What sport?

(12 Posts)
NewFairy Thu 08-Aug-13 08:41:12

My ds always enjoyed swimming, but hated competitive swimming, so stopped after getting the ASA badges.
For his DofE he found a local lifesaving club which teaches the swimming lifeguard qualification and he joined that. Sometimes it's about being a bit creative about what you enjoy.

Nata80 Fri 02-Aug-13 12:20:37

My son hates competetive sport but really loves climbing. He started indoor and now he climbs outside too. Have a look here for your nearest indoor wall: www.ukclimbing.com/listings/?t=wall

Nata

taleteller Fri 26-Jul-13 20:31:32

My non sporty DD has really taken to indoor climbing - she is younger but they have a group for secondary school age and it is quite a cool sport which has different levels to achieve. Honestly would never have thought it of her but I guess you never know till you try something. The school holidays are a good chance to try things out. Another idea is archery. Sometimes I think it just depends what there is in your area and how good the people are who run it as to whether they enjoy it.

RedHelenB Fri 26-Jul-13 20:17:37

Join a gym?

BackforGood Tue 23-Jul-13 23:58:33

Yes - she can do any sport, as long as she shows commitment over time, and some level of improvement or achievement.

Emarri Tue 23-Jul-13 23:50:56

Do you think tabble tennis or badminton would be any good?

DeWe Mon 08-Jul-13 12:28:20

Talk with your local ballet school.
Dd1 (age 12yo) has someone starting in their group (grade 3) next term who did one term of ballet some time ago. She came for a trial and the teacher is happy for her to join in at that level, and thinks she'll be fine in that class.

slug Mon 08-Jul-13 12:05:51

Synchronised swimming? It might be acceptable to a dancer

lljkk Mon 08-Jul-13 11:14:24

rowing? I seem to know a lot of non-sporty people who take to rowing.
Could skating count?

lechatnoir Sun 07-Jul-13 23:18:03

I started Judo at 13 and loved it so suggest that or any other martial art

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 06-Jul-13 22:35:05

Think the best thing to do is have a word with your local ballet school first, then have a word with the DofE leader. If ballet is a no-go there is a list of suggestions on the DofE website

Emarri Sat 06-Jul-13 21:59:48

DD1will be doing d of e soon and needs a sport. However she isnt sporty at all. She likes ballet but i think 14 is too old to start. Any ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now