Made redundant on ML

(8 Posts)
MrsMicawber Wed 19-Dec-12 11:42:06

I have vague ideas of childcare, but I had hoped my baby would be older before I have to go back to work.

If a job pays enough but is inflexible childcarewise and it was financially worth it, dh would leave his job to SAH. Why don't I just SAH then? a) my skills are more marketable than his and b) I don't drive and it would easier for him to do school runs and rotas, shopping etc.

flowerytaleofNewYork Tue 18-Dec-12 11:49:18

What nannynick said. Do you have childcare in place/know what childcare you will use?

Obviously the more flexible you can be with the number of hours you work then the more jobs there are available to you, so decide what you are prepared to do as a maximum then start looking within those parameters.

Obviously if you decide you only want to work 25 hours a week spread over a specific number of days/specific times, your chances are much much less than if you were more flexible about when the hours were worked or how many hours you can do.

nannynick Tue 18-Dec-12 10:53:29

Have a look around at what jobs are being advertised.
Look for reliable childcare - how many children do you have/will have once baby is born?
Look at family finances, cut down on anything you can.

MrsMicawber Tue 18-Dec-12 10:28:23

It is quite a mess. I don't think it was entirely genuine and that is a separate issue. Right now (besides obviously dealing with employer) I need to focus on getting another job.

flowerytaleofNewYork Mon 17-Dec-12 21:44:31

The OP has not given any reason for anyone to suspect foul play.

OP are you satisfied that the redundancy was genuine and necessary?

As long as you were employed long enough and earned enough to meet the criteria for SMP your employer still has to pay it to you whether you are still employed or not, so make sure they do that.

xkcdfangirl Mon 17-Dec-12 20:47:42

If there is any chance that your employers have selected you for redundancy because you are on ML, then that is blatant sexual discrimination and you are owed 1x massive payout. See your Union rep if you have one or a solicitor.

Is this director of property investment firm really going to function without a PA in future? If not then your post is not really redundant, is it? I suspect foul play here.

JuliesSistersCousinsAuntsCat Mon 17-Dec-12 20:38:54

Sorry to hear that sad

Are you being made redundant as of when your ML finishes? If not, get yourself down the JC to see if you're entitled to Maternity Allowance.

Do you have a DP/H? Would it be possible to SAH until you finish your degree?

Tax Credits - they will help with childcare if you are on a low wage and see about entitlement to Working TC and Child TC.

The jobcentre will be able to tell you of anything else you may be able to do.

Good luck smile

MrsMicawber Mon 17-Dec-12 14:32:30

What it says on the tin, really.

Any advice on jobseeking with small children?

I've been PA to the director of property investment firm for the past five years and I'm halfway through a law degree.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now