Questions about pole...

(153 Posts)
Stonehaven Thu 06-Feb-14 07:20:29

So. I was wondering why people can't seem to be able to put pole in two seperate boxes. Strippers who can't even invert properly and just rub their crotch against the pole, and people who do it properly. Athletes. Is it really so difficult? No-one bats an eyelid at aerial hoop or silks when it's really just the same thing.

I've never met a 'proper' pole dancer who doesn't look down their nose at strippers. Strippers are turned away from classes in disgust. Classes are taken in bare feet and gym clothes, not thigh high leather boots and little else.

If anyone has any questions, I'd be very happy to answer them.

Mitchy1nge Thu 06-Feb-14 09:30:44

hmm do you have to be someone who can look down your nose at strippers or respond with disgust when encountering them or is pole open to all?

I agree, it really annoys me too. I have to say though, none of the polers I have come across (the pro's I mean) have never looked down their nose at strippers, in fact one of them used to be a stripper.

I have had this convo time and time again on MN, have given up now, people will never change their views and I got fed up bashing my head against a wall.

I love poling, couldn't care less what anyone else thinks about it. Looking forwars to my 2 hour session later smile

Mitchy1nge Thu 06-Feb-14 11:26:29

if pole fitness can only establish itself as a gymnastic sport by sneering at other women who use it for dance and to earn money then that's a shame

I think I'd probably love it, especially after reading (I think she is called Trucks something) description of it, but even the stupid tribal fusion belly dance thing I do feels a bit ridiculous at times

Mitchy1nge Thu 06-Feb-14 11:31:43

so anyway is not true that people don't change their minds, mine has changed a lot from dismissing as a 'sport' you do in high heels to learning about Indian pole gymnastics and stuff, nothing to do with 'celebrating sexuality' (which I usually do by having sex)

But I think the people who sneer and look down their nose, sneer and look down their nose at both, pole fitness and pole dancing. At the end of the day it is gymnastics on a pole......end of!

I have been poling for four years and love it more and more, it's a great form of exercise, brilliant for strength and toning, I have made some fantastic friends from it and it gives you so much more confidence.

I love aerial hoop as well but ultimately pole is best smile

Mitchy1nge Thu 06-Feb-14 12:00:16

almost all exercise gives confidence and friends (if you want them) though

but anyway I would try it (as long as it wasn't all cringe making and as long as I don't have to be horrible about pole dance or stripping!) so that's a volte face from me

I don't think the subject of stripping will arise to be honest.

Give it a go but just beware that you may need to try a few studios before you find one which suits your needs.......I have a fabby instructor now but have been to a few rubbish ones too.

Enjoy smile

Suzannewithaplan Thu 06-Feb-14 12:11:01

Indian pole gymnastics?
Really I had no idea, I must look that up grin

Mitchy1nge Thu 06-Feb-14 12:17:53

have never seen any pole gymnast classes anywhere near me

but live in middle of nowhere

yeah Suzanne, they sort of dress up as Mowgli and play on a giant wooden phallus or rope

they look amazing

Think it's like Chinese pole isn't it? Yep amazing!

Stonehaven Thu 06-Feb-14 23:29:01

Obviously I'm not saying everyone is the same. I'm saying people I've met. And it's more the comparison to strippers rather than the strippers themselves. I could have worded that better!

The was one girl we had who just wanted to learn minge-flashing moves and was generally a bit of a twat. It put everyone off!

Anyway, all that aside, who's going to PPC in Nov?

Stonehaven Thu 06-Feb-14 23:34:51

Betty I've been poling almost four years too. As much as I try, I just cannot get my shoulder mount! I've tried both shoulders, standing lower/higher. Bloody nightmare. However I have mastered the twisted ballerina which is nice! What's your favourite move?

goodasitgets Fri 07-Feb-14 00:20:09

I love pole grin
Been to a fab class tonight and cracked some new moves envy

Stone - I love shoulder mount. Is your head back enough?? Are you getting enough oomph when you kick into it. Have you tried the other hand above?? Is easier from normal cup than twisty - now the elbow gtip sm is a bitch, lol. Really pull on your arms and use your abs. I can deadlift it now and aerial it now as well and amazingly enough find it quite easy.

My favourite move is handspring, love it. I like the strength and control work so like the controlled flag.

Had a back breaking session last night, I swear she broke me smile

Stonehaven Fri 07-Feb-14 18:44:14

I think my head might be too far back! I've got a ridiculously bendy spine and can't keep it straight at all.

My other favourite move is the remi. I love handsprings too but I can only do twisted grip. Working on deadlifting it at the moment.

Did you see Bendy Kate's winning routine from the worlds? Amazing!

Sm is strange but all of a sudden you will do it and wonder what took you so long, lol.

I love Bendy Kate, she is amazing!

Don't know what the Reminis but presuming something Remi from JLN does??

I am going to a Sarah Scott master class in May, super excited about that! just nailed her one handed sm from the floor, blooming hard, needs lots of oomph blush

LowCarbHeaven Sun 09-Feb-14 21:07:55

I have been pondering about going to a class. There is a couple different one in Aberdeen! I have 3 stone to lose though so I might wait till I get some of that off so I feel more comfortable!

I always wonder how good you can get going once a week without practising at home?

Stonehaven Mon 10-Feb-14 09:04:31

LowCarb I went for 18 months before getting my own pole at home and managed to catch up with the advanced students pretty quickly. Plus I had zero upperbody strength! It's surprising how fast you pick it up even going only once a week.

Lowcarb - yep I poled for a good few months before i got my own pole so you will make progress just going once a week for a while. Pole is amazing for upper body strength - I was a right weed when I started and now have muscles on my muscles, lol smile

Yo pole fans.
I have 1 hour rehearsal for a show today, routine to Big Spender - old school Hollywood type dance with nods to Bob Fosse choreography then intermediate/advanced workshop Tues night, and 2 hour dress rehearsal Thurs and Fri for Saturday show.

Doing 5 dances and 30 sec solo routine on spinning pole.
Loved the last month of dance based classes, then it's back to the strength training to nail shoulder mount and start working up to flag.

Some of the best strongest dancers I know have stripped/come from burlesque or circus performance background. They just love pole and can't do stuff they enjoy in clubs as too tiring/bruising/wasted on punters.

Trucks my pole school took part in a show last year (pole factor) and we did a routine to Burlesque Express, it was great fun.

I am doing a routine for a pole comp so working on my video submission at the moment although I have convinced myself there is no way I am going to get through, will be competing with girls half my age shock although I am hoping they will be thinking she aint bad for an old girl, lol.

I hate the spinning pole, makes me feel a bit drunk, really had to adapt my routine to moves I can do whilst spinning and not look to pissed when I come off!

I love flag, it's one of my favs..........trying to brass monkey into flag but can't get the hand position right! I am sure shoulder mount is down to technique...takes a while to get your positioning but once you do you nail it every time.

I love bouncing the sm down the pole smile

goodasitgets Mon 10-Feb-14 16:58:44

You all sound so good! I've been going once or twice a week for about 5 months. Working on butterfly and flatline Scorpio, can invert, crucifix, thigh hold, cross knee release etc

Stonehaven Mon 10-Feb-14 21:17:48

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now