Come & join me in general chat all you patents of performers - be it dancers, actors, singers or musicians

(315 Posts)
Picturesinthefirelight Thu 29-Aug-13 13:07:52

There are quite a few if us onhere though I know done if you from NAPM & Balletcoforum too

Here we can have a general chit chat about what our children are up to so we don't clog up the threads on specific topics

So Sparkly, Katy, Cory & loads more. Come chat!

Oh that's hard pictures. She's not allowed to do anything outside school is she? Do the school have a way to help kids with that - it must be quite common? Especially when they're younger?

I thought ds2 might be knocked back a bit as he had such a lucky year last year but he seems genuinely very happy indeed with a reserve place. Seems to realise that's quite an achievement in itself. We've had a look at some of the younger kids who have got places & they're all excellent dancers - he knows he can easily be out danced - singing is his strength.

Does your dd have a particular strength where she shines (singing? From what you've said before?). If so is there a friendly singing teacher at school you can talk to to help boost her confidence? I find ds2 copes well with struggling with dance (is happy to give things a go & proclaim himself the 'worst one there' - e.g. A Matthew Bourne workshop - he came out buzzing & laughing) because he's very confident about his singing & acting. He's also getting the idea that roles are looking for a certain 'type' - so someone who isn't the strongest singer might get cast because they have the right look & are an excellent dancer.

Picturesinthefirelight Thu 20-Mar-14 22:59:16

Well done to him especially as he's so young.

Dd is finding things hard at the moment. She's feeling like she's not as good as everyone else. We're trying to up her confidence.

He was expecting to get the summer skills letter (equivalent to a no) 'as my dance was really rubbish mum', so he's absolutely delighted to have been put on the reserve list. I do know a number of people who have been offered a production from the reserve list so my grand might not be safe yet grin

He was offered another cartoon series last week so any disappointment tempered by that.

morethanpotatoprints Thu 20-Mar-14 14:07:41

Well done to all your dc, just for auditioning. I think they can learn so much from the process and it helps them develop as performers and individuals.
Good luck when results are in. smile

YMT UK reserve list. Which he's delighted with as he said his dance was rubbish grin There weren't many places available for the younger ones so I have told him to be proud of himself. Am slightly relieved not to be forking out a grand - yet - esp as dh's car is falling apart

Oh good luck with all of that cory. Glad the NYT audition was enjoyable - ds2 wants to have a go when he's old enough.

cory Fri 07-Mar-14 17:33:07

<waves back at saintly>

dd had a lovely day auditioning in London for the NYT; no results until April but she thoroughly enjoyed herself and is happy to regard it as a practice run

in the meantime, she has done her first parth an adult amateur group and is getting ready to audition for the next part- I'm a bit hmm about this one as it is rather out of her playing age and would require a lot of work; still, I can see why she feels she wants to push herself

Just checking in with everyone. How did the NYT audition go Cory? Ds2 auditioned for YMT:UK - he enjoyed the audition - said the singing was fine but his dance was 'awkward' (it usually is grin ). I've told him not to expect to get it (he's very young for it anyway) & he already seems to have forgotten about it :boys: He was keen to sign up to a skills course if he doesn't get onto a production, but if we go for that I'll probably just check with them first of all about ages of kids attending before signing up and make sure he's not years younger than everyone else.

We're off to see the Lion King this week - my mum bought tickets for the younger boys, and my dad didn't want to go so I've nabbed his ticket.

Other than that ds2 has joined the school choir which is very small so they gets lots of chance to sing solos etc if they want. The person who runs it is great. He's also just started singing lessons with a brilliant teacher (very young, loves MT, and has worked on west end shows - really reasonable as well). They seem to get on really well - took me ages to find anyone so I'm delighted he's so perfect for ds2.

Oh and ds2 will be doing his final performances in the west end touring show fairly soon, so we're just starting to go over the script together again.

cory Wed 05-Feb-14 22:57:00

<pops in and waves at any performer parents who may be about>

How is everything going?

Is anybody else's child auditioning for the National Youth Theatre?

Dd is going up to London next weekend. Still some work left to do on her monologue.

She has just auditioned for the regional summer programme and is in a play that opens at the end of the month. So busy days.

That distance is protection for the adult performers as well - to prevent any opportunity for false accusations.

eightytwenty Wed 08-Jan-14 20:24:38

Wow. My brain never thinks of these things. Always fear fire, traffic and drowning (albeit not on stage) but never think of paedophiles. But after saville of course I understand safeguards.

Picturesinthefirelight Wed 08-Jan-14 18:38:16

As a chaperone it is one of the things we are told to look out for as although it may be all very innocent it could be a sign a child is being groomed.

teacherwith2kids Wed 08-Jan-14 18:14:57

Think DD will be OKish at the end of the panto run. All the junior cast members come from the same dance school, so she spends many hours each week in the company of most of them anyway.

There is a very firm diostance put between adult and child perfomers - last year a child from a different dance school was removed part way through the run of a panto in the same theatre because there was contact between them and one of the adults on a social media site.

It is DD's second and last go at panto - next opportunity would be in 2 years' time and I am not prepared for her to miss that amount of school time in secondary. So the real sadness may be in the 'not me this time' experience next time round. However, DD is a phlegmatic and very pracrtical child, who will love the extra sleep!

Hope he enjoys it! I was lucky in that my mum decided to take the boys, she bought tickets and my dad then 'didn't fancy it' - so I got his grin

eightytwenty Wed 08-Jan-14 10:17:37

Good to know. Though ds1 always prone to being over emotional! Yes it is lion king! They're going with the school so at least we didn't have to pay for adult tix. Though of course don't get to see it either.

I found the first few times ds2 was sobbing immediately afterwards, flat for a few days then bounced back. Last time he was much better, tears had dried by the time he got home and he was dancing around the kitchen before bedtime. I'm hoping that as this next run is an unexpected extra he will be fine and that he will see it as a bonus iykwim....

But I recommend other auditions etc to take their mind off it! They begin to realise it doesn't have to be a one off.

Hope all goes well - if it's the Lion King he's off to see, we're going to see that in March (but blardy hell at ticket prices!!!).

HSMMaCM Wed 08-Jan-14 08:46:23

DD cried buckets after her last Panto. She is gutted that they are not allowed to keep in touch with the adults. I had something lined up for the next day to take her mind off it. It must be even worse after a longer run.

eightytwenty Tue 07-Jan-14 23:49:26

Many tears tonight. Hopefully mood will be lifted by school trip to west end show (touring) & me trying to arrange a reunion for the children.

I think it is sensible to keep distance between adult performers and children - it needs quite a strong boundary line I think these days with instant access via facebook etc. Just ensures there are no problems.

If he prefers female company he'll probably be fine. ds2 treats girls like an alien species so having boys around that do the same thing has been quite important to him. I'm hoping at some stage he'll start to realise girls can make good friends as well!

eightytwenty Tue 07-Jan-14 10:28:23

That's awful that there is name calling attached. Sadly there are no other boys at school with similar interests so suspect that we may have future trouble ahead. And the drama class itself is mostly girls. He seems to prefer female company but that maybe cause the boys all love sport, Lego or mine craft.

Interesting about social media. Actually makes sense. No contract about that up here that I've seen. But could imagine he might pester them if he did have access!

Production companies usually don't let the kids contact the (adult) cast or crew outside the production. Ds2 isn't allowed to follow any on twitter or facebook for example (he recently opened a twitter account for school, he doesn't have facebook yet). Sometimes his contracts specify that, but it's become a general family rule anyway (and he tends to assume all production companies have the same rules anyway & is so paranoid about breaking a rule he doesn't even try). I do find it quite a sensible rule. He did ask whether he'd ever be allowed to follow them and I said when he was 16 (might need to think that through at the time - but that's years away anyway at the moment)

Good idea to keep in contact with other kids though. DS2 recently spent a couple of days filming with 2 other boys and by the end of the second day they were good buddies. I keep in contact with the mums and by extension the boys, it's good for them to see what their mates are doing as well. As they get older as you say they can add each other on facebook etc & chat that way. I think it's probably particularly helpful for boys in the performing arts - ds2 already sometimes gets called gay at school for acting (I can't imagine he'll tell anyone he's going to a Matthew Bourne workshop grin ) and it's good for him to know other boys he likes doing the same things.

He keeps getting more goes at the tour because they keep adding tour dates at places that he can do the show. It really will be the last time this time though as the tour has nearly finished.

eightytwenty Tue 07-Jan-14 09:29:21

Thanks saintly. It's good to hear we're not alone.

Let him send a text to one of the other young company this morning and gave him ds1's email so perhaps communication with him will help.
Guess when he's older social media will let him keep in touch with some of the main cast/ crew should he wish.

It's great that other stuff has come up so quickly go your ds. I always think "well it's been fab while it lasts" but guess there is a chance he might get more work now he's done two things. Of course there is an impact to family life so also quite keen on a bit of a gap so we can re-balance with the others.

When does your ds finish his final run & why do they keep extending?

It's actually me that's in touch with the chaperone btw - but he can message her on the family Skype - she's an actress & he likes to message her before auditions for advice. She's lovely, did a West End stint when she was ds2's age & is a great mini mentor for him. She's also told him he has to learn to be patient & given him lots of advice on dealing with waiting to hear about auditions & thinking about back ups for acting. She says a lot of the same stuff as me, but she has actual experience & he listens to her.

We always have tears the last night. The first time it happened I was a bit stumped, but the cast were there & were lovely to him. He was very flat after the first run of his current show (partly because he thought that was it - he didn't know he had additional runs coming up, but also he was shattered- I took him out for tea & cake the next day & he had an unheard of afternoon sleep). He also was upset after round 2, but mainly I think because he loved his chaperone, once he worked out he could stay in touch he cheered up. I'm hoping he'll be better after this third run as a) it's a bonus - not something he expected to happen b) we have tickets to see the show the day after he finishes his shows. I originally wasn't going to let him so it's a big treat.

I find having other things lined up helps. So the day after his last tour (when he thought that was it), he was asked to audition for a big voiceover job - so he immediately had a script to learn. He got that so that took his mind off the other thing finishing. And then he got something else unexpected. So he's getting the idea of there being other things & other nice people to meet.

It must be hard finishing a run - the companies always seem close knit & it's always an intense time. I do find that ds2 is learning to bounce back though. But I guess it's just learning through experience.

eightytwenty Mon 06-Jan-14 23:40:27

Anyone have any tips to deal with "last night-itis"? Ds has just finished his run of 35 performances in a professional Christmas production (theatre not panto, and he is being a paid a nominal amount). But is now very down about missing the cast and life returning to normal. Though this is his second casting, it was very special with near sell outs, great reviews and fab camaraderie between the young actors. Real life is likely to feel quite flat in comparison.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now