5:2 Diet Thread! Number sweet 16!

(1000 Posts)
GreenEggsAndNichts Fri 22-Mar-13 20:05:14

The continuing thread for those of us following either the 5:2 diet or the alternate-day fasting diet.

The 5:2 diet was featured on Horizon in August 2012, and essentially requires you to fast for 2 non-consecutive days per week. The other 5 days, you can eat what you like, or approximately your TDEE (see explanation below). Alternate-day fasting is just how it sounds; you fast every other day. By "fasting", we mean that we keep our calorie consumption very low, around 500 calories on average for a woman, 600 for a man, on those days.

You'll find on these threads we use a number of acronyms. If you're new to the threads, or Mumsnet in general, they might not make much sense.

WOE/WOL = Way Of Eating/Way Of Life. We use this term instead of "diet" as many of us see this as something to do in the long term.

MFP = My Fitness Pal, a website many use for keeping track of the number of calories they're eating.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure, quantifies the number of calories you burn in a day. This measure is best estimated by scaling your Basal Metabolic Rate to your level of activity. TDEE is critical in tailoring your nutrition plan to desired fitness goals. Here is a link to a calculator to help you figure out how many calories you should be eating in a day.

ADF = Alternate-day Fasting, as it says on the tin, fasting every other day rather than 5:2.

Michael Mosley has recently unveiled a new website to accompany his new book on the subject. Please go check them out, as he's the whole reason most of us are here!

I know a number of people lurk on this thread, as this is currently quite popular. Please just jump in and post if you're new- you'll find a lot of support here.

Here is a list of links to get you started with this way of eating. Please let us know if you find a new article or some other information online:

First things first, here are links to some of our previous threads: most recent one before that another one!

Another thread which breadandwine has started is a good resource for some of the links and tips that get lost in these big threads. In addition to sharing links, we try to condense some of our top tips for fasting there. Keep in mind, we all do this differently, so these are just tips, not rules. This might be a good place to catch up with us if you're feeling a bit lost!

frenchfancy has a recipe thread over here, please post any low-calorie recipes there so they don't get lost in these bigger threads!

If you've been at this a while and are moving on to maintaining your goal weight, there is a thread here to discuss that.

Here is the link to the BBC article regarding Michael Mosley's findings, which was featured on Horizon.

There's a link to the aforementioned Horizon programme here.

A blog post here gives some of the scientific explanation for why this way of eating helps you to not only lose weight, but improve your all-around health.

A Telegraph article which comments on the diet and gives a brief overview by Dr Mosley himself, very informative if you're just starting.

A study discussed here gives commentary specifically addressing the effect of this diet on obese people (both men and women), with regard to both health and weight loss. ("After 8 weeks of treatment, participants had an average 12.5 lbs reduction in body weight and a 4 cm decrease in waist circumference. Total fat mass declined by about 12 lbs while lean body mass remained relatively constant.) it also mentions "Plasma adiponectin, a protein hormone that is elevated in obesity and associated with heart disease, dropped by 30%. As did LDL cholesterol (25%) and triglycerides (32%).")

Something to consider if you are currently your ideal BMI: this appears to suggest the benefits for women at a lower BMI might not be seeing the same health benefits that are found on men at their ideal BMI.

A BIG THANK YOU to all who have been contributing, btw. Most of us are learning this way of eating as we go along. All of the links above have been posted by others in our previous threads, and they've been very helpful. Sorry if I haven't given credit where it's due, but it was just enough of a job getting all the links re-copied and back into one post.

Come join us, and tell us about your experiences with this diet!

BsshBossh Mon 25-Mar-13 14:41:05

Ezzza I'm the same. Having given up breakfast on fast days and exercising on an empty stomach, I felt such great amounts of energy that I continue to exercise fasted on "eat days" too and skip breakfast. So even after exercise on non-fast days I don't feel the need for food until 1-2-ish. It's made me quite productive on non-fast days too as I simply knuckle down to work. I wasn't able to do this early on in my 5:2 adventure, but find it easy-ish now.

The thing I've realised is that I am a late eater - preferring to save my calories for later in the day.

Works for me smile

Miffytastic Mon 25-Mar-13 14:53:27

((Hugs)) to you GreenEggs

sweetkitty Mon 25-Mar-13 15:44:15

I'm doing ok today, feeling a wee bit light headed and my stomach is complaining a lot. Tried on my dress for DD1s communion and I look pregnant in it, ok it is an 8 and I should just shut up but I'm very small boned, I have skinny little arms and legs below the knee, an ok stomach but have a huge bum and hips in comparison, makes clothes shopping a nightmare. My boobs have gone MIA since I had DC too sad

Chocupid Mon 25-Mar-13 15:47:27

I was doing so well on today's fast, till now, just ate a slice of ham and brown bread!
theres 15 of us going out for a family meal at weekend and i just had to choose my meal from the menu.. It looked soo nice it made my mouth water. Can't wait now!

Need 2 good fast days this week so I can eat without guilt at weekend.

ComeTalkToMe Mon 25-Mar-13 15:57:34

Hi all,

These threads do move fast don't they? Spent lots of time I really should have been working catching up!

I have had quite an indulgent weekend and it's great to not feel bad about it. I'm fasting today and feel good for it. I am looking forward to my soup tonight though as I'm freezing!

Minimammoth Mon 25-Mar-13 16:05:12

Having a fast day, scrambled egg, plus tiny toast, half an apple for lunch. Will have somthing more substantial for supper. Hope that scales are kind tomorrow. Had a little seesaw.

greeneggs - just be good to yourself today and don't worry about the fasting. glad you got to see your mum.

whoever asked about HP beans - i too have noticed tesco's and morrison's don't stock them - they seem to be 'owned' by heinz somehow. i buy them in my local independent shop and someone mentioned they were in poundland (i think) for 3 for a pound on the thread earlier if that helps.

fast day going ok. have just had a marmite drink so i think about 20hrs with nothing then that.

plan is to try and have nothing for a few more hours now.

keep going - not long now till food and bed.

BetsyVanBell Mon 25-Mar-13 16:10:08

chocupid ham and brown bread is not that high calorie-wise! One of my fast day lunches is a sandwich made of that ultra-thin supermarket ham, lots of spinach, tomato on small slices of low GI (ie seeded) brown bread, oh and I use plain yogurt in place of butter or mayo. Comes out at less than 200 cals and keeps me going till the evening!

BetsyVanBell Mon 25-Mar-13 16:12:45

Aww ((((greeneggs)))) be kind to yourself x

Daisy1407 Mon 25-Mar-13 16:38:37

Hi all
I havent been on all weekend i have been far too busy FILLING MY FACE! Been very Naughty - However today is a new day and im fasting today - for this evening i am going to try the Slim a pasta? Anyone tried? i Cant believe its so low calorie - im assuming its not going to be amazingly tasty - However im gonna do some bacon and lots of garlic in a tomato sauce

This should come in about 250 - this will leave me jelly, yogurt, and hot chocolate - Worth a try

Ill let you kow what its like!

Hope you have all had a lovely weekend

i weighed in this morning and lost 1lb this is only 3 lb total in about 6/7 weeks but im still pigging out on my feed days and i weigh 9stone 7 so its gonna take longer

i feel great x

virginposter Mon 25-Mar-13 16:44:12

Greeneggs I know exactly how you are feeling. In the 90's I lived in the USA for 2 years and every time we had visitors from UK it was great until it was time for them to leave. The number of times I cried at Cincinnatti airport and felt as though my heart would break are too many to count. But I survived and it was so wonderful to see them. Hope you feel better soon (hug) sad

Also, last week I had a very bad cold so abandoned my first fast and then decided to not do any at all that week - eek hadn't done that before not even at Christmas. But I felt the need to be good to myself and not push too much, so I ate what I wanted when I wanted (including my first Indian takeaway since starting this in August) and this week I am back on the wagon with no guilt only determination to be good and strong and back to dropping another couple of lbs. My first fast day tomorrow and I'm looking forwards to it smile

GreenEggsAndNichts Mon 25-Mar-13 16:45:19

Thanks everyone thanks The house feels very empty without her here. I'm not going overboard or anything but it was nice to have a hot chocolate and feel a bit sorry for myself. Shall be back to it tomorrow.

Talkinpeace Mon 25-Mar-13 17:02:06

re Baked Beans - these are DHs and my favourite - slightly dearer but SO much nicer www.wholeearthfoods.com/products/11

((((Greeneggs)))) Maybe your Mom will take the clouds back home with her and leave us a little sunshine ...

sure they're lovely tip but too many cals.

Talkinpeace Mon 25-Mar-13 17:23:13

saf
324 calories per tin does not sound like too much to me : with a slice of lean ham under and a scrambled egg on the side = my 500 calorie supper. DH has a hunk of bread with his tin to make 600 calories.
NOM NOM
and they are much lower in sugar than normal beans ....

BetsyVanBell Mon 25-Mar-13 18:02:45

Oh bugger. Eaten a vast quantity of walnuts and then a large fresh baked bread roll with butter to go with my actual dinner which was some good wholesome soup.

However, did manage a 22 hour zero calorie fast prior to that. So better than nothing I suppose.

I blame this expletive weather and my 5.30 start to the day.

FastFeeder Mon 25-Mar-13 18:16:38

Agree that beans are a great fasting-day food. I've never liked canned baked beans much - but they're not at all hard to make from scratch (and that way you can control the sugar and salt content). My recipe over here makes six servings at 230 calories each.

tracedw Mon 25-Mar-13 18:21:02

Hello all, i had a great fast day today, my last food yesterday was a full Sunday roast at around 3.30ish though i did have a couple of glasses wine after....managed to hold off eating until 4.30pm and even then i only broke my fast because i couldnt bear to throw away the lovely just bought apple that i had prepared for ds3 ( the little monkey didnt touch it at all )
We have had an early dinner tonight of stir fry king prawns as DH is off to a concert tonight ( Simple Minds .....yup, they are still going/have reformed)hmm
So nicely full and have a bit of knitting lined up for later grin

Chocupid Mon 25-Mar-13 18:21:44

Thanks Betsy due my weight watcher meal of 226 cals now, so may even have more bread and still be in my 500 limit grin

Yes the Weather does affect us, just think how great we'll all be at this when the sun finally appears!
Don't worry you can go to bed again soon!

bugsyburge Mon 25-Mar-13 19:41:38

hi all, I've decided to delurk and join in shock

I've done my first 10 days of ADF and am pleased to report I have lost 4 lbs, 3/4in from my waist & 1.5ins from my hips. I only want to lose about a stone so I'm chuffed with these results. I normally follow a healthy diet but I eat HUGE portions!!! I've found ADF really works for me because beforehand I would eat the same food day in day out whereas this forces me to shake up my food intake.

fast day for me today so I had2 rice crackers with almond butter at 3pm & then I've just had prawns & broccoli with garlic and chilli, lovely smile

BsshBossh Mon 25-Mar-13 19:44:38

My fast day is coming to an end. By the time I have my 500 cal dinner (of chicken noodle soup and sourdough bread) I'll have made it to 22 hours with no food. Happy with that. This is my 17th 20+ hour fast and here are a few observations:

- I'm not hungry at all on fast days but I am head hungry - in that I miss the pleasures and rituals of preparing and eating food. It's okay as I know I won't be fasting the next day but...
- I am much more productive on fast days. Because I'm not stopping regularly to think about, fix myself and eat food I get loads of work done without interruption
- I exercise better on an empty stomach; related to this - I have lots of energy on fast days
- Though I'm still eating a bit of junk, I am eating far healthier on non-fast days than before I started IF; my appetite has reset itself to desire cleaner, whole foods
- I finally recognise physical hunger and physical fullness - something I was never able to do when I tried Paul McKenna and Intuitive Eating; I feel fuller more quickly

I'm still at the beginning of the IF journey (though only a few pounds to my goal weight) but so far? It's been fucking awesome!

ellenbrody Mon 25-Mar-13 19:50:47

You're all right - it's blardy freezing!! My poor fingers are blue! I packed ham and salad for lunch today, but it was sooo cold I craved stodge - I ate 3 rich tea biscuits angry.

With dinner and a couple of milky teas I'm at about 600. Not terrible, but not ideal.

To those of you that manage to exercise on fast days: I just can't!
Whilst not light headed, I often get wobbly legs which makes it a bit dodgy!

Madondogs Mon 25-Mar-13 20:08:24

Keep me strong fellow fasters, finding today's fast very difficult.
I have lost 14 lb since Feb 18th so overall I am pleased. Today however I am STARVING! Ate more carbs than I normally do on the weekend. I have felt really hungry all day... And have been finding the fast days easy.

I also think that the novelty of this WOE is wearing off, don't get me wrong, I think it's great and I am determined to continue, but I have a lot of weight to lose and feel a bit down about it today.

BetsyVanBell Mon 25-Mar-13 20:11:43

Well fast day has been a shambles really, all healthy enough foods but just too much off it - think I'm at 1100 calories at least (though stuffed admittedly). I will aim to get a better night's sleep, wear warmer clothes tomorrow and try again smile

I wish I fancied the all the poor salad in the fridge instead of the bread I keep inexplicably making. I have actually been pretty restrained with the homemade bread - I used to gobble down half a loaf before it had even cooled pre 5:2ing so there's definitely progress there. And I shall look forward to breaking tomorrow's fast with a ham salad sandwich lunch using 2 modest slices of said cooling bread which is tantalising my tastebuds as I type

I'm quite keen on try out this whole bread dough as pastry concept - I shall have to go browse Bread&Wine's blog for tips.

BsshBossh Mon 25-Mar-13 20:12:04

Madon could it be the relentessly freezing weather that's making it hard for you? I work from home so I whack the heating up and wear several layers; I also exercise and try and keep moving/busy which helps...

This thread is not accepting new messages.