Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications, experience, or professional qualifications of anyone posting on Mumsnet Talk and cannot be held responsible for any advice given on the site. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

IUD - copper coil side effects

(4 Posts)
ELH1 Thu 07-Mar-13 10:25:27

Many thanks for your replies.

Jeee, I've not thought too much about the cap, but I like the idea of the coil and not having to think about it.

Thanks again

FallingOver Wed 06-Mar-13 16:25:17

I've had the copper coil for just over 2 years. Heavier periods for around the first year (2/3 days of very heavy flow, then a slightly longer tail-off, about 6 days bleeding in total, but no flooding or anything like that), along with some more period pain as well. But nothing unmanageable. I have found it great - no mood swings, no acne, no migraines like I had before with a variety of hormonal contraception. I recommend it, based on my experience.

jeee Wed 06-Mar-13 11:15:41

I had the copper coil fitted after DC3 (like you I was worried about the mirena given my experience with five or six different pills - all left me very sick), and gave it a year to settle down. At this point I was still having massively heavy periods that lasted for three weeks. I gave up and had it removed.

After it was removed (and DC4 had come along) I decided to try the mirena (we'd tried most of the non-permanent forms of contraception), and I've got on tolerably well with it. I don't really have periods, I occasionally feel a bit queasy (think very mild morning sickness), and I've had some limited weight gain - which may or may not have something to do with the mirena. I've now been using the mirena for over five years (I'm on mirena no.2 now).

So, in short, I couldn't get on with the copper coil, and have been okay with the mirena.

Have you tried the cap? I used it for a while, and didn't mind it, but wanted something that felt a bit safer IYSWIM.

ELH1 Wed 06-Mar-13 11:05:06

Hi,

I had my second baby 6 weeks ago and am looking at contraception. We want to stop at 2 children so are looking at the coil (so not permanent incase we change our minds).

I like the idea of the non hormonal copper coil as I am worried about the side effects of the hormonal mirena coil.

I know the main side effect of the copper coil is heavier periods. Has anyone had any others? I've done a few searches on google and found people have said they have had weight gain, acne and mood swings ........ But as it doesn't contain hormones I don't understand how this is possible.

I'm now really confused and am thinking if there is possibility of same side effects I may as well go for the mirena and have lighter periods.

I know everyones body is different, but any help / your experiences will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now