55

Are you on pinterest? If you search for 5:2 on there, there are loads of veggie options...best I've tried is a cauliflower curry and a roasted pepper quinoa dish.

Lizzabadger Fri 02-Aug-13 08:46:03

But lentils are still really filling, tasty and good for you so a good choice for fast days in smallish portions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now