Anyone fancy starting couch to 5k on 26/8?

(232 Posts)
SevenReasonsToSmile Sun 25-Aug-13 13:27:33

I've done virtually no exercise since I left school, I'm now 27 blush. I weigh over 14 stone and I'm horribly unfit. I have family history of heart disease and high blood pressure, and I've finally realised I drastically need to do something to improve my health and fitness. DH is running his second London marathon next year, and tbh I find it embarrassing that A) I weigh more than him and B) he can run 26 miles, I'd struggle to run 26metres without being breathless.

I'm running in the evenings after DCs have gone to bed, I'll do Monday, Weds/Thurs then again on Saturday. Anyone fancy joining me?

W3 R1 done.... woooooooooooooop!

I'm definitely getting fitter but not really any thinner

DearPrudence Thu 19-Sep-13 21:04:45

Well done wish and sausage smile

I did week 4 run 1 tonight. It felt like a hell of a leap from week 3 so I kept my pace really slow so I could keep going.

oh no! is W4 a really really big leap? I was okay with W3 but was glad it was over....

DearPrudence Thu 19-Sep-13 22:02:47

Well it is for me, but I am pretty fat!

On my app the runs are 3 mins and 5 mins, so they're quite a bit longer than W3, and the walking time is now only half of the running time.

But I did it anyway, and couldn't have done it 2 weeks ago, so it's working!

i know I look back now and scoff at me struggling to run for 60 seconds in W1

I'm doing classes on the days in between runs so i'm not always 'fresh' for a run which may be part of the problem.

DearPrudence Thu 19-Sep-13 22:44:54

Classes? Ah, you'll be fine!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 20-Sep-13 21:19:28

Week 4 run 2 done grin

Not too bad. I'm not doing any other exercise alongside this - hats off to those of you who are!

I need to figure out a way to get out on Sunday now. Who knows when I'll squeeze it in but I must!

DearPrudence Sat 21-Sep-13 20:35:17

Good work wish! I'm only doing this too.

Week 2 run 2 completed yesterday. Will get out to do run 3 tomorrow.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 22-Sep-13 11:26:10

Well DH took ds's to rugby so I've been out!

Week 4 run 3 done! Why does the first one of each week fell most comfortable for me? Do I get lulled into a false sense of security?!

Week 5 looks scary but that's what's next!

How many of us are still on the programme?

DearPrudence Sun 22-Sep-13 16:53:13

Not too many of us left - but as long as this thread is here, I'm going to carry on posting on it!

I did Week 4 run 3 today, and I also found it really hard. I seemed to have plenty of puff but my legs felt really heavy. Week 5 doesn't look too bad for the first 2 runs - but my programme has a 20 minute run at the end! confused

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 22-Sep-13 20:32:53

Yes, this time next week we'll have run for 20 minutes non stop shock That's going to have to be next Saturday or Sunday for me.

It was humid here today and I found that tough. Hope next weekend is cooler, maybe even a bit drizzly (can't believe I'm typing that)!

I'm stil here!
week 3 r2 done today

still can't imagine running for 20 minutes, still finding 3 minutes tough going.

DearPrudence Mon 23-Sep-13 21:10:17

Well done Sausage!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 24-Sep-13 21:45:11

W5r1 done!

Achey hips and sore boobs (started my period today), but I survived!

I'm having to plan my running days 2 weeks in advance because DH will be away with work for a couple of days next week. I've managed to negotiate him coming home from work a bit early the first day that he's back in the office so I don't let my running slip!!!

W3 Run 3 today - going to do it again though as not ready to move on to week 4 yet

DearPrudence Thu 26-Sep-13 13:20:47

Week 5 run 1 done today. I'd had a 3 day break and I found it much easier than the last run of week 4.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Thu 26-Sep-13 21:56:46

W5 r2 done!

I think some of the music is being recycled now!

I've been back home for about 1 1/2 hours and my legs and hips are very achey!

The big one (20 minutes) is scheduled for Saturday morning and I'm rather nervous about it!

DearPrudence Fri 27-Sep-13 22:35:12

Good luck for tomorrow morning Wish.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sat 28-Sep-13 12:23:37

I did it grin shock

Every ache and niggle I've had during the last 5 weeks decided to bother me at some point today, and as I started running I realised that I had put my t-shirt on back to front so that irritated me all the way! My breathing was fine, but blimey did my legs ache!!

Off out next on Monday. I've not looked what's in store next week!

DearPrudence Sat 28-Sep-13 20:14:58

Well done Wish! I went out this morning too. I was due to do Week 5 Run 2, but decided to do run 3 (20 minutes) first. It was really hard, but I was determined to keep going. The weakness in my right ankle was a problem, and just about every other part of my legs hurt at some point, but I did it! I will do run 2 next - it just worked out better to do the longer run today. I'd had a rest day, it was morning, etc, etc.

grin about the back-to-front t-shirt. I've had to readjust my knickers several times, but stripping off your top would be a bit much.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 29-Sep-13 12:31:24

It's a lovely day here and I'm almost wishing I could go out for a run!!

Today is a rest day though and it would mess up my carefully timetabled plan for the next week if I go today (DH is away with work for a few days so my runs need to be squeezed in between everything else)

Never thought I'd be this keen!!

DearPrudence Sun 29-Sep-13 20:39:33

I know what you mean about the weather, although I definitely needed my rest day after yesterday's 20 minutes.
I might be able to get out tomorrow evening, if I can get out of work in time. Otherwise it will be Tuesday.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 30-Sep-13 11:59:23

Week 6 run 1 done grin

T-shirt on the right way round, and I even managed to put my fancy new running socks on the right feet (I have absolutely no idea what the difference between the right and left ones are, but felt I should try to get them in the right feet for their first outing at least!).

My legs ache very quickly into the runs, even though my breathing is ok. My muscles really need to strengthen up if I'm going to succeed at this.

DearPrudence Mon 30-Sep-13 17:49:02

I find legs are the problem too Wish. I'm very overweight though, so it's to be expected I guess. Good work on being properly dressed though wink

I'm dashing home now in the hope of getting out before I have to collect DS from his drama club, but I've also had a really stiff neck all day and I've a horrible feeling I'm Coming Down With Something. Best get out there before it takes hold.

Do you think it's just us left now? sad

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 30-Sep-13 22:27:18

Hope it's nothing and you stay germ free.

Looks like it could just be the 2 of us now sad

Stick at it though, we're doing great!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now