To say something or to stay schtum?

(8 Posts)
MythosLivetheDream Thu 22-Nov-12 15:19:57

Here is the dilemma...
I get my car serviced by my local mechanic who is really really lovely and helpful. At the end of August, he serviced and MOTed the car, which ended up costing a lot, as there was quite a bit to do on the car.
I paid him by cheque immediately, but it's now nearly the end of November and he still hasn't paid the cheque in.
My husband and I disagree. DH says I shouldn't say anything about the cheque, as I have done the right thing, paid him on time and it is his responsibility to pay it in. I say I should go and see him and tell him that he has not paid the cheque in and does he want me to write a new one if he's lost the other one.
What do other Mumsnetters think?

Personally, I'd go and speak to him, just because it's a nuisance having a chunk of money sitting around which is in your bank but allocated to him, so you can't spend it. Also, I think he only has 6 months to bank a cheque before it needs to be rewritten, so he needs to get a stride on anyway.

girlgonemild Thu 22-Nov-12 15:30:11

I think you should get in touch both from his point of view (he should get paid) and yours ( you don't want him to bank it the day before payday or something when funds might be low and you aren't expecting it).

OldLadyKnowsNothing Thu 22-Nov-12 15:31:20

Yup, I agree, you need to talk to him. I use a similar local mechanic and wouldn't want to cause bad feeling.

BuddyTheChristmasElf Thu 22-Nov-12 15:32:11

I would think that he is being a pain in the arse actually, its a pain to keep track of money that's yet to come out like that, its polite to lodge/cash cheques promptly and IMO inconsiderate to save them, they're not saving stamps!

quoteunquote Fri 23-Nov-12 16:56:38

Ring him and ask if he has lost it, it would be the right thing to do.

strumpetpumpkin Fri 23-Nov-12 16:57:48

i would call him

Hassled Fri 23-Nov-12 16:58:15

I'd talk to him about it, on the basis that a good mechanic who you like a trust is someone worth holding on to. Otherwise - next time the car breaks it will be horribly awkward.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now