Student Health Visitor Interview!!

(1000 Posts)
chewie29 Mon 16-Apr-12 14:56:16

Hi all.
I am currently a staff nurse on maternity leave and I have been very lucky, I have managed to get an interview for a Student Health Visitor Post tomorrow. Has anyone any advice they can give me for the actual interview? I am stressing as it is something I have wanted to do for a long time! I have send by little man over to his nans this afternoon so I can concentrate, I have just been getting more stressed as the day goes on. I have been preparing for the interview for some time but I'm worried my nerves will ruin it for me! Any advice or tips would be great. Thank you.

Pinkyblondeprincess Sat 23-Mar-13 18:12:01

Cath889-i have applied to CCCU- good luck!! I have heard back and been given an essay title and its to be 2000 words written in academic style and the next stage with be group exercise and interview. I dont have long to get it done with night shifts and post office closed over easter to get it posted back!!

Tomvie- what are the 15 days public health placements are they in a school etc?

cath889 Sat 23-Mar-13 19:35:27

pinkyblondeprincess I have my literacy and numeracy test tuesday, did you have one or just the essay to do next? On the kent community health nhs team leader's advice re. placements I chose Greenwich as the canterbury placements could be miles away from where I live, good luck with your essay! having night shifts really does mess up studying I'd imagine, and children do too!

Moochi1986 Sat 23-Mar-13 19:47:22

Hi Lanscy

I have an assessment day at surrey in Monday! I applied through Sussex. What is the assessment day like? What do you get asked?
I know someone who had a 2nd interview and it was allot more formal and you need to read up about the trust you have applied for. What trust has you applied for? Xx

nervouslywating Sat 23-Mar-13 19:52:29

Pinkyblondeprincess the group exercise was a scenario for us to discuss where we had to decide which out of 3 (deliberately stupid) situations we would choose to support. There was no right or wrong answer and they look at how (as a group) you reach the decision. There is always someone who leaps in and tries to lead the group but that's not always the best thing (as they don't encourage others to speak) - according to the sites I looked at (google role play for interviews) they are looking for people who get others to interact, for time keeping , and for encouraging group participation - it's a leadership style rather than someone hogging the ten minutes or so leaving some people out. Hope that makes sense. Ive heard of scenarios like being lost on the moon for eg where the discussion would be planning/organising priorities etc. as I say the actual scenario is not what's important it's how you interact with others to get to your conclusion. I made sure everyone had chance to get their point across, didn't leave anyone out and kept an eye on the clock as we were told how long we had. Hope this helps. Everywhere will do different types of group exercise but what they will be looking for is your leadership style.

lancsy Sat 23-Mar-13 20:30:49

Hi Moochi1986,

Glad I found someone going for Surrey! I applied to all of them but got a response from Virgin Care?? They asked me that at my assessment too and they said a lot of people applied to all 3 so its fine. Congrats on being shortlisted too becuase they invited so few of about 700 apparently. The assessment day was ok, we did a group discussion on a public health related topic and then a short interview with 2 people, only a few q's like why do you want to be a HV ect. I got told I would be invited back for round 2 but not heard anything yet. Fingers crossed for Monday, show them you really want it and sell yourself! xx

jingles13 Sat 23-Mar-13 20:40:42

Hi
Did anyone that went for an interview with Hampshire heard anything from the interview day?? The waiting is driving me mad!!

Stash1987 Sun 24-Mar-13 12:53:50

Hey guys! Congratulations to those of you that have been offered a student health visiting position, and thank you for everyone's contribution,this forum has been really useful! I really want to become a student health visitor and have my interview next week and am really worried about it. I understand the safeguarding process within a hospital setting but am not too sure about what happens or the process within a community setting. Fr those of you that are already students what is the process if a health visitor has some concerns regarding a suspicious bruise on a baby? Looking forward to your reply. Xx

Leah80 Sun 24-Mar-13 13:43:07

Stash1987 i'm not a student but from a personal experience my son had a briuse on his head for one of his development check from falling on a toy, she just asked me about it and explained that she would have to note it in his red book. I guessing it would be the same and then its in their notes as well for future reference if they see anymore appear then they could see that there had been more previously. Not sure if that helps or not but its just to tell you what happened. Good luck with your interview, i have one next week too x

marbeth Sun 24-Mar-13 15:52:38

Hi Stash1987

If a baby has a bruise, the correct procedure would be social services referral and baby would need to be seen by hospital paediatrican. Any baby that is not cruising should not have a bruise. Mention look at the developmental stage and age , also where bruise is.

Pinkyblondeprincess Sun 24-Mar-13 17:11:32

Cath889- where do you live if you don't mind me asking? I heard the same that with Kent you could be placed as at as 1.5hrs from where you live to your placement, so for that reason i am hoping for Medway as its a smaller radius than the whole of kent! Good luck with numeracy and lit test, no for kent/medway its a 2000 word essay and then if pass that stage, a group interview then individual interview. Let me know how you get on!

Nervouslywaiting-thank you for that information, i am so nervous about the role play feel sick thinking about it already!!

dannibear2008 Sun 24-Mar-13 17:41:34

hi guys,
I hope your all well. i am worried sick about this presentation i got this week as part of my interview, i do not know if its right. Please help i am a crazy woman! i am thinking of doing a presentation on safeguarding, but not sure how the policies are put into practice for this. i have searched books and internet, tried to contact local hv's and sure start centres but not getting anywhere fast. if anyone can point me in the right direct or advise i would be grateful. good luck for all of you that have interviews this week x

nervouslywating Sun 24-Mar-13 19:13:07

If you google it you should find your local safeguarding children board where you'll find all the local procedures for reporting etc. I was asked a safeguarding question and I said if I was not sure what to so the advice is to contact local safeguarding board (all contacts are on website with advice) as if you are not sure what to do then they put you in touch with the relevant person to advise you.

Caggers85 Sun 24-Mar-13 19:56:32

Hi. Another questions for those on the course...

What happened regarding holidays and how long are the placements? I understand that each Uni will differ but i would really appreciate your answers xx

Leah80 Mon 25-Mar-13 12:13:21

Those of you who have places or on the course, how many of you got on first time around? Does it happen? Thanks x

lancsy Mon 25-Mar-13 14:01:13

For anyone who has gone through the application process. If and when you obtained funding from the sponsoring trust, was it fairly straight forward to apply for the place at university and was there a good availability/competition for these places?? and would you reccommend applying to more than one? thank you!! xx

nervouslywating Mon 25-Mar-13 14:57:17

At Bolton we applied direct to uni but had to specify which NHS trust we wanted sponsorship from (and we could only apply to one)
The interviews were joint ie academic staff from uni plus practice teachers from trust applied for - so both had to agree to offer a place for you to get on the course. Obviously everywhere will be different but this was Bolton.

Apparently Bolton currently does 7 weeks uni then 7 weeks placement but again I imagine everywhere will differ.
At interview I was told that holidays were worked in to the schedule - were fixed dates and no holiday could be taken at any other time under any circumstances. I imagine that's pretty standard.

Hope that helps

nervouslywating Mon 25-Mar-13 15:03:03

Ps Leah I got on first time round but I did have lots if guidance from people who have done the course recently. I think if you plan enough you can do it , however while I was at my interview I did think at least if I failed this time I would know better next time as its easier to gauge what went wrong!!! Just make sure that your portfolio is completely sorted and think about what they will ask you. It's all very well knowing about the health visitor implementation plan for example , but they are more likely to ask you how you can help lead and deliver it rather than just describe what it is. Everything you read, think what skills you can contribute to it rather than just learn "what it is"

This is the best advice I was given - and they were right!

Pinkyblondeprincess Mon 25-Mar-13 15:20:47

Nervouslywaiting- portfolio- did you take with you to interview/do they ask to see it?
I am currently trying to write my 2000 word academic ( level6)essay:
“Reflect on the role of either the school nurse or health visitor; critically analyse the professional experience, knowledge, skills and personal attributes you would bring to your chosen professional pathway."

And I dont know where to start! Feeling stressed :/

Leah80 Mon 25-Mar-13 15:29:15

Thank you, I have my interview Weds and getting nervous now, I have been concentrating on the presentation and not much else. I haven't got much in my portfolio but it is organised neatly. Not sure what else I can put in it apart from certificates etc from courses. I would love to get on first time as I've applied to two other places as well and to have to do all 3 interviews if I get them and not get on anywhere would be quite disappointing x

Rockyroad1 Mon 25-Mar-13 16:01:13

Hi Leah80, I also have my interview for notts this week. I just want it over and done with now. Do you have any idea how many spaces there are?

Leah80 Mon 25-Mar-13 16:38:30

Rockyroad1 when is your interview, is it nottm county? I've heard there are 36 spaces but I don't know how true this is. Someone said the interview is awful so not looking forward to it x

Torriee Mon 25-Mar-13 18:36:58

Hi, I've applied for the health visiting course at both Greenwich and Canterbury Christ Church. I've got my literacy and numeracy test tomorrow and I have the 2000 word essay to write for Canterbury.
Eeeeek so excited! x

Mel100 Mon 25-Mar-13 18:57:06

hi everyone, has anyone heard from London Deanery today for interview invitation? I have done my maths and literacy assessment on 11th March and was told should hear invitation for interview from today. The waiting is killing me.
good luck to everyone who is going for interview. x

Pinkyblondeprincess Mon 25-Mar-13 19:04:52

Torriee- i too have applied for CCCU- i am currently trying to write this essay! Good luck!

Bella01372 Mon 25-Mar-13 19:10:32

Hi lancsy, i went to the assessment day on the 13th also. I have to wait until the 16th april until my panel interview. I am applying through central surrey though so virgin care may be different. Gardenerschoice I'm sorry to hear you didn't get through this time. I know its really tough & there is a lot of competition for few places.

This thread is not accepting new messages.