Counting down to first half marathon, eeeeekkk.....

(5 Posts)
detoxdiva Sat 09-Mar-13 16:19:24

Hi...regular lurker to the running boards which have been of massive inspiration to me over my running 'journey'!

Ds is 2 and I started running to lose the baby weight and get fit, and love it. Have done various 5 & 10k's now but am counting down now to my first half marathon in a week's time - any words of wisdom for me to calm the nerves and feelings of doubt? smile

Nicnocknoo Sat 09-Mar-13 18:26:14

I did my first half last weekend - didn't sleep for two nights beforehand, I was so nervous! But ... I did it. I just visualised the medal at the end and kept going. It was a great day, the crowds were really encouraging and I've even signed up for next year (although as 8 yr old ds told me today - "we need to work on getting your speed up for next time"!).

My only advice is train down before the event - I did my last run (just 6k) three days before and then rested - and most importantly enjoy yourself on the day. I only started running last May and was not at all sporty before that but running has done me so much good. Good luck - have a great half!

terracottatoad Mon 11-Mar-13 11:07:10

Good luck! I'm aiming to do a half in the autumn, if I really work at it... so no advice from me, just admiration!

detoxdiva Mon 11-Mar-13 20:14:43

Thanks both!

Ran 10k at race pace today which felt good and going to do a couple of miles on Wed and that'll be it until the weekend. Feeling nervous but excited too.

Good luck! I'm doing my first half in early April and have been finding it hard to increase my distance, but I've just this minute finished my first 2 hour run, so am quite pleased with myself (if a little sore!). Hope yours goes well, and that you enjoy it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now