messy employment/company law question...

(4 Posts)
winterland Tue 21-Jan-14 05:34:44

Just a quickie..

I am company secretary and own 30% shares. I am also an employee. Can I resign as an employee and continue to be company secretary?

my stbxh owns the 70%. The working relationship has become compleyely untenable. I have no control and the company isn't really worth much at all. Ive handed in my notice. I have 9 weeks notice to work but I'd rather walk away today. but if I do this ill get no wage. to add to the mix I'm pretty sure hes been taking cash in hand jobs to avoid money going into the business account, so I don't see it. I do not want to be involved in any way in this practice.
any words of wisdom??

CrystalSkull Tue 21-Jan-14 07:39:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CrystalSkull Tue 21-Jan-14 08:16:56

There's no reason in theory why not; the company secretary doesn't have to be an employee. Your share ownership is not relevant either.

I would question however whether a non-employee would have the necessary exposure to the business to be able to do the role. That depends very much on the size and nature of the company; the company secretary can range from a huge job to more of an honorary role!

On a more personal level, I would question whether you want to continue to be involved with this company in any capacity, and whether they would be happy for you to continue.

flowery Tue 21-Jan-14 08:58:21

Perfectly possible to be company secretary without being an employee, but why would you want to stay as company secretary in the circumstances you describe?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now