A term of violin and cannot play simple basic tune?

(76 Posts)

Is that normal?

She has been doing violin after school since September, they didnt even use the bow till November, she cannot play anything at all not even a very basic couple of notes tune.

Is this normal or am I wasting my money?

sorry I should add lessons are half an hour and there is just dd and one boy in the class.

Chubfuddler Sat 29-Dec-12 16:14:53

So ages had about 12 lessons - are these group or individual? Depends on her age but unsurprising, violin is very slow going. Plus presumably she's having to learn to read music at the same time, which is not to be underestimated.

Chubfuddler Sat 29-Dec-12 16:15:26

X posted. Half hour shared lesson, how much does she practice at home?

Bonsoir Sat 29-Dec-12 16:19:25

Is she doing music theory as well, or just the violin lesson?

My DD did a 25 hour intensive piano course in July and then started lessons (with the same teacher) in September - she does 1/2 an hour of individual piano tuition and one hour of music theory in a small group every week. She can now play about 20 very short, simple pieces (think Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and Old McDonald Had a Farm), reading the music. We were at a friend's house the other day and her two boys, of a similar age to DD, did the same 25 hour intensive course in July but have continued with only 1/2 an hour of shared piano tuition (no theory) every week. They cannot read music at all and knew a couple of tunes from memory.

She's learning the keys needed as she goes along, so if the song has c, g in that's the only notes she knows.

She's 10

I did clarinet which is slightly easier going so no experience of violin, she's practicing most nights but they are only on page 4 of the basic book so not much to practice.

TackyChristmastreedelivery Sat 29-Dec-12 16:24:31

Normal in my experience. They spend a good few weeks plucking like a guitar and then in violin hold and then they try a bow.

The violin is a total bitch tricky to learn so you are looking at a year before you get a tune you recognise. Sorry about that grin

TackyChristmastreedelivery Sat 29-Dec-12 16:25:41

Plus they are learning to read music at the same time. So there is a fair bit going on - it just sounds the absolute pits!

Chubfuddler Sat 29-Dec-12 16:26:32

The physicality of playing the violin is very hard (well I found it hard when I started at seven) - the posture, finger position, now hold etc. I don't think it can really be compared to piano or clarinet (not that those instruments aren't difficult, but you have to do a huge amount of work with a stringed instrument before you get close to producing a pleasant noise).

TackyChristmastreedelivery Sat 29-Dec-12 16:28:20

It is really tricky. My dd has been playing about 2 years (school lessons, 20 mins once a week in a group and now 20 mins solo) and is on pg 15 of the book they use.

Sigh.

"before you get close to producing a pleasant noise). "

[cries]

GlaikitFizzogTheChristmasElf Sat 29-Dec-12 16:30:01

<passes op ear plugs> you will need them, maybe not soon, but you will! Sorry!

Give it a year, by then she'll have done all the basics. Does she say anything about it?

that's why I asked, there's a Childs in dds class who has done it for 3 and a half years and just done her first exam.

ArkadyRose Sat 29-Dec-12 16:31:10

Violin is very slow going at first, unlike the majority of wind instruments. I'd be very surprised if she manages a recognisable tune in anything under 6 months, to be honest. You certainly won't get much by way of results after only one term. You just have to be patient, encourage her to practice, and keep any disappointment to yourself over the pace so as not to put her off.

She's bored of it Glaik and doesn't want to go anymore but didnt bring the letter home to cancel until after the deadline.

TackyChristmastreedelivery Sat 29-Dec-12 16:32:30

Or learn the piano grin

It seems to be more forgiving.

tugamommy Sat 29-Dec-12 16:33:33

My dd has a 1 to 1 half an hour lesson once a week. She also has half an hour theory and half an hour group playing.
On the first class she learned the string names, how to hold the bow and learned a very simple tune (1 note, playing with her fingers). On the second class she started playing with the bow. By the end of the term she played a simple tune at the concert, maybe 3 notes. Now, another year on, she plays quite complicated tunes, she knows several effects (?) like slurs, staccato, etc., but her reading isn't good at all. Apparentely some children learn the reading well, others prefer to memmorise.

Just to add that she practices a lot less than she should. Maybe 15mins 2-3 times a week.

Oh im not dissapointed arkady, she chose to do it she can plod along how she wants, i was just curious.

tugamommy Sat 29-Dec-12 16:36:10

dd was 5 when she started, btw, she's 7 now.

Chubfuddler Sat 29-Dec-12 16:36:55

If she's bored let her stop. Seriously bloating is hateful if you don't enjoy it.

I was thinking of doing although I would still have to pay for this term as we are past the cancellation date whether she does it or not.

tugamommy Sat 29-Dec-12 16:41:23

I'll disagree with Chubfuddler. We almost stopped the lessons at the end of last year because progress was so slow and dd hated practising. But an extra term made a huge difference. The better she becomes, the more she enjoys it and the faster is the progress.
Definitely worth persevering imo.

TackyChristmastreedelivery Sat 29-Dec-12 16:42:02

Oh stop - count your blessings and write off the money. Or ask if they will let you convert to something else for the rest of term. If she isn't interested now she never ever will be as it takes so so so so so soooooo long before they can knock out twinkle twinkle. It also takes some serious practice and the learning to read music is not to be sniffed at either.

You really have to either want to do it or be one of those kids who just take to maths/music (my dd is the 2nd and finds the violin fairly do-able without actually having an ounce of talent. She'll probably plod to grade 1 or 2, and then when the going gets tough, technical and practise relient, drop it. I am resigned). Or be some sort of musical gifted type.

FrancesFarmer Sat 29-Dec-12 16:44:31

Sounds normal to me. DS started in September and is just now beginning to play notes.

LadyMargolotta Sat 29-Dec-12 16:46:41

Has she had any music lessons at all? If she is learning music for the first time ever, then this is normal. It's taken dd1 a year or more to finally get to grips with the notes for piano, and that's with two music lessons a week - one piano lesson, and one theory lesson. At least piano is not as painful as the violin. I wouldn't recommend violin as a first ever introduction to music.

Also you need to her and encourage her at home.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now