What should I do? Deciding between 2 jobs...

(13 Posts)
FadBook Mon 24-Jun-13 18:26:44

Aww well, least the decision is easier.

Good luck with your new job grin

sophiaverloren Mon 24-Jun-13 13:37:02

Late update: I didn't hear anything until Thursday morning in the end. Apparently they wanted to offer me the job on Wednesday but received a resignation which threw a spanner in the works and have withdrawn the position while they consider...so job 1 it is!

Thanks for "listening".

sophiaverloren Tue 18-Jun-13 13:10:35

I can say it went well from my point of view - didn't trip myself up, think I sounded coherent, etc etc. Should hear tomorrow apparently so will update! Thanks!

TiffanyAtBreakfast Tue 18-Jun-13 10:56:31

Let us know how the second interview goes! smile

FadBook Mon 17-Jun-13 10:18:41

Like Flowery says, don't get ahead of yourself. You may not need to make a choice wink

Good luck tomorrow

sophiaverloren Mon 17-Jun-13 10:10:07

Thanks for your reply FabBook: just verbal at this stage and I have now verbally accepted.
Job2 is a bigger company, would be managing a larger team and feels like a "bigger" job, and possibly a step up (difficult to judge between a job you know and one you don't, though). Pay and benefits would be better, but compromise on location/commute/longer working hours.
Job1 is where my heart is.

FadBook Mon 17-Jun-13 10:00:33

The job offer for job 1 - have you had a contract yet, or just a verbal offer?

If a verbal offer - accept it. Still go to the 2nd interview tomorrow and discuss with them your career aspirations and triple check if that job could offer you more of what you want.

You may not get the other job, so at least then you have already accepted the 1st one. But if the 2nd one comes through too, you either accept that and turn down the other one (not great to do this, but at least it is before starting the actual job) or you continue with the first one.

Why do you think the 2nd one is better in terms of career development?

sophiaverloren Mon 17-Jun-13 10:00:28

Point taken: I am in danger of overthinking this smile

flowery Mon 17-Jun-13 09:58:06

Exactly. Don't get ahead of yourself and create a problem where at the moment one doesn't really exist.

best of luck with the interview smile

sophiaverloren Mon 17-Jun-13 09:55:57

Thanks for your reply - I know you are right but I needed a bit of moral support! Will go tomorrow and see what happens - one step at a time...

flowery Mon 17-Jun-13 09:51:37

Well at the moment you don't have two offers to decide between, so unless you wouldn't mind losing both jobs, you need to accept job 1 today.

Then go to the interview for job 2, and if you get an offer for that one, make an informed decision, bearing in mind the possibility of irritating job 1 if you may want to work there in future.

sophiaverloren Mon 17-Jun-13 09:48:01

hopeful bump? I know it's not a great time!

sophiaverloren Mon 17-Jun-13 09:18:33

Please help me decide what to do for the best.
I have been offered a job. This is great -it is a job I want and one I think I will enjoy. So far so good.
I have been invited for a second interview for another job which my head tells me is a better choice in terms of career development. This is tomorrow and I really do have to answer on job 1 today. Do I accept and take the risk that I may withdraw? (although that is by no means certain - that’s dilemma 2)
So dilemma 2 is, if I am successful in job 2;do I want it? Anyone around to help me talk through this?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now