Couch to 5k- We do run run run, we do run run!

(973 Posts)

A thread for anyone thinking of starting, doing or completed the c25k plan!

The last thread had so many new people starting and working through the plan it was lovely. As well as those who had finished and working towards faster times or greater distances. Everyone welcome no matter age, fitness or ability.

Join us for lots of support, advice and gentle butt kicking of required wink

Old Thread

DramaAlpaca Mon 16-Sep-13 21:56:52

Well done sallysparrow!

Welcome Minifingers, glad you've come over to this thread. You'll get great support on here. Like everyone says, trust the program - it works!

Like nextphase says we should have a thread title that suggests defeating our inner chimps & embracing our snails - or something like that but much snappier of course!

watchingout Tue 17-Sep-13 06:40:02

The chimp has been shushed and firmly told to go back to bed. I'm off...grin

watchingout Tue 17-Sep-13 13:34:41

SO glad I went this morning - it was beautiful out and now its pissing down!

I wasn't sure how long I'd do (after a 2.5 week break) so picked up one of the W6 podcasts, just to keep me going and really enjoyed it grin

Had a lovely run with the doggies and owners last night, peanut made it all the way round without having to be dragged!

It was the same here watchingout! Had fab weather walking the dogs this morning and now it's raining sad

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Tue 17-Sep-13 21:46:14

How about just "couch to 5K - the chimp and the snail" for a thread title (you know, like the hare and the tortoise... sort of grin)

OK, that may not make a lot of sense... I'm afraid I came home, looked at my running kit and the rain, and at the wine - and the wine won as DH and I had both had bad days... tomorrow I will be out again though (anyone seen the forecast??)

MaireadnotMermaid Tue 17-Sep-13 23:32:59

Did the 5k on treadmill - don't consider myself graduated until I run 5k on the road

MsVestibule Wed 18-Sep-13 09:59:21

Mairead why don't you consider you've graduated? 5k is 5k, wherever you do it!

BIWI I should have listened to you. Went for a run yesterday (W3D1) 3 days after I'd pulled a calf muscle. I thought I was fully recovered, but at EXACTLY the same spot, 16 mins in, it went again. It's not too painful today, but going to leave it until Sunday before I try again. Or could even that be too soon?

Iwearblack how are you getting on? You'll be way ahead of me by now sad.

DramaAlpaca Wed 18-Sep-13 10:23:27

Mairead well done on your 5K. You've definitely graduated!

MsV hope your calf muscle feels better soon. How frustrating for you.

MaireadnotMermaid Wed 18-Sep-13 10:56:30

smile I have a weird mental block that the treadmill is too easy because it's flat! I'm going to do it outside tonight and celebrate with a glass of wine!

W4R1 this morning. So that is me back up to where I got before we went on holiday at the beginning of July. It was fine but I keep forgetting to stretch! Need to remind myself somehow.

Legs have felt like lead last couple of days going up stairs and hip and upper thigh a bit sore. I will keep going and see if it gets better. I'm off to Dublin tomorrow and will do W4R2 there on Friday. Then two days break and I'm running with a friend on Monday! I'd rather not really but don't think I can avoid it. She says she will do her thing and listen to her music and I can do mine. Not sure that there is much point in that but we will see!

MrsV - I think I would give it a week tbh. Frustrating though.

Mairead - well done!

MegTheCat Wed 18-Sep-13 13:36:27

I did my first parkrun on Saturday - so I have now graduated! (It would have been my W8R3 and as I've been doing the Zenlabs app W9 just says "you've graduated") My result wasn't as good as yours Scarecrow - I was 342nd out of 373 and my time was 37.48. I have definitely embraced my inner snail. I was pleased though not to be last, and I did run the whole way. My email from parkrun said I had a £15 Sweatshop voucher for new trainers but not sure how I get it. Don't think I can justify spending on new trainers at the moment anyway (even with money off) - the ones I've got seem fine.
Anyway thanks thanks all for all the encouragement. I am not sure I would have got over my nerves enough to do park run without it.

MegTheCat Wed 18-Sep-13 13:47:12

scarecrow this is the link to the parkrun voucher http://www.sweatshop.co.uk/parkrun-voucher.html
It says "we are delighted to offer all first time runners of parkrun this £15.00 running shoe voucher" - so you are entitled.

EeTraceyluv Wed 18-Sep-13 14:36:34

I have printed out my parkrun barcodes and registered. Think I'm a bit scared though!

MegTheCat Wed 18-Sep-13 16:37:55

EeTracey I was scared about doing parkrun - could hardly sleep the night before and was really wishing I hadn't told people at work I was going to do it. But it was fine - people were lovely. Those who finished a bit quicker were cheering us slowcoaches on at the end, which was nice. There were plenty of people walking for bits of it (esp the hills) as well.

MaireadnotMermaid Wed 18-Sep-13 20:05:43

Right. Did it outside. Last night not a fluke. Ran 6k tonight gringrinlast few minutes could have been overtaken by toddlers I was going so slow!!

MsVestibule Wed 18-Sep-13 20:44:41

Yey, well done mairead!!! Do you prefer to run outside or on the treadmill? I don't have a treadmill but would imagine it's a bit dull? Useful if you can't run outside, though.

watchingout Wed 18-Sep-13 22:13:01

Congratulations Mairead! That's a significant graduation - 6k. Impressed! thanks

Ms V - I tried a TM again today. Only second time, but I can't get on with it. Can't find my comfortable pace, distracted by all the gadgets, scared of falling off... Going to get a high vis running top and keep on with outside wink

MaireadnotMermaid Wed 18-Sep-13 23:12:38

Thanks ladies!

I find outside running more interesting but more challenging as I live in a hilly area. We have a treadmill in the house so it is really useful for those evening where I have left it too late to go out. It's dull dull dull though.

I can't BELIEVE I ran 6k. I could not run 30s when I started C25K.

BIWI Thu 19-Sep-13 13:54:18

Well impressed!

muddyprints Thu 19-Sep-13 14:41:04

where is the best place for cheapish winter running clothes? any recommendations please?
too cold in shorts and top now but hoody not waterproof and making me sweat.
sportsdirect any good or will they fall apart?

EeTraceyluv Thu 19-Sep-13 15:30:18

That's what I need to know too! I want one of those trendy running jacket thingys - but they are so expensive sad

nextphase Thu 19-Sep-13 17:51:29

I've just picked up a long sleeved karrimor top from sports direct for £6. All my running clothes came from there, and has been OK to date.
Someone up thread was saying Sainsburys had a decent top.

Watching you going out tomorrow morning?

New thread for those wanting to hop over!

Well done MaireadnotMermaid! It doesn't matter where you run you've still graduated but well done on your 6k too smile

Yay for parkrun, have fun EeTraceyluv!

I got all my running stuff in sports direct but I know some people who wait for running stuff to come into Aldi.

I didn't train on Wednesday as I was feeling pants with my cold sad blimmin children!! No parkrun for me as I'm RD and dh is going to work straight after. On way to pick up new dog now not going to attempt to run tomorrow on first walk with her! Maybe only Monday and Sunday for me this week sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now