Want to run but am TRULY CRAP at it... Is there any hope?

(609 Posts)
mirai Sun 04-Nov-12 04:24:05

Running is great. It's free, it's supposedly easy (put on your trainers and go), and hopefully it will shrink my huge bum (seriously my bum is very very big and round) blush

BUT. I'm rubbish at it. Terrible. My ears get cold, I feel everything jiggle, it hurts and I just want to give up.

Is there any hope for me? Can people like me turn into good runners? I'm actually getting ear pain just thinking about it. Or, is there no hope?

I really need to do some exercise. Tried swimming but the pool is too far - it took 3 hours out of my evening which wasn't sustainable. Tried doing an exercise video - but I'm exhausted after work and find it impossible to drag myself out of bed in the morning as it's SO cold and I'm always SO tired. Something needs to be done. Help!

surfandturf Thu 28-Feb-13 07:48:34

Yey go Lavender!!!! Let us know how you get on?!

LavenderBriggs Thu 28-Feb-13 08:38:56

Done! It was a bit of a struggle and I'm having a good old cough now, but I did it. DH said "if you can jog 4.8k in 35 minutes when you're at your worst, you're not doing too bad". (Have decided on using 'jog' instead of 'run' - less pressure on me.

Shoulder is feeling - different. The running movement irritated the muscles a bit, but all of the lovely extra blood flow seems to have calmed it down at the same time.

I did think of this thread when I was wavering at 6.30am - couldn't face coming back with stories of not getting out - thank you for support. Right! Anyone else been out?

Somethingtothinkabout Thu 28-Feb-13 12:14:35

Well done Lavender! And I echo your DH's sentiments, 4.8k in 35 minutes is pretty good going!

Enjoy the rest of your day with a nice achieved feeling smile

CalamityKate Thu 28-Feb-13 12:25:11

Right.

I did the C25K a couple of years ago and LOVED it. Sadly I had to stop due to my knees becoming very painful when I got to the stage of being able to run for 30 mins.

I'd got my gait analysed at a running shop and got decent trainers so I don't think it was that.

It took MONTHS for my knees to stop hurting. I was gutted because it was the fittest I've ever been and I really enjoyed it.

My knees are ok now and I've been wondering if its maybe worth giving it another go but taking longer to get to 30 mins running.

The only thing is, over the last few months I've found myself getting really achey and painy. I'm feeling very old sad

Has anyone taken up running when they're feeling decrepit??

I don't mind a bit of "Ooh I've worked those muscles" nice aching but I don't want to end up not being able to get out of bed!

LavenderBriggs Thu 28-Feb-13 12:52:09

Thanks Something It was proper hard work, but I'm so glad I did it. I find the smug feeling from a hard run can last at least one day, sometimes two.

CalamityKate Anyone who starts a post with "Right" clearly means business and deserves all support possible grin Do you have any other muscular things going on or have your knees been the only problem? When I get a pain I go to a company called Physiobench. They do an online assessment and for £28 will give you loads of strengthening exercises to do and they follow up and allow you to ask loads of questions. I find it more helpful than hands-on physio as it takes ages to fill the forms out, which I think allows me to think about what's happening in more detail than if I'm face to face with someone. Also, there's no physical manipulation (very important for me). It might just be a small imbalance in your hip which can be really easily solved.

LavenderBriggs Thu 28-Feb-13 12:58:13

And the decrepit part? Yes, that would be me. I started running at 43 years old and I have an underlying health condition. I'm very aware of pain and what I can do to make life easier and just by keeping track of what's going on painwise over the last two years it's become very clear that when I don't run I have more pain. I might get muscle soreness when I exercise, but when I don't I get a lot of joint and ligament pain.

CalamityKate Thu 28-Feb-13 13:22:41

Thank you! X

Belugagrad Thu 28-Feb-13 15:29:44

Well done lavender! Gorgeous sunny day today, I got out at lunch time and it was lovely and not too muddy anymore smile

With joint pain, I find running on grass makes the world of difference.

surfandturf Thu 28-Feb-13 22:52:38

Hi CalamityKate! I hope you can get back into running without it having a bad effect on your knees. There's only one way to find out I guess!

Hi Lavender, well done on your run today. I hope you are still feeling smug? You should be. My turn tomorrow!

Hi Belugagrad, Glad you enjoyed your run too!

How you getting on something? Have you been managing to get off the loo ok since your second run? wink

surfandturf Fri 01-Mar-13 07:18:29

2.39 miles in 26 mins this morning. Not bad. I want to concentrate on getting my distance up a little and once I've got that nailed I'll try to up my pace a bit. Does that sound like a good plan? My ideal aim is to eventually be able to do 5k in 30 mins - is that realistic?????

Somethingtothinkabout Fri 01-Mar-13 17:46:31

Well, given that I was broken for 2 days after my first run, and still hurting when I did my second, I woke up the day after it and nothing hurt at all confused I even thought I might have dreamt it.

It's weird, it's almost like all those people that used to tell me "the best thing for lactic acid in your legs is to go for another run" were right!

Or maybe I'm just WAY fitter already, I'll go with that smile

Surf, that sounds like a good goal to aim for, 2.39 must be pretty much 4km already? I think you could achieve that within a few months. I'm hoping to be able to do about the same.

surfandturf Sat 02-Mar-13 13:59:46

Hi Something, I've found that before. Felt like I can't walk but then push through it and think I'm gonna pay for this later - but actually feel much less achey afterwards.

It's taking me about 11 mins to run a mile (average) so I'm thinking it should take me roughly 40-45 mins to run 5k. If I can get that nearer to 30 mins I would be really chuffed. (I do have very short legs though!!!!) grin

I try to run 3 times during the week so that I can relax and enjoy the weekend. So far spent the morning at swimming lessons and then straight to football training with DC's - no rest for the wicked!

Have a great weekend everyone

LavenderBriggs Sun 03-Mar-13 10:45:08

Morning all. I should be working on my module (effects of exercise on muscles) - I might be able to give you info on why running makes your sore legs better. If I ever stop procrastinating and get my work done.

Well done for all running. The weather is turning and there's a very small hint that winter isn't going to last forever grin DH and I just gently jogged 5.8k in 47 minutes (I'm saying jogging as it's less pressure than talking about running).

I sorted my shoulder! I asked DH to check my ribs as I just couldn't get my left shoulder to 'sit' properly. DH had a good press on my back to see if he could spot anything out of line, he got to the sore spot, pressed, there was a loud pop and the pain started to melt away. I must have subluxated one of my ribs and now it's back in place the pain has gone by about 90%.

Is anyone out this weekend?

Somethingtothinkabout Sun 03-Mar-13 13:09:08

Oh my God Lavender! Had it popped out of place or something? Good work Mr Lavender! Gosh I'd never have the guts to do that, I'd be too worried about it falling out altogether grin

I went on a short run yesterday morning with DP, it was meant to be the usual route round the park and then I said "and then on the second lap we can cut into the park so it's only a half lap", and off we set. Apparently I wasn't clear and DP but in on the first lap and I followed wondering what on earth was going on, cue lots of snippy, out of breath "You said this", "No I didn't", "You definitely did" etc, such fun smile

Think I'll go again tomorrow night and try and do a bit further.

Would be very interested to hear about the logic behind the sore legs disappearing too.

Belugagrad Sun 03-Mar-13 14:56:51

Gorgeous day to be out today! I got out today for a little 30 min jog, don't usually run on weekends so very proud of
Myself!

LavenderBriggs Sun 03-Mar-13 15:11:54

That made me proper laugh out loud Something I could hear the panic. It's not that dramatic, just pain for days and days until I realise what's going on. The joint doesn't come out fully, it just moves out of place a bit and needs to be popped back in (am I helping here?). I'm actually pretty lucky, there are people with Ehlers Danlos who can't exercise at all and I'm able to go running, so it could be many, many times worse.

Also, well done for managing to run through an argument. DH and I have done it many times - good for breath control grin

Well done Belugagrad! You've every right to be very proud of yourself. You don't need to do too many 30 minute jogs before you start getting proper fit.

Right - DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness) info. Just one bout of soreness- producing exercise actually develops a partial protective effect that reduces the chance of developing soreness in that same activity for weeks or months into the future. This is the headline, but I'm trying to find the reasons behind it. It might be that it takes your mind of the pain by using the muscles and making you feel good for doing more training. Or, it might be that the tiny tears that cause the soreness are healed more quickly when they have an improved blood flow. To be honest, the stuff on the module about how muscles work at a cellular level is making me feel a bit sick (reminiscent of the sick feeling I used to get in maths classes when I didn't understand quadratic equations).

Somethingtothinkabout Sun 03-Mar-13 22:18:09

I'll like the improved blood flow theory! Not least because having little tears in muscles makes us sound hardcore!

I also like the idea that you go once and do 3km and can't walk after, then you go the second time and do 3km again but this time your body's like "hell, come on you pansy! Give me more, I can take it, GRRRR! <angry army sergeant face> " You need to go further to get the same level of pain again.

Gosh, I've come over all motivated after all that growling. If it weren't so late I'd go out for a little trot. Alas, I think I'll just go and have a wee sloe gin to take the edge off smile

QOD Sun 03-Mar-13 22:34:49

Oh allo ladies!!
I started running Jan 16th, joined a club. First session was 2.4 miles, walk 1 min run 1 min
We were exhausted but pleased with ourselves!

Last week, we were promoted to the actual club, and ran with them yesterday ..... We did 5.3 miles in 1 hr 3 mins

Amazing how you can quickly build up, I go 3 times at least a week and can run for an hour, up hill and down dale, doesn't matter how slow, keep moving

Not lost any weight BUT gone from size 14 skinny jeggings to a 12

Bums lifted, bellies sagging LOL there's much less fat on my trunk.

I'm with a club affiliated to Run England, check and see if there is a local one?

Belugagrad Mon 04-Mar-13 07:12:16

Qod well done on the new jeans! I've booked
My holidays for June so I'm focused on toning before I go swimsuit shopping.

LavenderBriggs Mon 04-Mar-13 09:52:26

Haha Something "yeah, I've got tears in my muscles, I am that hard". To be honest, your enthusiasm is making me want to get out and run.

Hello QOD Well done for running such a huge distance! That's the trick - just keep moving - fast, slow, it doesn't matter smile

Morning Beluga you have got so much time to get yourself fit and toned for holiday smile

And it looks as if winter might not last for ever! There's a definite hint of spring in the air - very good news I"m tired of wearing leggings and tights under trousers in an attempt to keep warm. I want to wear shorts. And I hate running with loads of layers on so it'll be back to just running top and leggings very soon.

Belugagrad Mon 04-Mar-13 11:28:04

Yeah need to get them shorts on to help the tan along!

QOD Mon 04-Mar-13 16:47:06

It's really strange that I go on hol 6th April, to the 13th and I'm a bit pissed off that I'm missing two club runs

Who am I am what happened to QOD ?!

Belugagrad Mon 04-Mar-13 19:21:23

We'll turn in to those people that run on holiday!!

LavenderBriggs Tue 05-Mar-13 09:34:02

<narrows eyes> what's wrong with those people? grin

5.05 done in 43 minutes - slowest time ever. There was lots of walking and stopping to stretch sore calf muscles. In my defence, I was sick on Friday night/Saturday morning, I ran on Sunday, dug out the stationary rower yesterday and I've only just got my ribs all in the right place <sits down for a while>

Oh the tan - in summer I now get 'comedy legs'. Feet are white, ankles to knees are nut brown, thighs are paler, but have many tide-marks due to different shorts or leggings. I look like a clown.

Belugagrad Tue 05-Mar-13 12:24:58

whats slow to you is amazingly fast to me Lavender! Well done!

This morning I went out for the first time in 2013 without gloves on! Beautiful morning. Went out last night and did a fast road run, but this mornings country run felt slow because of it, which was a bit disappointing. If a run doesn't go as planned I really beat myself up over it. Need to stop doing that as its good I went out at all and I need to just say 'well done beluga' for that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now