Fancy Dress Ideas for World Book Day

(76 Posts)
Theresa Sun 11-Feb-07 20:26:42

Each year my daughters school encourage all pupils & teachers to dress as a character from a book for World Book Day and it is such a hassle! She's in year three and when she was younger it was easy they all just went in a Disney Princess dress. Now she;s older, wants to look cool, thinks she;s a bit old for fancy dress but still wants to take part as otherwise she'll stand out (!). Any ideas? I can be slightly creative, but not very, but its the ideas that i lack!
Thanks

GrendelsMum Thu 07-Mar-13 09:54:42

I just saw a cracker for a (blond) boy: t-shirt and trousers, hair brushed into a quiff, and holding a toy dog - obviously Tintin!

hardboiled Wed 06-Mar-13 11:48:38

Absolutely brilliant RabidCarrot

RabidCarrot Wed 06-Mar-13 06:04:25

Stay home and say you went as the invisible man grin

giraffesCantDateDucks Wed 06-Mar-13 05:58:46

Oh I got all excited thinking mamag was back!

louisianablue2000 Tue 05-Mar-13 22:55:28

DD1 (reception) is not really into dressing up so she is going as the little girl in 'Monkey and Me'. All I needed was a red and white stripy T-shirt, she already had everything else, including the toy monkey. On Saturday I went into every shop in town and nowhere had one! So much for an 'easy' costume.

Not looking forward to next year when DD2 starts school because she loves dressing up so the pressure will be on!

twinklytoes Tue 05-Mar-13 22:29:21

we've got:

DS(4) - a bucket of dinosaurs and normal clothes - Harry
DD (7) - Dorothy - she has the outfit already complete with red shoes
DD (9) - really not bothered - has been Hermonie for last 4 years!, she's contemplating Matilda this year - regular clothes, a red ribbon in hair, carrying a pile of books.

my favourites from the playground last year were - cat in the hat and where's wally. Oh, and the headteacher dressed as Mrs Trunchball (if only for assembly, the kids loved it)

My son has, despite being asked for the last two weeks about it, only just told me that he wants to dress up for WBD - argh! Apparently though, he and his friend are going as Bananas in Pyjamas so he can wear his onesie, which is blue and has a skull pattern all over it. I've been given the task of finding an inflatable banana by Thursday, as that will make it completely clear who he's meant to be, apparantly... hmm

Songbird Tue 05-Mar-13 11:57:35

Big fancy ribbons in different colours?

Elibean Tue 05-Mar-13 11:48:19

Ditched Monroe for Y1 dd, as can't figure out how to do it.

So it's Ottaline at School, with school pinafore, tie, odd socks and shoes, hair in plaits, a notebook to carry.

Nice and easy, apart from the odd shoes - dd2 has insoles, and can't really send her in with one trainer and one school shoe to limp all day. How can I disguise a school shoe as something else?!?

Songbird Tue 05-Mar-13 11:40:38

Oops, can't believe this is a thread from 2007!

Songbird Tue 05-Mar-13 11:40:01

DD (7) and I are thinking Hetty Feather, but it's hard if you don't want to buy a cheap but crap costume or if you can't sew. We've borrowed a mop cap and pinny from a friend and the pinny's too small really, but I will use it. I want to just put her in t-shirt and a long skirt but she hasn't got one and who sells long skirts for kids these days? Gah!

We were also thinking Anne from Famous Five, but she doesn't have anything remotely 50s ish.

LOVE the idea of Miss Trunchbull, but again, haven't got anything remotely suitable.

DD, 6 is going as Miss Trunchball. She is in army surplus shirt/khaki culottes/her brother's boots and has stuffed her vest into a heaving bosom (!). Her hair is in a top knot with pencils sticking out and she looks fabulous

DS, 5, is TinTin

VodIsGod Tue 05-Mar-13 09:59:10

I really want DS1 to go as Dobby from Harry Potter - easiest costume ever: dirty pillowcase for clothes, bare legs, holding a sock. Why won't he do it??!! grin

DS2 is dressing as a policeman from "Cops and Robbers". Easy!

tiggytape Tue 05-Mar-13 08:27:52

greengoose - that is so sweet. I would definitely buy a book called The Hedgehog and the Wooden Spoon!

greengoose Tue 05-Mar-13 03:38:59

DS (10) is insisting on going as the armoured polar bear, Lorek Byrnison, out of the Northern Lights trilogy. Hmmmm. Bit of a challenge there....

Only to be completely trumped by my five year old DS, who wants to go as the 'Hedgehog with a Wooden Spoon'. After much frustrated discussion as to what book this hedgehog is from, he eventually told me....'well, I just haven't written it yet'!

HEDGEHOG costume!? Definitely beats armoured polar bear.... Loads of time till Thursday.....confused

BackforGood Mon 04-Mar-13 23:25:15

Am loving the fact this sme question has been stumping MNers for the last 6 yrs at least.... you do realise this thread was started in 2007 ? grin
Still relevent this week though!

Catmint Mon 04-Mar-13 22:59:38

Emily brown from that rabbit belongs to Emily brown: pinafore dress, white top, white socks black school shoes, toy rabbit.

StoicButStressed Mon 04-Mar-13 22:53:35

Apols if someone already posted this upthread but too tired to read all..

Suggest google all Jacqueline Wilson characters as ALL of them can be 'costumed' with ordinary clothes - easy peasy and MUCH cooler for a year girl than fancy dress (yes, I so get where she is coming from!)

tiggytape Mon 04-Mar-13 22:45:32

a giant lamb that we all hated is now a headband with ears and a pair of paws

Wow - World Book Day has a lot to answer for!

whenwillisleepagain Mon 04-Mar-13 22:01:58

DS is in Yr 1 and wants to go as the Highway Rat. Trying to calculate what can be bought and what made, bearing in mind I have 2hr window of opportunity tomorrow when shops open and I am not at work ....and DS's upset last year when we attempted a dinosaur out of painted egg cartons and an older girl told him he had the worst costume in the whole school

Paddling try Claire's for the socks.

thingamajig Mon 04-Mar-13 20:13:38

DD is going as Angelina Ballerina, no help for those of you with older ones but I had the brainwave that cannibalising unloved soft toys is an easy and cheap way of getting fake fur and ears: a giant lamb that we all hated is now a headband with ears and a pair of paws (and she has been playing hospitals with the remains.)

geogteach Mon 04-Mar-13 13:55:52

DS2, Y3 has coloured in a map and drawn some flags which he plans to stick to his clothes, he wants to be the atlas, which is what he reads in bed but not really what you call a character hmm

musicalfamily Mon 04-Mar-13 13:37:28

We have a Y3 Pippi here too, a Y2 Horrid Henry and a Reception Sonic the Hedgehog (from the comic books)....not very original I know!!

iseenodust Mon 04-Mar-13 11:11:54

DS 8 is going as Gobber the something or other from How to train your Dragon - v cheap viking helmet from Amazon, string belt, long raggy tshirt/frayed trousers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now