The 5:2 Diet Thread number 18! Breaking out the summer wardrobe?

(999 Posts)
GreenEggsAndNichts Mon 22-Apr-13 10:51:27

The continuing thread for those of us following either the 5:2 diet or the alternate-day fasting diet.

The 5:2 diet was featured on Horizon in August 2012, and essentially requires you to fast for 2 non-consecutive days per week. The other 5 days, you can eat what you like, or approximately your TDEE (see explanation below). Alternate-day fasting is just how it sounds; you fast every other day. By "fasting", we mean that we keep our calorie consumption very low, around 500 calories on average for a woman, 600 for a man, on those days.

You'll find on these threads we use a number of acronyms. If you're new to the threads, or Mumsnet in general, they might not make much sense.

WOE/WOL = Way Of Eating/Way Of Life. We use this term instead of "diet" as many of us see this as something to do in the long term.

MFP = My Fitness Pal, a website many use for keeping track of the number of calories they're eating.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure, quantifies the number of calories you burn in a day. This measure is best estimated by scaling your Basal Metabolic Rate to your level of activity. TDEE is critical in tailoring your nutrition plan to desired fitness goals. Here is a link to a calculator to help you figure out how many calories you should be eating in a day.

ADF = Alternate-day Fasting, as it says on the tin, fasting every other day rather than 5:2.

Michael Mosley has recently unveiled a new website to accompany his new book on the subject. Please go check them out, as he's the whole reason most of us are here!

I know a number of people lurk on this thread, as this is currently quite popular. Please just jump in and post if you're new- you'll find a lot of support here.

Here is a list of links to get you started with this way of eating. Please let us know if you find a new article or some other information online:

First things first, here are links to some of our previous threads: most recent one before that another one!

Another thread which breadandwine has started is a good resource for some of the links and tips that get lost in these big threads. In addition to sharing links, we try to condense some of our top tips for fasting there. Keep in mind, we all do this differently, so these are just tips, not rules. This might be a good place to catch up with us if you're feeling a bit lost!

frenchfancy has a recipe thread over here, please post any low-calorie recipes there so they don't get lost in these bigger threads!

If you've been at this a while and are moving on to maintaining your goal weight, there is a thread here to discuss that.

Here is the link to the BBC article regarding Michael Mosley's findings, which was featured on Horizon.

There's a link to the aforementioned Horizon programme here.

A blog post here gives some of the scientific explanation for why this way of eating helps you to not only lose weight, but improve your all-around health.

A Telegraph article which comments on the diet and gives a brief overview by Dr Mosley himself, very informative if you're just starting. (I highly recommend this for an overview)

A study discussed here gives commentary specifically addressing the effect of this diet on obese people (both men and women), with regard to both health and weight loss. ("After 8 weeks of treatment, participants had an average 12.5 lbs reduction in body weight and a 4 cm decrease in waist circumference. Total fat mass declined by about 12 lbs while lean body mass remained relatively constant.) it also mentions "Plasma adiponectin, a protein hormone that is elevated in obesity and associated with heart disease, dropped by 30%. As did LDL cholesterol (25%) and triglycerides (32%).")

Something to consider if you are currently your ideal BMI: this appears to suggest the benefits for women at a lower BMI might not be seeing the same health benefits that are found on men at their ideal BMI.

A BIG THANK YOU to all who have been contributing, btw. Most of us are learning this way of eating as we go along. All of the links above have been posted by others in our previous threads, and they've been very helpful. Sorry if I haven't given credit where it's due, but it was just enough of a job getting all the links re-copied and back into one post.

Come join us, and tell us about your experiences with this diet!

LexingtonBear Fri 26-Apr-13 21:51:56

Sooooo cold after a good fast day, third this week. Hung on til 5 and then had a boiled egg and later an m&s ready meal from the (new?) delicious and nutritious range. Most of them seem surprisingly low cal and are pretty nice, tho not as filling as my usual standby, the Linda McCartney lentil pie. I never thought I'd feel so enthusiastic about lentil pie!

Anyway, am taking myself to bed to avoid the cold and the lure of wine. Strangely don't fancy the sticky toffee pudding DP is supportively and noisily scoffing, but best take myself out of temptation's way. Here's to a happy and slightly less restrained weekend. 1.5 stone down, 2 to go....

Well done all today's fasters!

Thanks for hamster condolences, I haven't even told DDs yet as they are at their dad's.

DP and I are away for the weekend, planning lovely meals offset by gym visits. it's 300 steps from the room to the restaurant, gotta live those hotel corridors!

Well done to today's fasters and losers!

ELR Sat 27-Apr-13 08:07:44

Morning all, some great losses yesterday. Feeling a bit rough this morning went out last night into London only had two drinks and a small curry but still feel full this morning so think I may do a mini fast and DH has just said the same so mini fast it is!! We are going out tonight to a friends 40th cocktail and canapés party so plenty of sugar coming my way tonight!
Was 2.25 lbs heavier yesterday than last week so am not happy although I know it's just a blip as I've been really good and I've lost another inch from my hips.
greenfig well done on the mars bars I have discovered the 99 flakes at 45 calories as a little treat which I have been known to have on a fast day.
betsy I see you have found the cookbook club thread it's quite good.

ceebeegeebies Sat 27-Apr-13 08:16:19

Morning smile

It's my birthday today smile smile so dieting definitely out of the window since I may have started the day with some Thorntons chocs wink

Anyway, DH bought me The Fast Diet recipe book...generally diet books for birthday presents are not good but am really chuffed as it is actually very thoughtful of him (for once) wink

<slight hijack>
Happy Birthday ceebeegeebies, it's mine today too smile

BsshBossh Sat 27-Apr-13 08:35:06

Happy birthday cee and married.

ELR where do you get 99 flakes from and how many in a pack?

akarucker Sat 27-Apr-13 08:44:58

ceebee happy birthday: love it...a box of chocs & a diet book for your birthday! That's my sort of gift grin

WhenIGrowUpIWantToBeAPenguin Sat 27-Apr-13 08:55:35

Hello everyone - would you mind if I join you? I have decided today to bite the bullet and commit to the 5:2 and want to get it down in writing before I change my mind smile

BetsyVanBell Sat 27-Apr-13 08:56:40

ELR Food is my favourite topic though I realise I have a pathological inability to follow recipes without adapting them - plus my cooking approach is generally "I have/want to use these ingredients, what shall I make?" - look at loads of recipes, ponder a bit more then go my own way. I have started writing up my experiments though which is good - otherwise the good ones are nigh on impossible to recreate!

Happy birthday married and ceebee - celebrate properly and don't worry about the scales! You can claw back the lbs later!

Bssh You can get boxes of flakes in most supermarkets I think, they put with with the ice cream sundries - wafers, sprinkles & sauces - usually. I admire anyone's ability to only eat one from a multipack confused

BetsyVanBell Sat 27-Apr-13 09:00:10

Hello Penguin, that's it, you're committed now! It's great, honestly smile

peplum41 Sat 27-Apr-13 09:22:58

Hello whenIGrowUpIwantToBeAPeanguin! smile welcome to 5:2. Are you starting today? Or just gearing yourself up for the ride? Its brill, hope you love it.

ceebee oh what a fab start to the day, seeing as you cant share thoseenvy thorntons with us , hope you will share your thoughts on the recipe book.

LexiBear, will be on the look out for some of Linda mac's lentil pie! I suddenly find myself very enthusiastic about lentils! They've got a rather beardy reputation, but they taste great(when cooked right), and are very filling for such low calories. Plus cheap. Im tinkering with a lentil dahl recipe someone showed me years ago, takes about 1/2 hour to make. When satisfied with it , will put it in the thread.

lauriefairycake, your post about cakes was very interesting, especially your pre-diabetic issues. Im the same, gone from mad-blood-sugar-all over-the -place loon to a reasonable human being. But, personally for me, do need to exercise caution on what I buy at the supermarket. If its in the house it gets eaten grin

Dotty342kids Sat 27-Apr-13 09:26:26

cee and married - Happy Birthday to you both! It was my 40th last weekend and had a big hotel blow out with all my friends - put 4lbs on in the space of 3 days grin.
But, two fast days later this week and I'm back to where I was pre birthday so just enjoy it; eat, drink and be very merry indeed!
I glimpsed 10st 13lbs this morning! It was only a glimpse before the scales settled back at 11st exactly but still - going in the right direction again. For all those who read my posts you'll know I've been trying to get to the 10s for what feels like WEEKS!

DeckSwabber Sat 27-Apr-13 09:37:14

Second fast yesterday. I ate porridge for breakfast (180 cals) and had a green tea at work (vile, vile drink). Caved in and had a cup of tea before heading out for a 40 minute walk at lunchtime. Water only in the afternoon. Cup of tea while getting boys dinner ready and then off for a 50 length swim.

Came back to find boys only just tucking in to their dinner - how cruel is that?

One more cup of tea then bed.

Feel great this morning!

DeckSwabber Sat 27-Apr-13 09:39:28

Oh and I meant to say my normal Friday is something carby for dinner because the fridge is usually empty by then so it's pasta bake or something, with a -bottle-- couple of glasses of wine.

wonderingagain Sat 27-Apr-13 09:47:58

Fast day today. 3 stone to lose and so far lost 7lb with one day full fast at 500 cals and one day at 750 cals plus two days full monty. Today is another fast day an I will only have 500 cals. I am doing ADF as that worked best for me before. I am allowing myself extra calories on the third fastt day. Hi lexingtonbear I think we are in a similar situation in terms of weight?

Southeastdweller Sat 27-Apr-13 09:49:24

Happy birthday to ceebee and married smile

To anyone who doesn't have the Fast Diet book by M.M and Mimi Spencer, I've just noticed it's £2.36 at the moment on Amazon for the kindle version.

greenfig Sat 27-Apr-13 10:22:50

Happy b'day ceebee & married smile
I was wondering about the recipe book, will have a look SEdweller thanks. Do you have the kindle version? Not sure about not being able to flick through an actual cookbook.
ELR perhaps we could book club the FD recipe book, & swap other suitable recipes? Had a peak at the cookery book club & it looks great.
Girls have just made a pile of waffles, bacon & syrup & I had nat yog with rhubarb, strawbs & rasps. Delish! Got a long day out with a picnic tomorrow & anticipating the need for a large glass of wine at the end of it so hoping I can factor in some damage limitation today!

Southeastdweller Sat 27-Apr-13 10:41:30

Hi Green, no it's not the recipe book, it's the first book that's £2.36.

akarucker Sat 27-Apr-13 10:54:55

I got a little over excited and thought I could handle 5:2 (I usually do ADF). Turns out I'm not ready, the scales made sure I was clear on that this week! (So my one stone loss was short lived)

I really cannot grasp what normal eating is...never done it and I have to say, I find the eat days harder than the fast days, for that reason. Combine that with my sugar addiction and it's not pretty! Even with MFP, I find it an alien process. So, I'm back to ADF for a while. I suppose it's just going to take a while until it comes naturally to me. Happily, I seem to have adapted to the fasting aspect quite well, I just need to get out of this mindset of the eat days are my 'reward days'

Well, not a big deal. I do enjoy ADF so maybe in a few weeks I'll be ready for 4:3

DesperateDietingHousewife Sat 27-Apr-13 11:00:34

Happy Birthday ceebee and married flowers, have a great day both of you.

I didn't feel hungry yesterday after fasting on Thursday. I waited until about 2.30 when I had half a sandwich and erm.....a M&S choc chip cookie from the bakery-would have been better just eating all the sandwich and no cookie. I just get all over-excited knowing I can eat things like cookies and cakes. I did eat a couple more crappy things during the evening but before this WoE, i would have been grazing constantly on rubbish and hating myself at the end of the day.

I was wondering when everyone does their weigh-in? I can't work out which is the best day. After a fast day, I get over-excited at a 2-3 lb loss but if I weigh after a 2-3 days eating normally, I get depressed it's not coming off fast enough/at all. Am thinking a Wednesday might be good ie half-way between my two fasting days? And this was the day I started 5:2.

Hippo Burpdays to ceebee and Married!

Welcome to Penguin!

Someone mentioned there's a recipe pullout in today's Times - I shall investigate and report back.

I weigh on Fridays, regardless of when I've fasted during the week.

wondering great loss so far

happy birthday married and ceebee

Just spent £95 on new running shoes, gulp!

I weigh every day and prefer that because my fast day losses are often only 100-200g.

bugsyburge Sat 27-Apr-13 12:26:10

afternoon all grin , some great losses this weekend, well done all!!

I normally weigh in Saturday morning at the gym (helps me get through a Friday fast) but I was out last night for food & a few drinks and I haven't made it to my morning yoga class (actually I haven't even made it out if bed yet!!!!) so i''ll probably try & resist weighing in until next Saturday.

anyone fasting today?

bugsyburge Sat 27-Apr-13 12:30:38

ps, happy birthday ladies!!!!

eat lots of cake wink

akarucker Sat 27-Apr-13 12:37:26

bugsy I'm fasting today.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now