Ten week Countdown to Christmas - let's run/ diet/ shred/ c25k / glam-up together!

(177 Posts)
futureforward Tue 15-Oct-13 09:47:50

Hi all!

Tomorrow, Weds 16th Oct, is, I believe, ten weeks until Christmas! I have definitely put on a few pounds over the summer, I'm unfit, generally a little untoned and my eating habits could do with more fresh stuff and less sugar! cake I also have tons of beauty products claiming to work miracles lining my shelves, but never find the time to use them! lazy

So, I want to use this thread to do a bit of a Christmas Countdown... If you'd like to join me in generally just bettering yourself or your routine then please do grin You can choose which area you want to work on, or try a little bit of all-round life enhancement like I am!

All diets/exercise routines welcome - whatever works for you - I know some people like WW or SW or Paleo, some like zumba and classes while others like to run or shred. I think as long as we're all doing it together and encouraging each other then we'll get there just fine!

So, my three kick-start targets:

1) Start a C25k plan (currently thinking the Zombies Run one looks good!).
2) Start cleansing and moisturising before bed.
3) Keeping sweet treats to the weekend only and try to eat 'clean' in the week.

I am hoping as these things become second nature that I add more things to my targets as the week progresses.

So, who's in with me?! grin

futureforward Tue 15-Oct-13 11:18:04

Bump

EauRouge Tue 15-Oct-13 11:29:08

I'm planning to shred in November. Not sure how to combine it with running though, I am only doing 5k 3 times a week at the moment but planning to build it up gradually. Has anyone else combined running and shredding?

I've no plans to change my diet, it's already pretty healthy. I do need to start moisturising or doing something with my skin though, especially if I start the shred. I'm allergic to my own sweat (now there's an excuse not to exercise grin ) and I get awful, itchy dry skin in places.

futureforward Tue 15-Oct-13 11:58:57

Hello and welcome Eau!

I am sure I have seen before on here lots of people combine the shred and running, so hopefully if this catches the eye of someone they may be able to tell you how they manage it. That said, 5k three times a week? I think that's already pretty impressive - it's where I would love to be at the end of this ten weeks. smile

You've made a good point re itchy and dry skin. I was only thinking about the skin on my face but now it's getting colder and the heating is coming on my legs get terribly dry in winter... I will try to put a dollop of moisturiser on my legs after cleansing at night and then hopefully wake up to lovely soft legs, well I can dream!!

nightshade1 Tue 15-Oct-13 12:50:43

can I join you?
im feeling rather pants about myself and my fitness at the moment
see my thread : where to start? (cant get it to link its just crashing the page when I try hmm )

im trying to get brave enough to start the c25k and I do own a dusty copy of the shred somewhere
please give me a boot up my ample backside smile

EauRouge Tue 15-Oct-13 13:08:51

I possibly should have mentioned that my 5k is always slow and painful grin I would love to be faster and I've tried to keep up with various other exercise (especially weights) but I need something with structure, otherwise I just don't bother. I'm hoping the shred will make me a bit faster and give me the boot I need to enter a 10k.

I did C25K earlier on this year, it's fantastic and doable even if your fitness level is close to zero.

futureforward Tue 15-Oct-13 14:06:43

Yes of course nightshade, welcome to the fold! I will have a look for your thread. I have started the c25k a few times in the past and the first couple of weeks are very gentle as an introduction, so don't worry too much about plucking up the courage. I must say though, I never made it past about week 3 as I lost interest (naughty!) The reviews for the Zombie one say it's a great way to keep interested in the plan though, hence I'm hoping for great things!

Crappyoldframe Tue 15-Oct-13 14:08:05

I'm in, though I'm broken at the moment so no training. Sticking with the diet though!

futureforward Tue 15-Oct-13 14:34:17

Sounds like a plan! I think sometimes it's good not to take too much on in one go as it just means a greater likelihood of being overwhelmed by all your new "must do's" and rules and not sticking to it all! Slow and steady does the trick is my new motto smile

nightshade1 Tue 15-Oct-13 14:37:34

I have new running shoes! that's a start right???

futureforward Tue 15-Oct-13 15:22:36

Yep that definitely counts!! grin

McPie Tue 15-Oct-13 16:35:38

I think I will join you as its got to the point where weight loss has slowed for me and I really need to go back to the basics of my eating plan. So Irn Bru and smoked sausage are going to have to be limited and I need to make sure I get all 8 of my fruit and veg each day more often than I do at the moment.
Exercise wise I am doing well, 4 metafits, 3 body balance, 3 kettlercise 2 boxfit, 2 body combat, a body pump, a body jam and a spin class each week along with running on the treadmill and my new weights plan set by my boxfit instructor. Yes it's a lot but I have been working up to this level for the last 13 months and most of it is done when the kids are at school or in bed saving me from planting myself infront of the tv eating crap!
I want to increase the amount of time I can run for on a treadmill (5/6 mins just now) before I try and run outside which I am looking to start doing in the spring as there is talk of doing the Scottish half marathon in september as well as Tough Mudder again in June and I would like to finish quicker than the 5 hours I did this year grin.

Makingmama Tue 15-Oct-13 16:45:53

Oh I'll join you! I'm at a static weight and very wobbly. Want to lose 5kg and tone up a lot. I did start running recently, but due to a 3 week illness I'm starting from scratch again. Will do the C25K and the 30DS to start then want to move up to 5K210K and 6 pack in 6 weeks...think that takes me up to Xmas nicely....yes I'm very ambitious, just need a lot of motivation to actually start and then somehow actually stick to it!

Diet wise my eating has gone rapidly downhill as husband has been working away for 4 weeks and is still away for another 6. Going to try and do no snacking, hight protein low carb meals and lots of water. Good luck! <<<runs off to eat that last bar of Lindt>>>

futureforward Tue 15-Oct-13 23:09:49

Welcome!! Yes make sure you eat all of that chocolate before bed tonight! I went shopping earlier and didn't buy anything resembling chocolate or ice cream so am very proud of myself!!

Makingmama Wed 16-Oct-13 11:18:15

McPie shock wow you are managing a lot! Well done! Are you very toned now?

So far so good, did shred after my morning coffee. Then spent the last 3 hours running around after my 5, 4 and 2 and 1/2 year old dcs in the pool etc...so that surely has helped as has worn me out! Going to a bbq this afternoon so no doubt will be in a pool again with the dcs.

Oh and the Lindt was SO good, but not going to have a bar that big to myself ever again!

futureforward Wed 16-Oct-13 13:53:03

Hello everyone! So, the ten week countdown is officially ON!! How are you getting on today? Are there any new folk who'd like to join us?!

So far so good for me today, had healthy lunch (home made chicken and sweet corn soup) and going to do my first run after work. Quite excited to see what the zombies have in store for me!! Well done on your morning shred Making!! smile

futureforward Wed 16-Oct-13 15:03:36

Just bumping to see if anyone else fancies joining us! smile

I'll join. I want to shred every day then keep to around 1700 cals per day (mfp). Ideally loose 1 stone by Xmas. I will shred tonight when dh puts dd to bed.

SW spag bol for tea tonight so that's healthy.

McPie Wed 16-Oct-13 16:36:46

Makingmama not even in the slightest sadly sad, I started at 15 1/2 stone and have lost 4 stone but still have to lose 17lb before the nurse will class me as healthy.
I have empty sacks for boobs and my stomach is very wrinkly and deflated but I now manage to fit into a size 12 which is something I never thought I could achieve when I started. I also have quite a small waist which has surprised some people, incliding the MIL who stated at the start I would never stick to it to someone she works with who I am very close to!
I can hold my own boxing against the big blokes and my Boxfit instructor, he was willing to give up his free time to write me up a weights plan and walk me round everything which must mean he doesn't think I'm that much of a lost cause grin.
I bought some Irn Bru earlier but it was a little diddy baby bottle not a can or a big bottle for a change. My problem is that I think that as I do so much a little treat won't hurt and before I know it I have had about 3 or 4 of them in the space of the day. My eating plan worked so well for me at the start and my energy levels are through the roof because I'm eating a healthy diet for a change but I really do need to go back to basics and not cheat and the next 10 weeks sound like a perfect excuse to do so.

Makingmama Wed 16-Oct-13 17:00:22

WOW McPie what an inspiration you are! You've achieved so much and you must be so proud of yourself smile I'm going to put my trainers and weights out ready so I do the shred first thing again.

futureforward Wed 16-Oct-13 23:10:38

Ok, my first zombie chase down, it was good fun,

Welcome glen, were you able to shred tonight? I have just cleansed and moisturised so feeling happy I can tick that off! My diet wasn't terrible but not great in the end, I do confess to munching down a few biscuits after dinner - oops!

Mcpie I agree with Making, you are an inspiration! That is an incredible weight loss, well done. Also I am impressed by your fitness too smile

amateurcynic Wed 16-Oct-13 23:36:59

Hello everyone, please can I join? Would love to lose a stone by Christmas but trying to go slow and steady so we'll see. Using MFP and completed Lev1D7 of the shred today.

Biggest shock for me since counting calories has been olive oil! I used to chuck it on EVERYTHING... no more.

MerylStrop Wed 16-Oct-13 23:43:08

I need a stone off and to be generally in better nick by Christmas

I lost a stone (and one and a half dress sizes) over summer with 5:2ing and swimming 3 times per week. Its all gone to hell in a handcart since back to work and school groundhogness....

So...
1. no more diet coke. or undecaffeinated coffee. gallons of water instead
2. I've managed to lay off the carbs but still desperate for sweet things. so no more sugar, break the habit
3. 3 swims per week minimum, and yoga at least once per week
4. Try running. At least one attempt
5. 5:2 next week, and maybe 4:3 the week after if all else is well in the world

futureforward Thu 17-Oct-13 07:49:11

Good morning and welcome cynic and Meryl!! Really happy that we have got a nice bunch of us together, it's always good to check in for support!

Which I need quite a lot today, our weighing scales have always been in kg (never bothered to change them!) Well, I have just worked out my weight in stones and I am shock. Afraid to say it's the heaviest I've ever been. DH asked me what it was and I wouldn't tell him!

So, renewed momentum from me this morning. I have to get this under control before Christmas and indeed the festive season. I think I will take measurements today so I can see how I progress as the inches come off.

Makingmama Thu 17-Oct-13 08:43:40

future what's the zombie chase down? And try not to focus on the weight, I found making smaller targets e.g. focus on 7 lbs at a time helps not to overwhelm me.
Hi amateur have you noticed any changes yet up to day 7 with the shred?
meryl I also have a very sweet tooth, that's my big downfall...but going to try try try to curb it.
Have just done L1D2 of the shred, I was aching quite a bit after yesterday but managed to get through it once I'd warmed up a bit. It's nearly lunchtime and I haven't eaten anything yet so going to have eggs with salad and a chicken soup so I'll hopefully not need to snack before dinner. have a good day smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now