New contract, holiday entitlement?

(8 Posts)
WandOfElderNeverProsper Fri 18-Oct-13 23:48:06

Haha funkyboldribena that's exactly what I said! Just stroll in with a holiday request for 52 days off and see their faces lol!

WandOfElderNeverProsper Fri 18-Oct-13 23:45:47

There's a little table with a list of all the bank holidays, and just states something along the line of they can expect you to work them if its required to meet the needs of the business. I can dig it out but it's fairly straightforward it was just the change in terminology. I was like eh?? head scratch lol.

Good to know I'm not losing my marbles though lol

FunkyBoldRibena Fri 18-Oct-13 23:38:56

Ha ha, you could indeed argue that as 5.6 weeks is statutory holiday entitlement you get that plus 24 days. Would like to be a fly on the wall when they read that email out!

They can give you them in your holiday allowance though, just means you won't necessarily be able to use them on the bank holidays but on other days instead.
For full time week minimum is 28 days including bank hols, so they're giving you 32 but the bank holiday proportion of the allowance has to be booked like any other day.

That's what I'd presume anyway.

In the rest of the contract, what is being discussed when BH are referred to as customary?

WandOfElderNeverProsper Fri 18-Oct-13 23:27:25

That's what I thought but the rest of the contract refers to bank holidays as "customary" and refers to "statutory" as the others, plus (sorry not drip feeding) I've worked for this company in a different capacity for years and no one gets bank holidays off unless they use their normal annual leave. Not even the higher ups! Its retail so if they offered bank holidays as standard they'd have to shut on them lol.

Thanks again!

24 plus the 8 statutory bank holidays

Lillielangtry Fri 18-Oct-13 22:58:06

You get 24 days' holiday plus bank (statutory holidays).

WandOfElderNeverProsper Fri 18-Oct-13 22:53:36

Hi all, just a quick post about something I've been scratching my head about. I will of course get it clarified with the HR of the new company before I start work but I wondered if anyone here could help?

I've been offered a new job and in the offer letter it states under holidays "Your basic entitlement will be 24 days a year, pro-rata for part time colleagues. You are also entitled to the usual statutory holidays, again pro-rata for part-time" (I'm not part time but this seems a standard offer letter they sent out for this post just with a blank spot for your name lol).

Does this mean I get 24 days on top of the 5.6 weeks legal statutory or are they confusing statutory with customary holidays i.e bank holidays and Christmas day etc? 24 days on top of 5.6 weeks seems unusually generous so I wondered if anyone could help me figure it out?

Thanks all smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now