anyone know pennthorpe school, near horsham

(5 Posts)
schoolhunterfor1 Sat 12-Apr-14 16:25:36

Hi,

Visited on open day, anyone familiarwith this school? Thinking about future place for our dd, seemed nice, wondered about whether all stay til 13, wanted co ed, anyone with experience?

penguindog Tue 29-Apr-14 10:05:11

I sent my dd there and unfortunately it was a big mistake. I too was impressed at the open day (it does have lovely facilities & ethos seemed good), but the reality was very different. The teaching was sub standard and we were getting better teaching in the state system. The majority of the staff were unenthusiastic, bored by their job and did not teach well. Mr King (headmaster) although a very good sales man, and was very good at saying what you wanted to hear, but in term of running a strong educational team and listening to parents he was poor.
Their were many unhappy parents at the school who spent too much time moaning about it.
The girls were mean and bitchy and it was not a happy environment.
The best decision I made was moving dd away away from the school.

schoolrunfiend Thu 01-May-14 00:32:13

Hi Schoolhunter, I suppose everyone looks for different things but I have two children at Pennthorpe and am really happy. Amazingly caring staff and my kids actually want to go to school! They get really good results as well if that's what you're interested in.

Hia3 Thu 12-Jun-14 21:56:50

I also have 3 children at the school.
Very caring supportive school, with excellent teachers.
My children are happy and doing well.
If you are at all concerned , just look at how many scholarships the school gets at the end of year 8- 20 this year, 23 last year !

Hia3 Thu 12-Jun-14 22:10:25

Sorry did not answer your question.
Most do stay till year 8
Year 3-6 normally consists of 2 classes with a max of 20 in each class.

At the end of year 6 typically about 10 leave- normally to go to excellent local state schools e.g Weald, Tanbridge or Millais, the odd 1 or2 girls sometimes go to local Independant girls schools .
Not many girls go to girls schools at the end of year 6 or year 8, majority continue co- ed.

In year 7 , 1 or 2 new children from local schools sometimes join to prepare for Common Entrance Exams to independant Senior Schools.
Year 7 and 8 is normally around 28/30 pupils, so only 14/15 in a class.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now