5:2 Diet thread! Number 17- ready for Spring! Any day now!

(1000 Posts)
GreenEggsAndNichts Mon 08-Apr-13 13:21:14

The continuing thread for those of us following either the 5:2 diet or the alternate-day fasting diet.

The 5:2 diet was featured on Horizon in August 2012, and essentially requires you to fast for 2 non-consecutive days per week. The other 5 days, you can eat what you like, or approximately your TDEE (see explanation below). Alternate-day fasting is just how it sounds; you fast every other day. By "fasting", we mean that we keep our calorie consumption very low, around 500 calories on average for a woman, 600 for a man, on those days.

You'll find on these threads we use a number of acronyms. If you're new to the threads, or Mumsnet in general, they might not make much sense.

WOE/WOL = Way Of Eating/Way Of Life. We use this term instead of "diet" as many of us see this as something to do in the long term.

MFP = My Fitness Pal, a website many use for keeping track of the number of calories they're eating.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure, quantifies the number of calories you burn in a day. This measure is best estimated by scaling your Basal Metabolic Rate to your level of activity. TDEE is critical in tailoring your nutrition plan to desired fitness goals. Here is a link to a calculator to help you figure out how many calories you should be eating in a day.

ADF = Alternate-day Fasting, as it says on the tin, fasting every other day rather than 5:2.

Michael Mosley has recently unveiled a new website to accompany his new book on the subject. Please go check them out, as he's the whole reason most of us are here!

I know a number of people lurk on this thread, as this is currently quite popular. Please just jump in and post if you're new- you'll find a lot of support here. smile

Here is a list of links to get you started with this way of eating. Please let us know if you find a new article or some other information online:

First things first, here are links to some of our previous threads: most recent one before that another one!

Another thread which breadandwine has started is a good resource for some of the links and tips that get lost in these big threads. In addition to sharing links, we try to condense some of our top tips for fasting there. Keep in mind, we all do this differently, so these are just tips, not rules. This might be a good place to catch up with us if you're feeling a bit lost!

frenchfancy has a recipe thread over here, please post any low-calorie recipes there so they don't get lost in these bigger threads!

If you've been at this a while and are moving on to maintaining your goal weight, there is a thread here to discuss that.

Here is the link to the BBC article regarding Michael Mosley's findings, which was featured on Horizon.

There's a link to the aforementioned Horizon programme here.

A blog post here gives some of the scientific explanation for why this way of eating helps you to not only lose weight, but improve your all-around health.

A Telegraph article which comments on the diet and gives a brief overview by Dr Mosley himself, very informative if you're just starting.

A study discussed here gives commentary specifically addressing the effect of this diet on obese people (both men and women), with regard to both health and weight loss. ("After 8 weeks of treatment, participants had an average 12.5 lbs reduction in body weight and a 4 cm decrease in waist circumference. Total fat mass declined by about 12 lbs while lean body mass remained relatively constant.) it also mentions "Plasma adiponectin, a protein hormone that is elevated in obesity and associated with heart disease, dropped by 30%. As did LDL cholesterol (25%) and triglycerides (32%).")

Something to consider if you are currently your ideal BMI: this appears to suggest the benefits for women at a lower BMI might not be seeing the same health benefits that are found on men at their ideal BMI.

A BIG THANK YOU to all who have been contributing, btw. Most of us are learning this way of eating as we go along. All of the links above have been posted by others in our previous threads, and they've been very helpful. Sorry if I haven't given credit where it's due, but it was just enough of a job getting all the links re-copied and back into one post.

Come join us, and tell us about your experiences with this diet!

BetsyVanBell Mon 08-Apr-13 19:41:10

Itsa I'm eversoslightly drunk right now so I can say will absolute confidence that I will indeed be popping on the running shoes tomorrow morning grin Immagonnadoithyeah!

tbh I'm rather enjoying being able to drink - something I apparently can't do when I'm fasting regularly. I may not enjoy it so much when I'm running tomorrow...

MintyyAeroEgg Mon 08-Apr-13 19:44:39

Marking place.

Same old story: dh and I started 5:2 on 1st September.

Dh has lost coming up to 2 stone.

I have lost 4-7lb. With at least 2 more like 2 and a half stone to go.

We had a couple of weeks off at Christmas and I missed 3 fasts recently due to Easter hols abroad (and boy could I feel the weight piling back on the minute my back was turned).

Pret A Manger thai chicken soup for lunch today (bloody gorgeous) and a salad with prawns, chilli and coriander tonight.

Good luck everybody!

BetsyVanBell Mon 08-Apr-13 19:46:50

greenfig I will Jillian with you but a run tomorrow I think while DH is still around. Oh and btw, the cheapo Primarmani bikini wasn't ideal for actual swimming; fasting has lost me a whole lot of boobulage (I wasn't well endowed to begin with) and the firm, padded cups had a habit of filling up and flipping if I swam with any speed whatsoever! Amusing in a way but not exactly the effect I was after!

BetsyVanBell Mon 08-Apr-13 19:49:59

Minty So although barely losing it is allowing you to maintain? Better than nothing smile, well blooming done for persevering nonetheless. Have you had any bloodwork done to find out if it's having an unseen effect?

SaltyandSweet Mon 08-Apr-13 19:54:25

greenfig fast fail here too today sad First time ever since starting the 4:3 version of this about 7 weeks ago. Was going so well too, then came time for my kids' dinner and all willpower went out the window. I ended up eating with them. So am going to call today a "mini fast" and fast tomorrow, Thursday and Friday [braces self]

peplum41 Mon 08-Apr-13 19:59:22

woh this new threads took off fast, mondays always busy.

ellen normally when I lose weight my boobs are the first thing to be sacrificed and my belly and back fat cling on for dear life, being an apple shaped chubster. But this time Ive lost at least 2 inches off the waist and old bras that were too tight round the back so shoved to the back of the drawer now fit, but the boobs seem the same. This must be something to do with the good effects on insulin this WOE has. If you're pear shaped though, it may be different. Hope you can switch your greedy pig switch off, you know what to dowink And you betsy

saf well done for hitting the tens, and thanks for your clothing feedback. You're 3.5 inches taller than me so much slimmer for the weight.

treacleq 5lbs off in 5 weeks is great. At least with having more to lose you have a higher Tdee, so wont feel deprived. Just think where you will be by the end of summer or even this time next year!

mehefin just done my nights, spent ages looking at some of the old threads really kept me awake and focused on not eating the biscuits one of the service users dad had brought for staff. I did have 4, but then started my fast at 1am, not eaten since then.

bread&wine will look out for the lidl biscuits, also try to avoid palm oil and prefer dairy free although no longer a vegan. It was sheer lack of will power that made me give up, but I live in the countryside and I see stuff, enough said. I attempted a 48 hour with a bookend mini fast at the weekend, would have made it too, but got really desperate at 4am at work. Stiil got lots of food free hours in which is my main goal. Thanks for staying with us on mumsnet with all this womens talk, my Dh couldnt hack itgrin.

PoshVoice Mon 08-Apr-13 20:12:06

First week back on 5:2 this week after two 6:1 weeks due to Easter. Weight has been dropping nicely up until Easter (about 0.4 kg a week) and stayed still during Easter which I was surprised about.

Reached a milestone that I had to share....

I have dropped coat size from L to M!!! ::little dance::

Felt really good in my new coat walking round Brum today (I'm sooooo sad 😚)

Good luck to everyone fasting this week

FiFizz Mon 08-Apr-13 20:17:42

Hi everyone, hope it,s ok to join you all ? I've been reading these threads since mid jan,thought its about time I joined in 😀.I've about a stone to lose.I started this WOL in feb and lost 4 lbs in 5 wks, which is great, unfortunately I've put back on the 4 lbs on holiday to Egypt, and all those yummy Easter eggs at Easter ! Well Easter eggs all eaten now so first fast day again today.gone very well up to now 550 cals, although must resist a glass of wine this evening 😁

FiFizz Mon 08-Apr-13 20:19:35

Oops my smiley faces don't seem to work , strange number things?

ellenbrody Mon 08-Apr-13 20:22:16

Ha ha betsy, just imagining the falling out boobies problem! I can sympathise, it happens to me too. I have resorted to Primarni's gel filled bras for everyday now, rather than just for 'special'.

PoshVoice Mon 08-Apr-13 20:23:57

Fifizz,

Techie answer : utf-8 double encoding

English answer : this message board doesn't accept smiley faces other than those through the one entered.

Hth

PoshVoice Mon 08-Apr-13 20:26:09

I of course meant

English answer : this message board doesn't accept smiley faces other than those through the one entered as per the smiley list

Memo to self : preview posts before posting

Dotty342kids Mon 08-Apr-13 20:27:32

poshvoice ooh, I bet that felt good! It's great to hear / read about all these little milestones that people are having, whether that's weight, feeling good, changing clothes size and yes, losing boobage!
For me the belly is definitely shrinking, even if the weight loss is fairly slow. I know clothes are fitting better now and I'm very much looking forward to them becoming too big for me - though that may be a little way off yet!

HugAndRoll Mon 08-Apr-13 20:33:37

Marking place.

Fast day tomorrow which is much needed.

FiFizz Mon 08-Apr-13 20:34:20

Thanks poshvoice (smile)

PoshVoice Mon 08-Apr-13 20:35:38

How long have you been 5:2 ing dotty?

FiFizz Mon 08-Apr-13 20:35:49

Haha,I'm wrong again

PoshVoice Mon 08-Apr-13 20:37:02

Almost there fifizz, use square brackets next time wink

Southeastdweller Mon 08-Apr-13 20:37:56

Doing 4:3 this week and fasting today. I've been quite down about some things the past few days (not this WOL which I generally love). There's a small part of me that wants to crack open the wine in the fridge and scoff some chocolate but I know I won't and I think it's because I've done so well so far, can see the results, and the tales here are so inspiring. I'm always fine with fast days but I admit I do struggle sometimes with non-fast days. It's all a learning curve.

greeneggs I just tried your broccoli and humous idea and enjoyed it, surprisingly, so thanks. I sprinkled some chilli seeds on it too.

Fasting again tomorrow. Did consecutive fasts two weeks ago and it was OK.

Good luck to everyone this week.

FiFizz Mon 08-Apr-13 20:39:02

Ta grin

Curlylox Mon 08-Apr-13 20:49:00

Hello everyone. Been lurking a while now but keeping up with you all hasn't been easy. Wonderful to hear so many of you are doing so well. I've been doing the 5:2 since beginning of February and have lost 18lbs, however I've been exercising a fair bit too. Its the only diet I've managed to do so well in and find quite easy. This one is definitely for keeps.

WhitingLikeTheFish Mon 08-Apr-13 20:50:38

greenfig what is jillianing?
I didn't realise you were 4:3 ing. I wonder if I should try to do that to kick start my weight loss. How long did you 5:2 it before you stepped it up?

FiFizz Mon 08-Apr-13 20:51:46

Hi greenfig I've been doing jillian, ripped in 30, before hols, though been very lazy since I've been back . Have you tried the 30 day shred, it's a killer ! I've not done that since last year, sweat buckets not attractive smile

WhitingLikeTheFish Mon 08-Apr-13 20:51:50

Curlylox what is the secret of your success..

FiFizz Mon 08-Apr-13 20:54:02

Curlylox, 18lbs that's fab we'll done you .

This thread is not accepting new messages.