Student Health Visitor Interview!!

(1000 Posts)
chewie29 Mon 16-Apr-12 14:56:16

Hi all.
I am currently a staff nurse on maternity leave and I have been very lucky, I have managed to get an interview for a Student Health Visitor Post tomorrow. Has anyone any advice they can give me for the actual interview? I am stressing as it is something I have wanted to do for a long time! I have send by little man over to his nans this afternoon so I can concentrate, I have just been getting more stressed as the day goes on. I have been preparing for the interview for some time but I'm worried my nerves will ruin it for me! Any advice or tips would be great. Thank you.

Moochi1986 Sat 16-Mar-13 19:35:51

The waiting must be awful! I found waiting to hear about the application process awful, I was checking my email constantly. I hope you all get through to the next stage, I'm really hoping its just a one day thing for me. Would love to know how many spaces the uni have and how many each trust have been allocated. X

Smartypants123 Sat 16-Mar-13 21:10:59

Has anyone who applied to Derby heard whether they have got an interview yet? I have applied both to them and Staffordshire. Am so desperate to get on the course. Feeling really anxious about it as I know it is so competitive.

Leah80 Sun 17-Mar-13 07:15:15

I applies to Derby but haven't heard anything yet, I'm guessing they had lots as they closed the post early x

Annemarie24 Sun 17-Mar-13 10:03:02

when I was on placement with the health visitors, the CPE told me they had 172 applications for 60 posts :-/. I agree the waiting is horrible x

Bella01372 Sun 17-Mar-13 14:16:05

Hi gardenerschoice, i have applied to central surrey. They haven't confirmed who is interviewing but on the assessment day they did say they were normally joint with first community??? They also told us they have had over 700 applications for around 75 jobs across surrey!!!!! Moochi if your assessment day is the same as surrey, we had a group assessment which was to discuss and put together a presentation on a statement. There was a choice of statements, current themes. We had reducing the price of alcohol. I found all the info on here very helpful. Good luck.

Gemini4sure Sun 17-Mar-13 16:57:58

Hi all. I'm new on this thread, busy preparing for my initial interview and can't find the link to read reports by Field, Allen, Tickle and Monroe, can anyone help please.

mumsykinns Mon 18-Mar-13 10:14:26

Hi Bella and Gardenerschoice, unfortunately I didn't get through the assessment, my brain and mouth just didn't engage due to nerves...will reapply next time. Good luck to you both though xx

Moochi1986 Mon 18-Mar-13 15:23:20

Hi Gemini When is your interview? I am also looking for the articles but not having much luck, I will keep you posted if I come across them. Sorry to hear that mumsykinns, did you get some feedback?
Thank you for the advice Bella about the assesment day, Im so nervous. Any other things that we should be looking into? xx

Gardenerschoice Mon 18-Mar-13 18:36:44

Hi bella and mumsykinns, gutted :-( I wasn't offered a post following my interview, i recieved an email today, good luck Bella with your interview, mumsykinns we will just have to reapply in January. Good luck to all applying

Moochi1986 Mon 18-Mar-13 18:42:49

Gardnerschoice sorry to hear this, don't give up thou! You sound really keen to get onto the course and you WILL. What was the formal interview like? We're the questions hard? Xx

nervouslywating Tue 19-Mar-13 12:49:26

Firstly it looks like i can't spell -that is meant to say waiting not wating! Just found this thread in the nick of time, my interview for Bolton uni health visiting is on Fri so i am really nervous at the moment and bogged down with revising all the policies. Struggling to break it all down into small enough chunks to remember and like many have posted on here, i am worried my nerves will get the better of me. As for what others have posted - lady celestial.....you have worried me now. I plan to dress smart, but money is tight! I have been out only yesterday and bought one of those blouses with cardigans attached - it is very smart (from next) and was planning on wearing it with grey pinstripe suit trousers. I don't have a suit jacket - and i cannot afford to buy one, but you have worried me now by saying no cardigans lol!!!! Babydreams asked about how to get your academic reference - i needed this too and my last place of study was about 6 yrs ago - i phoned the uni, gave my uni id number and they found me straight away. They gave me the course leaders contact number and i phoned her. Although it was someone different than when i had been there she said it was a common request and they would access archived information and email it to Bolton. Litttlelegs also mentioned what to put in her portfolio. I have spent weeks improving mine, make sure it is all very neat, new plastic pockets etc, clearly sectioned so things are easy to find. I have also included a section on my action plan to ensure i gain a place on this course, with a copy of my personal statement in for example.We were told our portfolios must show some reflection using a model and show that we have been working towards a course in health visiting for some time (so not just something we have decided to do last minute) I hope this helps and i am not too late posting as i think your interview is about now. Mine is Friday - i am so nervous. Is it acceptable to take cue cards into an interview?! I am sure further up the thread it was suggested, but i think that may make me appear unprepared rather than the other way round. If anyone has had an interview at Bolton i would appreciate any advice - loads of good advice on here though it has been so helpful and i wish you all good luck!

tomvie Tue 19-Mar-13 17:26:15

Good luck to all of you. I remember it all last year just keep going. The Field, Allen, Monro and Tickell reports can probably be found via the department of health website. They are Frank Field, Graham Allen, Claire Tickell. Don't get bogged down in them though really they all note early interventions for children to give them the best start in life and how poverty can affect this. You certainly won't need to quote from them but they do form the basis for early intervention and government policy. Just put them into google and they should come up. Pity I can't attach them on here but if you want to personal message me I can certainly let you have them.

nervouslywating Tue 19-Mar-13 18:13:54

How do I personally message you?! I can't see how to do that :-) because that would be fab

Smartypants123 Tue 19-Mar-13 19:15:48

Has anyone had an email from Derbyshire asking them to complete the trust values survey? Is this a positive step and does anyone know how much weight they place on it. Feels like another hoop to jump through. Just wish I knew if I had an interview or not.

Leah80 Tue 19-Mar-13 20:03:57

Hi Smartypants123 I got one from Derby this afternoon. I dont have a clue as to how much it goes towards an interview, it just said at the end that it would be placed with my application.

tomvie Tue 19-Mar-13 20:43:47

to personally message look at the blue line on the posted message and on the right hand side are 3 options - add message, report and message poster. click on message poster. Let me know which reports you want as have most of them as use them loads on the course.

Smartypants123 Tue 19-Mar-13 20:50:10

Hi Leah80 thanks for replying. Got all excited when I saw the message then found out it was just that. So frustrating. Will complete and send it back.

Leah80 Tue 19-Mar-13 21:20:46

Yes i also got excited, its not too bad to complete, i just got stumped on the last few but think i've done ok, i'm sure i will find out soon enough.

laura2013 Wed 20-Mar-13 09:10:30

I have an interview on friday at bolton university has anyone else got one there? im so nervous, im a newly qualified nurse but have been lucky enough to have gained 17 weeks placement experience with the health visitors during my training! any recommendations on what are the most important things to look up on?

Caggers85 Wed 20-Mar-13 10:37:43

Wow what a thread!!!!!!!!!!!

I've just applied to do my training at the University of Cumbria having qualified as a nurse in September. I hope I get in but with a 2yr old I worry that the work load will be horrid but I coped with my final year of nursing with a baby so I will keep positive that I get an interview.

I followed the personal spec perfectly for the application so I really hope I get a chance.

Can any of you confirm what the course consists of module wise, essays, exams etc. I would REALLY appreciate that. Also the length of placements and do you get holidays??? I want to get all the info... Can you tell haha.

Well done to those who got on the course and keep going for those who haven't got there just yet. Xxxxxxx

nervouslywating Wed 20-Mar-13 10:58:07

Laura2013 mine is at Bolton on Friday too. I am trying to familiarise myself with all the policies as well as thinking they will ask common questions about what can bring to the role, difficulties perceived doing the course, leadership skills, and so on. To be honest I am dreading it and can't wait for it to be over! As for course content and modules that should all bd available on your chosen uni website page for the course (I know boltons is as it gives you a run down of modules etc) Bolton had an open day which explained about everything from how to apply (what they want on the form) and how to get shortlisted, what they are looking for in an interview and stuff like that. If anyone is thinking of applying I recommend going to one like it (if offered) as I had already done my personal statement before I attended it - but ripped it up and started again after I'd been lol!!!!!

AutumnDaisy Wed 20-Mar-13 11:09:05

Hello again everyone, well done to all those of you with interviews! I'm still waiting to hear. Can I ask, those of you who applied via the university, did you hear back from them via email or letter? I applied a month ago and haven't heard anything yet :-/ Thanks xx

thyra30 Thu 21-Mar-13 06:28:59

Hi Tomvie, can you please send me all de useful articles etc. My email is

baduama1@gmail.com.

Thanks

Pinkyblondeprincess Thu 21-Mar-13 15:57:49

Hi guys
Wow this thread is great!
I have applied for HV in Kent and Medway trusts. Still waiting to hear if been short listed to next stage ( Uni academic essay). Its horrible waiting i constantly keep checking email!! Really want this, loved my short time in HV in my nurse training - anyone else out there applied for kent or
Medway for sept 13?

Thanks
Pinky
X

lancsy Thu 21-Mar-13 18:20:02

Hi everyone, like others on this thread I applied to the student health visitor course and attended the assessment at Uni of Surrey on 13th march. To my surprise I was successful and have been told within 7 days I would be invited to the next stage but this hasnt happened yet and its been a week!! I'm starting to worry a bit. Has anyone else had the same situation??

This thread is not accepting new messages.