Student Health Visitor Interview!!

(1000 Posts)
chewie29 Mon 16-Apr-12 14:56:16

Hi all.
I am currently a staff nurse on maternity leave and I have been very lucky, I have managed to get an interview for a Student Health Visitor Post tomorrow. Has anyone any advice they can give me for the actual interview? I am stressing as it is something I have wanted to do for a long time! I have send by little man over to his nans this afternoon so I can concentrate, I have just been getting more stressed as the day goes on. I have been preparing for the interview for some time but I'm worried my nerves will ruin it for me! Any advice or tips would be great. Thank you.

samuel1992 Sat 15-Jun-13 00:48:49

Hi everyone , very helpful stream. Can anyone please give me a clue on how to complete the knowledge & experience section on the round 2 form. Thanks

Funkymadhouse Sat 15-Jun-13 05:44:57

Hi petmadmummy and fingerscrossed79 our topic for group discussion was a scenario. We had 3 equally deserving problematic cases. A 6 wk old baby, a mum of twins who had cancer and a single Dad with teenage son all requiring life saving treatment/surgery. We were the SHA but only had enough funding to help one of the families!!! We had to debate and decide who we would help and why!!! It was fun actually. The group work isn't so much about the answers you give it's how well you listen to each other and get your point across fairly and concisely. They wanna see how well you work as a team with a group of other professionals with different opinions/targets etc good luck both of you :-) xx

Funkymadhouse Sat 15-Jun-13 05:50:43

Hi Samuel1992 unsure what you mean could you expand on your question? x

Mommeeof3 Sun 16-Jun-13 19:17:49

Hi all, I also have assessment and an interview at derby on 24th June and am trying to prepare. Can anyone give some advice on this? How much emphasis is placed on different things? I get really nervous at interviews and am dreading it. Thanks in advance

samuel1992 Sun 16-Jun-13 19:59:29

Thanks Funkymadhouse, I am completing my application for HV with London deanery round 2 for Jan 2014. Part of this application requested knowledge & experience . Which I'm not sure what knowledge they want me to show . Is it my present nursing knowledge or HV knowledge of policies .
Any help pls, thanks.

petmadmummy Sun 16-Jun-13 21:02:22

Hi samuel1992, when i spoke to someone who sometimes helps shortlist she said they need to know how your skills and experience transfer to hv role. All about transferable skills. Good to mention awareness of some policies ie healthy child programme and hv implementstion plan, but they dont expect you to know all about it. They want to know what you can bring to the profession. Hope that helps. Good luck.

sweetpie123 Sun 16-Jun-13 22:55:42

London Deanery GRRRRrrrrrrrrrr whats up? i am human.

Cath82 Tue 18-Jun-13 20:08:47

Hi, what a brilliant thread! I have found out today I have an interview July 1st. No mention of group interviews but are asking for a presentation about implications for health visiting of the Francis report.
I am very nervous but feel better after reading the fantastic advice here. I have also requested to join the Facebook group.

Good luck to everyone still going through application process.

themummy75 Tue 18-Jun-13 21:44:48

hi all, i love this thread!! I had a terrible interview experience in april 2012 and cried on phone to my mum all the way home as felt id messed up etc and then got offered a place!! So dont worry peeps just do your best and fingers crossed.

I started my course part time in march this year and am really struggling with my research assignment!! can anyone who has already sone theres help suggest a good qualitative article. My research assignment was my worse in my nursing diploma so goodness help me now at degree level!!!! it has to be in by 23rd july!!!

any help would be so greatly appriciated!
x x x smile

samuel1992 Wed 19-Jun-13 15:05:51

Hi petmadmummy, thanks I've submitted the application now waiting to hear from London deanery.

Zek99 Wed 19-Jun-13 17:38:28

I have been watching this forum from afar and it's amazing!! I also applied for london Deanery for January... Fingers crossed!

botswana7 Wed 19-Jun-13 22:30:42

Hi everyone, just found this thread and it has been extremely helpful, just wished I had spotted it weeks ago. I have my interview at Canterbury this Monday 24th and trying to read up on all the DH white papers. Also need some reflection in my portfolio. My essay was about my transferrable skills so they may ask me about that. I am adult trained with ICU and theatre experience, but have no experience in the community. Hope this doesn't put me at a disadvantage. Good luck everyone else that is trying to get through this process.

Funkymadhouse Wed 19-Jun-13 22:55:58

Hi sweetpie123 any news yet? ;) ;)

Botswana7 my background is adult HDU/ICU and I was offered a place. Talk about how your skills are transferable, don't get too hung up talking about your acute experience and definitely brush up on HV policies ie. Call to action and The healthy child programme and also know your public health stuff ie breast feeding immunisations smoking cessation etc. They wouldn't have offered you an interview if your application wasn't tip top!! Good luck smile

NikkiMorgan04 Thu 20-Jun-13 21:02:56

Hey botswana7,
I also have an interview at CCCU on the 24th and am desperately trying to revise as much as I physically can. Good luck for Monday, you never know we might bump into each other there!

Stressedmumsie Thu 20-Jun-13 22:10:16

Really need some help guys! I've got an interview a week Monday and need to do a presentation on 'the implications on health visitors following the francis report'?! Got to admit I am struggling a bit! Doesn't help that ds 2 has been in the hospital this week sad any help would be great xx

sweetpie123 Fri 21-Jun-13 01:11:15

Funkymadhouse Thanks for checking. I don't know if this is a good/bad sign.

sweetpie123 Fri 21-Jun-13 01:12:16

LD is not communicating.

Zek99 Fri 21-Jun-13 16:40:42

Sweetpie 123 what's the matter?? I also applied am awaiting from london deanery... They keep on extending the deadline to apply!

MrsLWestie Sat 22-Jun-13 11:19:42

For those who already have a place in Derby commencing September, have you heard of a start date yet? Ive heard people have had to apply to the uni for a place, and some people have been given dates for a placement induction also................

For those who have a place on the assessment day on 24th, go on the Trust website and read up on the Trust Values - the assessment day is designed to see how well you fit in with the values - its not about your knowledge of a HV - although you are obviously expected to have a good understanding. there will be a written piece, group discussion, group scenario and a role play, you will be being observed all day long, even over lunch!! Good Luck!!

samuel1992 Sat 22-Jun-13 15:26:55

Anyone heard from LD yet?

samuel1992 Sat 22-Jun-13 15:38:04

I'm getting really anxious as my application essay doesn't seem to be very good, initially I was confused on what they were looking for on the Knowledge & Experience question. I'm a neonatal nurse with no community experience but knows a thing or two with breast feeding and family orientated care. Very keen to get into HV.
No news yet from London Deanery. Is a very nervous wait.

mater13 Sat 22-Jun-13 18:37:54

Hi all, great info! I have an interview on 1st July and I messed up totally at the last one.... bad memories. Can anyone help please. I was asked how I could ensure effective delivery of the HCP, how do you identify inequalities and then address them, what I would do if I had a practice conflict with my mentor - didn't answer these properly. Also looking at how the Francis report and the new funding arrangements will impact on health visiting.
Not to mention what I consider leadership skills......

Zek99 Mon 24-Jun-13 18:43:39

Samuel1992 I have not heard anything either!! What's going on?

samuel1992 Mon 24-Jun-13 20:02:21

Zek99, I'm hoping London deanery will start contacting applicants soon.

petmadmummy Mon 24-Jun-13 20:39:11

Yay, got a place at Derby for sept........soooo happy

This thread is not accepting new messages.