Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

When can you get the mirena coil fitted? Also a few questions about it.

(28 Posts)
CherryPie3 Fri 26-Apr-13 15:39:05

I had my 4th Depo Provera jab on Monday but I was 13 days late with it (hoping I'll still be covered?)

I've never had my jab on time so it's a wonder I'm not bloody pregnant!

This is the reason I'm thinking about the mirena. Can I have it fitted while Depo is in my system? Say the week before my next jab is due?

- How big is it?
- Who puts it in? -
What's the process? (Doctor/nurse/f.p.clinic?)
- Is it free?

I've heard they come out easily, sometimes unnoticed! How common is this? It happened to my friend and she had no idea - was she an odd one?

Anything else I need to consider?

Thanks smile

Dahlialover Thu 02-May-13 11:30:41

I think the perforation rate is under 1 in 1000. With an experienced practicioner, it should be near enough zilch.

I have been trying to find out as I knew someone who had that problem and I was worried about it happening to me. She had to have an op to remove it and got sterilised at the same time.

Tallyra Thu 02-May-13 11:43:16

I have had one fitted 3 times and removed for TTC each time. I don't remember my periods stopping!!!
After no 2 was fitted I had to go back to get the strings trimmed as it was hurting dh, but that's the only problem I've had. I have slight depressive tendencies but not noticed much difference with it without. I have no dcs and never had it inserted during a period. there were cramps afterwards but it wasn't particularly worrisome.

CherryPie3 Thu 02-May-13 12:09:33

Thank you dalia and tallyra smile

It's good to know that it isn't painful for everyone although I think I'll be taking anadin or similar beforehand.

Will I have any side effects from double hormones do you think? My next jab is due mid July but will be on holiday beforehand. So that's why I was thinking of getting it fitted in June. (We travel 30th June).

I don't mind the side effects if it's mood swings etc, I'd just like to warn dh! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now