Couch to 5K- the first day of the rest of your life :)

(1000 Posts)

Come and join us if you're thinking about starting, have started or have finished and are loving running! Lots of support, advice and general cheering on for everyone. Find the old thread here.

5madthings Thu 02-May-13 18:05:55

Is there any logic or reason for a bad run? I just got back from a 6km run, was planning on doing 8km but just felt crap. I have a niggly sore throat and have been feeling tired but running didnt feel physically like it was too much but i just didnt get into a good rythm and ended up with a stitcj, feeling a bit disappointed tbh but will maybe go for a short run tomorrow and then do a longet run on sunday.

Every now and then i have a crappy run and cant see any reason for it, odd.

SarahWithAFringeOnTop Thu 02-May-13 20:47:41

I don't think so 5madthings, that happens to me too. I guess sometimes you're just a bit below par but nothing you can really put your finger on, or sometimes you're a bit preoccupied and can't really get into it, or whatever... just don't worry about it though, the next one will be better smile But if you've got a proper cold or a temperature, probably best to take a couple of rest days until you're over it.

That really annoys me too Oopla

I'd go travellingwillbury but don't be disappointed if you don't manage it all, but if you feel awful then just rest up. Would definitely go with paracetamol and a drink of hot water, lemon, honey and spirit of choice! Dh was being an arse but I was a bit hormonal and irrational and ds2 kept getting up which made it all worse. Took him a while to say sorry but hopefully all good now!

Well done for going out chopstheduck! I was filthy tonight as our soul is very sandy and its very dry now.

Sometimes its mental, sometimes its what you've eaten and drunk or you're tired and sometimes its just because 5madthings.

I had a nice run with my friend today, both of us had lots to moan about! I found it really hard going but I haven't drunk enough today and I'm sure that was it. Have drunk three 500 ml bottles of water and a cup of tea since and still haven't been for a wee, probably tmi!! Did 47 mins which is the longest since I injured myself so that was good. A bit stiff tonight but not bad at all!

travellingwilbury Fri 03-May-13 07:19:08

Good morning all , I have finally lost my first stone smile I am very happy . Two more to go but its a start .

My cold is still grim but I don't feel like I have a temp so I will go to the gym today and see how I get on .

Good luck to everyone else today .

BIWI Fri 03-May-13 09:07:23

Yay! (To first stone, not to cold grin)

travellingwilbury Fri 03-May-13 11:46:47

Thanks biwi , I am really chuffed .

I did w2r4 today and I did manage it but it was more of a struggle and slower and very sweaty ( tmi) but I did it !

Day off again tomorrow I think , the last thing I want to do is make myself worse . I can't believe how much I am enjoying it , fingers crossed that feeling lasts .

BIWI Fri 03-May-13 12:44:06

I'm really pleased to say that I haven't had any shin pain since my 30 minute run on Wednesday. It was definitely all about the stretching.

I'm going to try and do my next one tomorrow - although the park where I usually run has a Country Fayre (hate that spelling!) this weekend, so I will have to find somewhere else to run.

UmBongo Fri 03-May-13 13:02:07

Yay to first stone travellingwilbury you sound like me, I've lost one and need to shift two of it's friends too.

W5R2 tonight. Lunch next. (something lettucy balanced on ryvita with a bit of sweet chilli dipping sauce to perk it all up probably.)

That's great news BIWI, I'm not a fan of finding new routes but I also get fed up. Endomondo is good for routes other people have entered and saved so you may be able to find something useful there?

Well done travellingwilbury and Umbongo, it's nice to get to a milestone smile

cheerup Fri 03-May-13 14:21:39

I've done it... finished run 3 of week 9 of C25K today! Celebrated with a Powerhoop & Abs class and then a trip to the shops to buy a new outfit. Off to the Netherlands tomorrow so will be running on the other side of the road for a few days.

Whoop whoop. V proud of myself. I am a runner!

Thanks to those who have encouraged me and shared their experience and wisdom - this thread has been a real inspiration.

Yay! Well done cheerup smile Have a lovely trip!

BIWI Fri 03-May-13 15:11:10

Yay! Brilliant! Enjoy the Netherlands.

Went out today for W5D3 - eek - 20 minutes of continuous running!! Or in my case, plodding! It was hard going but I made it and ever since I got back I've been thinking about my next run... I can see how this gets addictive!

BIWI Fri 03-May-13 21:47:37

See! It's definitely about the mind. Well done. Now you've done 20 minutes, 30 isn't that far away grin

UmBongo Fri 03-May-13 22:07:49

Well done cheerup and enjoy the Netherlands. Good luck running up a hill when you get back, you may be out of practise!

Your comment about changing sides of the road made me think, which side of the road do you all run on? I have been running on the right, facing on-coming traffic as this is correct for the amount of walking I have generally been doing. Should I run on the left now I am actually doing more actual running?

I have done w5r2 tonight, but managed 9 and 14 minutes instead of 2x8. Am just off to find out how far I got in my 14 minutes!

I think if you're a pedestrian you should always face the traffic whether its running or walking UmBongo. I only run where there are paths so in lucky!

Well done fromheretomaternity!!!

pennygallops Sat 04-May-13 12:29:47

Yeah, lots of great news since I last posted (just had a busy week).
We had a family trip to the parkrun this morning. DD (8) and DH, first timers, managed a respectable 34.16 and 34.17 - absolutely no training envy. I got a new PB 27.08 (I have a sub 27 in my sights) and my DS (10) smashed his PB (set last week) with 24.47! But it was just lovely to all be out running. grin

That's great pennygallops! I did mine in 30.04 so very slow for me but the second lap my leg was hurting and I felt I really slowed! Was very hard going considering we did nearly 8k Thursday, but dh reckons its because I hadn't had all day to warm up and only walked there before starting. I'm learning to be Marshall co-ordinator next week, a bit scary!

pennygallops Sat 04-May-13 16:56:04

Thanks cinnamon. Your leg has been nasty little injury.

jchocchip Sun 05-May-13 09:06:03

Lovely to do parkrun as a family smile

jchocchip Sun 05-May-13 09:11:20

Posted too soon. I was 454 out of 467 yesterday, lapped a first timer walking the course and got a new pb 48.20. Going to try and knock 10 seconds off every week...
We had a disaster with dropped tokens so results from specially big parkrun weren't up until late smile

wizzler Sun 05-May-13 11:17:55

OK I have to do something.... It is a gorgeous day here and I am in navy blue trousers as they are the only thing that fits.. I need to lose 1.5 stone.... My DC are small and we are busy with work, and ferrying them to clubs and lessons, but I thought Couch to 5k might be something achievable with my lifestyle. Am going to start healthy eating too.

And now I have written it down here, I have to do it... right ?

pennygallops Sun 05-May-13 12:44:30

Wow jchocchip that's a popular parkrun, the one I go to is about 120. And well done on your PB. I like your target of knocking a few seconds off each week.
Hello wizzler C25K is how the majority of us on here started (or are completing). It works, really works. I love running, for so many different reasons, but convenience is high on the list. I can open my front door, run for 30 mins and be back home having burnt off 300 calories.

Hi wizzler, doing the c25k can definitely fit around a busy lifestyle. I have 6 and 2 yo ds's and work 50hrs a week. I generally run once a week after boys in bed, once a week around 6 and dh does tea and once earlish on a weekend morning. I've gone from doing the odd aerobics class to running 15-18 miles a week and I love it!!! Have lost 5 1/2st but that was a lot more to do with diet (reduced calories, keeping track on mfp) but running has to help smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.