Anyone fancy starting couch to 5k on 26/8?

(232 Posts)
SevenReasonsToSmile Sun 25-Aug-13 13:27:33

I've done virtually no exercise since I left school, I'm now 27 blush. I weigh over 14 stone and I'm horribly unfit. I have family history of heart disease and high blood pressure, and I've finally realised I drastically need to do something to improve my health and fitness. DH is running his second London marathon next year, and tbh I find it embarrassing that A) I weigh more than him and B) he can run 26 miles, I'd struggle to run 26metres without being breathless.

I'm running in the evenings after DCs have gone to bed, I'll do Monday, Weds/Thurs then again on Saturday. Anyone fancy joining me?

DramaAlpaca Mon 26-Aug-13 13:40:28

Good luck everyone! I'm going to pop back every now & again to cheer you all on smile.

trafficwarden Mon 26-Aug-13 13:49:55

Great timing! I did my first run today on the NHS C25K programme. I surprised myself by actually enjoying it and then going on to do a 5k cycle in 15 minutes. I don't need to lose weight but at 44 my thighs and bum are sliding towards my ankles and I just want to feel a bit fitter and more toned. So I'll make the effort to check in for support and cheer everyone else on too.

trafficwarden Mon 26-Aug-13 13:52:13

Should probably have said I was using a treadmill as it's 43 degrees outside and I didn't want sunstroke. Obviously I'm not in the UK!

gintastic Mon 26-Aug-13 14:00:12

I'll join you. I used to run a lot, not since the DC's were born. Been meaning to for a while and not got round to it, I bought some new primark running stuff yesterday so lets get on it!

SevenReasonsToSmile Mon 26-Aug-13 14:43:05

Thanks drama.

Hi to the most recent newcomers, we're getting quite a group of us now. It's so humid here today, I absolutely hate sweating, I was bullied at school for being the unfit fat kid, I've never exercised because I don't want anyone to see me blush. I know I'm being daft and I need to just get over it.

trafficwarden Mon 26-Aug-13 16:45:34

I know someone who lost over 7 stones doing the Dukan diet and C25K. She now maintains her weight with something called Paleo diet, basically low carb healthy eating. She has a blog so I'll ask her if I can link if anyone needs inspiration. She says if she can do it anyone can!

DearPrudence Mon 26-Aug-13 16:50:22

Sorry not to update earlier - day one done!
I managed 3 of the runs, and some of the walk was uphill, so pretty hard work anyway.

Does 11 years count as post-pregnancy, jammie? grin

gintastic Mon 26-Aug-13 17:00:42

Good for you! I will have to wait until kids are in bed before I go. Well, I suppose DH could look after them, but I would prefer to wait. Also should be cooler later... I'm lucky to live in an almost completely flat area, so don't really have hills to worry about... On the other hand we have no views!

gintastic Mon 26-Aug-13 17:04:08

Oh, and I'm post pregnancy - DD is 9 months old.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 26-Aug-13 18:00:30

Well dne Jammie.

Not sure it's going to happen here today!

We've been out far longer than we intended today and I've not managed to get it downloaded onto my iPod yet. DH is off out at 7pm so it seems unlikely.

Anyone mind if I start a day late?

DramaAlpaca Mon 26-Aug-13 18:05:06

I was 16 years post pregnancy when I started grin!

Well done to all of you who've got off the couch & got going.

gintastic Mon 26-Aug-13 19:07:04

Done it smile wk1 run1.

Am a soggy sweaty mess. But I ran all the running bits :-)

Never give up, never surrender...

DearPrudence Mon 26-Aug-13 19:24:35

Well done gin! <shakes pom-poms>

SevenReasonsToSmile Mon 26-Aug-13 21:10:09

<falls onto thread wheezing>

I made it! I missed out one and a half of the running parts, I don't think that's too bad though for my first ever run and I'll try harder next time. I'm bright red and very hot and I've discovered I must have thigh muscles buried somewhere because they hurt. I didn't love it but it wasn't awful.

HearMyRoar Mon 26-Aug-13 21:30:32

Well, what a blooming coincidence! Just did my first run and then popped on MN to find this thread grin

Dp has been doing it a few weeks now and I have definitely noticed his belly looking trimmer already. This was the incentive I needed to get on with it so decided to start today. My dd is 17 months and I still have a massive belly so would love to lose some of it. I figured I can only blame post babyness for so long really.

It was actually not as bad as I thought. I've taken up yoga recently and I think that really helped with the breathing and staying focused. Also we have a lovely little nature reserve near by so I ran round that looking at all the birds and things, which was rather nice smile

HaveTeaWillSurvive Mon 26-Aug-13 21:35:45

Hi all can I join in please - I followed iwish from the other thread in chat smile

I'm literally just back from week one day one, feel great and managed faaarrr better than I was expecting. I missed the first jog (technical difficulties) but jogged for almost the entire time of the rest - hoorah

Not bad for a 34 year old who's barely exercised since school and now tips scales at 16 1/2 st blush a year of mat leave cakes have really not helped

I'm planning mon, wed and Fri but better see how the legs are tomorrow!

Well done everyone!

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 26-Aug-13 22:14:23

I'm a step closer - podcasts are now on my iPod!

What did you all do with your iPods? Just hold onto them or do you have fancy holders?

CuriouslyNosy Mon 26-Aug-13 22:21:30

Oooh well done everyone who made a start smile I had a head start by doing w1r1 yesterday, I have certainly felt it today, which I am actually pleased about, because I can see its working.

W1r2 tomorrow, strangely looking forward to
It!

On a serious note, I need a much better sports bra...blush

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 26-Aug-13 22:23:53

Saying that I now very confused!

I have one podcast for week one, one for week 2, one for week 3. Am I just supposed to do these 3 times each or have I gone wrong somewhere? I am a complete technophobe!

DramaAlpaca Mon 26-Aug-13 22:42:35

Yes, three times each.

The only weeks that have different podcasts for each run are Weeks 5 & 6.

SevenReasonsToSmile Mon 26-Aug-13 23:05:09

I have a sports bra arriving tomorrow. And a blister, I've ordered better running shoes as mine are only cheap pair of trainers. They should be here before my next run on Weds.

Whoever said they'd start tomorrow that's fine. It doesn't really matter if any of us are a couple of runs ahead or behind, if you could do tomorrow, Thurs and Sat you'd have caught up anyway.

Rugbylovingmum Mon 26-Aug-13 23:14:01

Hi,

well done to everyone who has managed the first run. I forgot that my partner is on call this week and he got called out just after 7 so I had to stay in with DC and missed my run. I'll try to do it tomorrow instead.

SevenReasonsToSmile Tue 27-Aug-13 09:52:34

How is everyone feeling today? My legs aren't aching as badly as I was expecting. I'm actually really looking forward to going again tomorrow to see if I can do all of the running parts.

Good luck to those starting today.

dadditlass Tue 27-Aug-13 12:02:51

Had to do my first run today ( I also forgot dh was on call last night) . I did a half trot half run kind of thing but I did ok.

13 degrees windy and raining here. Not envy at all traffic

FunnyRunner Tue 27-Aug-13 12:34:03

Hello! I just found this thread - and did my first run an hour ago by happy coincidence grin I will usually do a Monday run but am a bit late to the party this week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now