Talk to me about ISTD Modern Theatre dance exam results.

(29 Posts)
morethanpotatoprints Tue 25-Jun-13 19:06:45

Hello.

My dd has done grade one and I don't understand the terminology can somebody explain these terms please and what they mean in the results.

Line and precision of movement.
Use of space
sense of performance.

Also as these are marked individually how do they relate to the set amalgamation and the dance. Does it mean that all the listed marks attainable were gained from amalgamation and dance?

I want to help dd move forward and not sure what it all means, it is rare to have time with her teacher.

Picturesinthefirelight Fri 28-Jun-13 01:22:14

Even if they don't do the exams though they are still paying for the class and deserve the attention.

Some if dds classes are non exam but each child gets attention.

Sparklymommy Fri 28-Jun-13 08:50:18

Dds school have a lot of very committed dancers, and many go on to vocational schools. We had a girl go to Hammond last September at 11, this year we have one girl going to White Lodge (the royal ballet). We have several at Elmhirst in Birmingham too. Many of our seniors go away to vocational colleges and we get very excited when they come back for a visit! We have one girl who was Cinderella at Disneyland Paris, a boy in Starlight express and many many others.

As for classes, dd dances with a core group who range in age from 9-13 and seem to progress at a quite quick pace. Dd is currently grade 5 ballet/ Interfoundation ballet (she has 7 ballet classes a week. She is grade 4 modern and grade 3 tap. She started dancing at 2 and performs every year (15 months ) in the dance school show, every couple of months in festivals and also does panto, a local variety show and any other performance oppurtunity she can get. She is going into y6 in September. She also has an audition on Tuesday for Veruca in Charlie and the chocolate factory in London.

morethanpotatoprints Fri 28-Jun-13 13:57:40

Pictures

I think the non exam students still do get the attention during the saturday class, which is the biggest. During the weekly class there are fewer in the actual exam class, but not few enough during the lower grades. The senior and prefect classes are a lot smaller, some only have 8. The intermediates have around 15 or less in each class.

Sparkly
Best wishes and Good Luck to your dd for tuesday, its a lovely part. My dd keeps wishing something like Annie might reappear. She wanted to audition for the last round of Matilda but when we received the info she was half an inch too tall to even audition sad. Singing is the stronger of the two.

Sparklymommy Sat 29-Jun-13 17:58:03

Dd auditioned for Matilda about two years ago. She enjoyed the experience but wasn't what they were looking for at the time. That was her first big audition and things have been quiet since. We shall see...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now