Too old to start a second instrument?

(31 Posts)
Emarri Sun 12-May-13 17:58:49

DD1 is nearly 13 and movimg up to yr 10. Started playing keyboard this yr and doing grade 1 in june. Just got an 8b on a music composition. Also dabbles in guitar and recorder, will be learning a brass instrument in an out of school club soon. But is 14 too late to start a serious second instrument?

thesecretmusicteacher Tue 14-May-13 20:42:35

she cannot and should not simultaneously take up violin and a brass instrument, nor should she attempt to teach herself either.

Once she has picked one (one!!!) then off you go. Of course she's not too old.

Seriously though, violin really is hard. Brighter people than you or I have devoted their lives to mastering it, and they didn't master trumpet at the same time.

Pythonesque Tue 14-May-13 21:19:37

I'm a bit puzzled by this one. From your initial post, I would have said, focus on continuing to develop keyboard/piano skills, and work on the brass instrument she's planning to take up. Just make sure she learns an orchestral brass instrument and there you go. More feasible than trying to work on 3 instruments seriously.

neolara Tue 14-May-13 21:24:25

No, it's not. I took up piano at 14 and had passed grade 5 within 10 months and grade 6 within a further 8 months. It's much easier to learn an instrument when you already know how music works and at 14 you're much more co-ordinated that when you are 7, so it's easier to get your fingers to do what you want.

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 14-May-13 21:27:09

With regards to UCAS points they can be used at some universities but not if hey are too similar eg. at the uni I went to and the conservatoire dh went to Grade 8 practical & theory could be used in lieu of music A level

The school dd will be going to doesnt offer a level dance or drama so she will use LAMDA & RAD grades instead.

morethanpotatoprints Mon 20-May-13 16:45:40

I don't think its ever too late to learn a second or subsequent instrument. I would advise perhaps keeping to the same family if swift progress is required.
I think brass, strings, woodwind may be too much difference if time is of the essence.
Its amazing the progress that can be made though if a person is determined and puts in the required time and effort to practice.
Don't forget that it isn't necessary to take each exam to move up to the next grade. This can sometimes save time, but if each grade is required for motivation purposes there isn't a lot you can do.

Emarri Tue 28-May-13 12:15:27

Update : she is going to learn the cornet at a club and continue with keyboard. She will keep the guitar and recorder as occasional hobbies and if we can find a good instrument at a local car boot sale cheaply she will teach herself that. Thanks for your answers grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now