Want to run but am TRULY CRAP at it... Is there any hope?

(609 Posts)
mirai Sun 04-Nov-12 04:24:05

Running is great. It's free, it's supposedly easy (put on your trainers and go), and hopefully it will shrink my huge bum (seriously my bum is very very big and round) blush

BUT. I'm rubbish at it. Terrible. My ears get cold, I feel everything jiggle, it hurts and I just want to give up.

Is there any hope for me? Can people like me turn into good runners? I'm actually getting ear pain just thinking about it. Or, is there no hope?

I really need to do some exercise. Tried swimming but the pool is too far - it took 3 hours out of my evening which wasn't sustainable. Tried doing an exercise video - but I'm exhausted after work and find it impossible to drag myself out of bed in the morning as it's SO cold and I'm always SO tired. Something needs to be done. Help!

Love the photo LavenderBriggs!!

LavenderBriggs Fri 23-Nov-12 13:21:09

grin

I was just looking at Zombies, Run. It's an app that tells a story and makes you run away from zombies. I'm going to have to download it at some point, but I'm doing that thing were I pretend I'm not going to spend any money.

I would like a story telling running app, but one written by Jilly Cooper - can you imagine? "Lavender dashed across the fields, etc..."

How is everyone?

LemonBreeland Sat 24-Nov-12 16:47:49

That zombies thing sounds a bit freaky for me Lavender, but it is a fun idea.

I did w2r3 last night with my Mum and DS1. It was quite enjoyable again.

Bring on week 3. grin

MarianForrester Sat 24-Nov-12 17:37:42

Zombies, running? Sounds right up DS's street too- maybe he'll think I'm cool if I'm running from zombiesgrin He's singularly unimpressed by my running in garage (he's four)

Forced myself out there today, thanks solely to this thread! Feel I can't disappoint. It was freeeeezing, but did 21 minutes running at a very slightly faster pace; 2.43k. Pitiful, I know, but Will Get Better. I shall look back and laugh at this when am Lycra bound.

Northey Sat 24-Nov-12 18:11:50

Can I ask a question about changing body shape? Specifically how long it took for you to notice a difference/drop a dress size/raise your buttocks by 3 inches or whatever?

I have been planning to start running again (for tr first time in about 10 years) for a couple of months, but things like colds have always got in the way. No more excuse though. I want to do it as a permanent thing, but I have a wedding in a month and might be spurred on past the horrid early stages if I could visualise some sort of change I want to see in time for that...

surfandturf Sun 25-Nov-12 09:34:49

Hi all, sorry I've been really rubbish this week. I did go for a 30 min power walk on Weds morning as promised. My cold has all but gone but I have a lingering tickly cough and once I start coughing I can't stop. I really want to get started again but I'm just worried I'm going to end up coughing my insides up mid run!!!! My DH reckons that I got the cold because I've started running - kind of my bodies way of detoxing and getting rid of all the crap. I wonder if that could be true as quite a few of us all seemed to get ill around the same time and we all started running around the same time?

Mirai - I'm going to start week 2 again from tomorrow. I too have noticed an increased appetite since I've started running. I come back from my run, have some porridge for breakfast and by mid morning I'm starving again! I've also been going to bed much earlier as I'm getting up so early.

I couldn't justify spending a lot on my shiny new running gear so I just got some Karrimor stuff from Sports direct. It's seems good enough quality and it feels good to be less slovenly!!!

I got these trainers www.sportsdirect.com/puma-ikonis-2-ladies-running-shoes-271250?colcode=27125011

these running leggings www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-x-lite-capri-running-pants-ladies-457140

this top www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-long-bra-running-top-ladies-455142

I also got a high vis jacket for the dark mornings www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-hi-viz-jacket-ladies-456056

Plus some socks, gloves and a headband to keep my ears warm!

What shiny new things did you get Mirai?

Well done Lavender - sounds like you have been doing well

surfandturf Sun 25-Nov-12 09:50:32

Northey I haven't been doing this long enough to confirm how quickly you'll start to see results - I'm sure someone will be along shortly who can tell you. All I would say is JUST DO IT!!! It can only help improve your figure and besides that it will improve your fitness! We're all on here to help spur you on. Welcome!!!

Uppermid Sun 25-Nov-12 10:19:39

This thread might inspire me. Might!

I did start running a few years ago and did 5k in39 mins, a huge achievement for me as I hated pe, did no exercise at all as soon as school started, can't stand walking anywhere as I find it slow and boring!

My problem is fitting it in. I'm too lazy to get out of bed in the morning and too tired once I get home and kids are in bed! I've started cycling to work to get some exercise which is a big thing for me, it means I can fit it in and I love it, the trouble is I'm not losing any weight and I know running would shift it for me.

surfandturf Sun 25-Nov-12 15:45:19

Hi uppermid. I'm get up at about 5.45am and go for my run between 6 and 6.30. It is really hard getting up that early especially when it's dark, cold and wet outside. It means I can be back in time to get myself showered and ready before the kids wake up. I just have to keep reminding myself that I only have to do this 3 days out of 7 - not every day!

Northey Sun 25-Nov-12 16:40:17

YES surfandturf! I definitely will join you. I will not be thwarted in my quest for slinky healthiness by dark nights and flooded roads and the frankly dubious need to keep my new trainers clean.

My bodyshape changed within a couple of months but I was on a low calorie diet too so not just running. It will make you feel better but it doesn't burn enough calories to make a huge difference especially as it does tend to make you more hungry!

I go to running club one day a week at 6.30 (dh does tea and I'm home for bedtime), another evening after bedtime so 8 ish and once at the weekend.

LavenderBriggs Mon 26-Nov-12 10:25:08

<pins medal on Surf for being magnificent>

Northey Run through a puddle on their first outing out. You know it makes sense. Clean trainers are a very bad sign. Also, if we said your body shape wouldn't change for 6 weeks would it stop you? Now, grubby up them trainers and get going!

Marian You would indeed be letting us all down <serious face> Very, very proud of you getting up to nearly 2.5k.

Upper Join us! There must be a way for you to fit some running in. You know you're good at it and you know it will make you fit. Could you get up 30 minutes earlier and do a 20 minute run?

I've got a bit of a pain thing going on (very normal for Ehlers Danlos), so I'm taking a couple of days off. I will be happy to guilt trip anyone who does not have an underlying health condition grin

surfandturf Mon 26-Nov-12 14:58:37

Thanks for my medal Lavender - it looks so pretty and shiny (a bit like Northey's trainers!) Hope you are feeling pain free really soon.

I have a confession to make - I didn't go out for a run this morning - It was too damn wet! So instead I loaded up the wii fit and did 10 minutes solid jogging on the spot and some tone up exercises for my waist and tum.

Wii fit confirmed that 1/2 a stone has crept on without me realising it but on the plus side it gave my wii fit age as 21 grin

Uppermid Mon 26-Nov-12 23:01:59

That's my big problem there Surf - I'm lazy! Get up out of my nice warm bed or stay there snuggled up.....

surfandturf Tue 27-Nov-12 20:20:36

grin Uppermid

How's everyone getting on this week? My calves are really achey after my wii session yesterday. I will do a run tomorrow if the weather's not too bad...

MarianForrester Tue 27-Nov-12 20:27:17

Runners, I need help! Have had bad week: ds off Playgroup yesterday and today with bug; couldn't run. And today DH been investigated all day for chest pain; thank fuck turns out to be muscular.

Anyway, result is that I need take dog out tomorrow morning: can I run?! Need encouragement as I hate mornings and the cold sad but will be only chance...

If Lavender you can do with pain; I can do this! Gentle jog round field with large dog.... I can, can't I??????

TooImmatureMincePies Tue 27-Nov-12 20:34:09

I need to do some exercise. The trouble is, I might get run over. It is DARK round here - live in rural Scotland, no street lights near me. I can't run in daylight at this time of year because I have to wait until DH comes home to mind the baby. What is there out there to deal with running on dark country roads with sharp bends/blind summits? Am a rank beginner, by the way - tried the C25k last year but got pg in about week 3, so gave up.

<goes off to Google jogging buggies, despite not being able to afford one>

LemonBreeland Tue 27-Nov-12 21:09:15

Go for it Marian, I'm sure your dog will pull you along

TooImmature. Is there somewhere nearby you could drive to that has streetlights so you can run there? There are only certain parts of my small village I can run so it is a bit tricky, and repetitive but I'm determined. <also coveting a jogging buggy>

TellMeLater Tue 27-Nov-12 21:12:55

Tooimmature - try the shred during the week and run at the weekends.

TooImmatureMincePies Tue 27-Nov-12 21:20:16

I suppose I could map a route through the village...I live near a village that is built around a deep valley. The streetlights start at the bottom of the valley and lead up the hill. I could drive down to the lights and run up the hill...it is a very very steep hill. <quails> There's only one street so I'd have to go up and down a few times looking like a twit

I think I'd rather try running with DD in her normal buggy during the day. It's a Quinny Speedi with pretty big tyres. I'll tie the dog onto the front to help! Right, I've got the C25k downloaded on an old iPod somewhere - will go look it out.

LemonBreeland Tue 27-Nov-12 21:42:58

I have tried running with my baby jogger city mini. It is harder work and I really needed good tarmac for that. Smmoth paths are important when using the pushchair.

I used to run with my dog but she got too tired and I ended up pulling her around so now I leave her home! If you've got a more normal dog I'm sure it'd be a great time to run. Warm up walk while the do what they have to do then off you go smile.

Hats off to those running with a pushchair, not something I'd attempt!! Like it to be me, my music and the road!

gotthearse Wed 28-Nov-12 01:27:02

I have been lurking and have got an app. Hurty back at the mo. Will give it a day or two to settle and then plan to start. One question - I have got massive sometimes hurty norks. We're talking G or H cup. Can anyone recommend a bra that can cope?

MarianForrester Wed 28-Nov-12 07:30:08

I've been spared through DH's hopefully not foolish bravery: he's insisted in taking her while I waited for it to get light- font like the field in dark. Will do my run later.

Good running to all; hope all ailments and injuries feeling better and new running gear inspiring smile

LavenderBriggs Wed 28-Nov-12 11:23:44

Hi Marian. Running is very good for helping to deal with stress. grin

Hearse Can't help with recommendations, but as a start you could try wearing two bras. Good luck with controlling the norks.

Well done everyone who has had a run, or an attempt at a run, or a really serious think about a run.

My weak point seems to be my hip flexors. Actually, everything around my hips; flexors, top of the hamstring, bursa over the hip joint. Must come up with a plan to sort them out. I did 4.5k this morning and pain levels are at 'bearable, but I wouldn't fancy another 4.5 unless I really, really had to'.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now