IF, 4:3, 5:2 - Maintaining a healthy weight - Chapter 2

(985 Posts)
Breadandwine Sat 13-Apr-13 10:44:21

This thread is for those who have been practicing IF (Intermittent Fasting) for quite a while and are now at or nearing their target healthy weight. It's also for anyone who is doing it for the health benefits alone.

How do we experience fasts and balance a stable food intake while having little or no weight to lose?

How do we ensure that this WOL keeps us at the healthy weight long term rather than revert to yoyo games?

Several of us have been stable at our goal weight for a few months, now, and others are joining all the time. Obviously, the more the merrier! grin

Here is the current main thread for posters practicing IF to lose weight.

There are two other associated threads:
This one, which is an absolute goldmine of Tips and Links on how to practice IF, and the research behind it.

And here is a treasure trove of 5:2 recipes, mostly low calorie for fasting days, but there are also recipes for when you want to treat yourself. And, now we're maintaining, we'll need more of these! grin

Breadandwine Sun 30-Jun-13 16:27:54

It's all about control, isn't it? ATB?

But it's amazing just how quickly we can regain it after a lapse of some sort! grin

Talkinpeace Sun 30-Jun-13 19:41:43

THat is the coolest bit about this way of eating : you can stop and start just by deciding that a day is a fast day ....

Yes, which is why I'm not too worried, I've done it before, I enjoy it as a WOE, once the first full fast (tomorrow) is done it will be easier

To a friends for dinner tonight so I haven't fasted but just had strawberries and watermelon for lunch - and managed to stay away from birthday cake and biscuits this morning, and the DC dinner of homemade pizza!

Morning all! Hope you had good weekends.

Have started my new working pattern today, 36 hours divided into 4 days. I have to finish at 4pm, due to DH's shifts, which means 7am starts. I walk to work, and have to feed the baby before I leave, so was up at 5am. Am on a FD, and already feeling hungry. Hope I manage to stick it out, am going to have lots of black coffee, peppermint and nettle tea, and a couple of mugs of bovril. Have some glorious skinny thai soup waiting at home for my dinner, will have half the tub with a slice of bread. If weigh-in tomorrow is good, might make this my last Monday fast-days, and switch to a 6:1, making Thurs fast days, as I'll be off work. DH has been getting on at me a bit for being 'too skinny' ( I beg to differ), so I don't want to go too far.

Anglaise1 Mon 01-Jul-13 08:42:17

I had a great weekend, after working Saturday spent the rest of it with my OH at his place as I don't have my children this week. A nice day at the beach yesterday and no change on the scales this morning so motivation to do my fast today isn't great, but I'm going to do my best even though I'm hungry already. Things going well now with OH after previous issues, the only problem now is his ex GF who finished their relationship 18 months ago has now decided she wants him back and keeps contacting him even though he has made his feelings clear. It's awkward as she is very fragile emotionally....there's always something.
I hope everyone has a great week and good luck to all those fasting!

Morning all, congrats to french fancy so close to the 10 stone mark!

I have realised that I would really like to be there too (10 stone), i'm definitely unhappy with falling of the wagon, and weight is creeping back on, clothes feeling uncomfortable and I'm more a size 14 than 12 now, think I might have to send myself back to the main thread, but might give myself a week or 2 to see if I can get this thing back in control again.

Americas definitely think we should buddy up and pep talk each other, I'm fasting today, and plan to do weds and thurs too as my other work days. It's summer FFS! i want to be happy running around in shorts and t shirts not beating myself up. Going to cut out snacking and cut back on carbs too tip I know you are right about it, but with just me and the kids most of the time I find it really difficult not to eat with them, or their leftovers to save me the bother of cooking for myself later.

I've been baking a lot recently too, so i may stop again for a few weeks while I regain some control.

fizzy water, salads and lots of tea is the way forward!

can someone post me the link to the current main thread?

Breadandwine Mon 01-Jul-13 10:46:42

Hi mum you can do this - it just takes one successful fast day to regain control!

Here's the link. Loads of new people on there, but the ethos remains the same! smile

Best wishes! B&W

thanks B&W I know I can do it, and this time I have a proper target, it just needs to become a good habit again.

BsshBossh Mon 01-Jul-13 11:35:14

mum I'm another maintainer now back on the weightloss train and on the main thread. We can do this. See you there smile

Def up for supportive pep talks and kicks up the arse! Fasting today, first proper one in WEEKS! That's terrible. I'm hungry - time for tea (it's not even 7am)

Both children off preschool the next two weeks so finding the balance of eating with them and fasting will be a bit more challenging

americas well we're both starting on the same day, and it's been weeks for me too (without the very genuine reason of doing a marathon bike ride!)

I forgot to weigh in, but will weigh in tomorrow am wink always best to do after a fast methinks!

maybe a really simple grated carrot, ginger and leaves salad will make it look to the dc's like you're eating a decent meal, without actually consuming many cals, so you can save most for the evening?

Hmmm last post didn't update - WI today and christ on a bike I'm now 10lbs up from my ideal weight, where I was about 6weeks ago!! Eek....in fairness 5lbs of that went on in the run up to the ride when I was eating very heartily, training hard and had given up alcohol and sugar, another 1lb gained after the ride.

That's still 4lbs in 3 weeks. I need a goal - I arrive back in UK September 11th, if I can lose a stone by then it allows me wiggle room and the inevitable few pounds I'll gain from the vast amount of bacon buggies I intend to consume

I'll be going bridesmaid dress shopping and fitting with my bet friend for her wedding next summer so that'll be a good reason to keep it off when I come back too.

Bloody hell though sad

Healthily, not heartily! Been eating heartily since then

atb bacon buggies - lol brilliant image!

ok, i'll weigh in tomorrow, but to be fair it'll be after a fast, so we both weigh in again tomorrow, after a fast and then that'll be fair.

I'm back on the main thread, feeling good, one successful fast today, back to strict fast days, not half fast days sliding into overeating/drinking, and I may even try some lower calorie eating days in between.

september 11th, I'm going to adopt your target date, but more realistically i'm gonna say 10 pounds, which is one per week, which is all i've ever lost on average. will check back tomorrow with specific weight and target. But I would love to have lost a full stone by the anniversary of the programme airing.

ok, this mornings weigh in 11 2, lowest weight was 10 10, and maintained at around 10 12 for months, new proper target is 10 stone, but for september 11th....to join ATB 10 stone 6, my starting weight last August was 11 8, copying this over to main board and will keep popping back here too, but for now i'm back to proper fasting. Feeling good after first full successful fast in a while.

catsrus Tue 02-Jul-13 15:27:31

Well I had a win today - working lunch and someone who didn't turn up had ordered gluten free - so they had a tuna salad (no dressing) rather than the revolting sandwiches. I offered to eat it so it didn't go to waste grin.

I now have a few days of work related hotel food and wine so need all the help I can get!

Talkinpeace Tue 02-Jul-13 15:32:52

If its any relief ladies and gents, I've found that 2 days of 500 calories and three of just one decent meal and three days of relaxing and I've been able to lose / maintain while doing bugger all exercise.
Its also really good for the head because you get the mindfulness clarity of a 23 hour fast but eat what you like for supper !

go for it!

Damnit mocnk I only saw your post after showering (so obviously any weight gain will be wet hair wink) but yesterday I was 10stone on the nose, lowest was 130lbs, maintained at around 132/134lbs for a while (do roughly 9.5stone), aiming to reach 9stone by 11/9 then eat enough bacon BUTTIES to not worry a out bouncing up towards 130lbs again

I'll prob stay here if that's ok, the big thread moves too quickly, but will pop over with my stats and use the newbies for fresh inspiration too

Successful fast yesterday btw, thank god! Out for margaritas tonight, friends over for dinner Wednesday so no/light lunches to compensate - 4th July on Thursday so no fasting then either, next fast is Friday, BBQ housewarming Saturday so won't eat until BBQ as I have a tendency to overeat at those things, fast (recovery) Sunday...then I reckon an alcohol free fortnight til a 30th birthday weekend away

LET'S DO THIS!

tip how did you manage to get an 8 day week when the rest of us get 7? lol

but I think I get what you're saying, today was an eat day, I met a friend for lunch, but skipped breakfast (whereas i don't tend to on a day after a fast) had sandwich and cake and then a chicken and avo salad for dinner, no snacking and still feel stuffed, managed to avoid the wine and chocolate, so on for a fast day tomorrow, i want a good headstart this first week back on track.

atb here is fine, this board moves so slowly i can do a bit of both
we're on, and I'm racing a friend IRL to a 1 stone loss too.

Talkinpeace Tue 02-Jul-13 22:20:31

MOCNK
creative accounting .... my day job wink
or just sloppy typing!

Anglaise1 Wed 03-Jul-13 08:41:36

I managed a full fast on Monday, and the scales this morning showed 56kgs so I'm happy with my maintenance. I won't be doing another full fast this week, but I often skip lunch in the week and will continue to do that. It means I can indulge in cashew nuts with a wine as an apéro in the evening, plus a couple of squares of chocolate after dinner.

getting things back in control and feeling good, after a 2nd successful fast yesterday I weighed in 2 pounds lighter than after Mondays successful fast, so only 2 pounds to go to back to previous maintenance, but target is lower this time.

busy day in work today and then off up to wirral tonight, so have a good weekend all, I am going to have a fun weekend but try to avoid too many excesses this weekend so as to capitalise on my good start.

virginposter Thu 04-Jul-13 13:22:00

mumof well done on a good start. Isn't it great that with a few weeks of tighter control you will soon be back to maintaining and able to indulge even more grin

thanks virgin it is great, just a shame it had to get to 6 pounds up before i took action!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now