Bearwood College Wokingham

(18 Posts)
Tiredbutstillwithapulse Wed 11-Sep-13 21:47:05

My son goes to Bearwood College and I must say I've been delighted. Yes, the results are low and yes, they have more than average amounts of children with learning difficulties (which I suspect impacts on the results but looking at the added value they give to those children, the learning support team must do a good job) but they've also got A star students, just not as many as some other places. I think they ' turn out' people with good social skills, lots of experiences above and beyond some other schools and a close 'family feel' throughout the school. It certainly suits my son, as his results are testament to.

Tiredbutstillwithapulse Wed 11-Sep-13 21:47:03

My son goes to Bearwood College and I must say I've been delighted. Yes, the results are low and yes, they have more than average amounts of children with learning difficulties (which I suspect impacts on the results but looking at the added value they give to those children, the learning support team must do a good job) but they've also got A star students, just not as many as some other places. I think they ' turn out' people with good social skills, lots of experiences above and beyond some other schools and a close 'family feel' throughout the school. It certainly suits my son, as his results are testament to.

encyclogirl Sun 01-Sep-13 23:30:34

Dh went there, said it was lovely but no encouragement to achieve whatsoever in his day. He left in 1987 though.

San1211 Tue 27-Aug-13 19:06:29

Thanks all you for your help... will keep researching

BlackBorderBinLiner Tue 27-Aug-13 15:01:00

Ideal for the nice but dim child, lots of overseas students. Rolls have fallen and staff that have left have not been replaced.

Lots of options in the area and lots of the state schools are excellent.

Dd starts at Abbey in September. I looked at lots of schools as we are moving from a good state school to fee paying. Dd will be joining yr 3 which we felt was a good time to move.

Ds2 will be starting Reading boys. We are really pleased that he got in, although had a place for Blue coats that is walkable/bikeable from where we live.

Crosfield looked good and was on the short list we have several friends with children at Crosfield. They all recommend it highly.

FayeKorgasm Tue 27-Aug-13 12:47:18

My son went to Leighton Park and loved it. I was very happy too. There was a school bus that collected and picked up from Wokingham which was very useful. I'm sure it is still available.

He has now graduated with a good degree from a great university and working.

Good luck with your decision.

BrigitBigKnickers Tue 27-Aug-13 12:42:25

One of DDs friends went there. She is very dyslexic and I believe they have special provision for this. Might that be another reason for the poorer results?

Inclusionist Sun 25-Aug-13 09:17:05

You just have to look at the leavers' destinations San. See how many get into the good/ selective senior schools and whether they feed the type of senior school you think you might want.

For example, if you think you might want Reading Boys do they regularly get children in? We might want RGS/ Hampton/ Eton/ Millfield etc so I would be looking for schools that send some boys to each of those every year.

If the school don't put exact details of leavers' destinations on the website ask for them.

San1211 Sun 25-Aug-13 09:08:59

Inclusionist - yes if the school is far a school bus will definitely help but that comes with extra cost and also fixed times.

Milliways - Crossfield is the list for next open day visit. For schools who have GCSE and A level results you can easily find the information and see how they do academically but for prep schools which are mostly till year 6 or 8. How do you find how good they are ?

Milliways Sat 24-Aug-13 16:30:24

Apparently Bearwood does OK if you look at the British kids alone. It used to have a lot of foreign student with English as second language that skewed the results - but that may not be so true now.

Have you looked at Crossfields?

Inclusionist Sat 24-Aug-13 15:49:45

At the moment Lambrook is 30mins from us but we will be moving in January to a new build on the edge of Bracknell that is less than 10mins door to door.

That said, if we were not moving I would still use Lambrook. It is really lovely. The longer school run wouldn't be ideal but I personally would consider it worth it.

There is a school bus from Hare Hatch on the A4 if that would help you out?

San1211 Fri 23-Aug-13 21:28:32

Hi Inclusionist .. My son will be starting receptions on 2014 as well. He is the only one at the moment. I am slightly scared of sending him to a school which is far from home as pick and drop will become a challenge. How far is lambrook for you? are you not concerned about the school run?

Inclusionist Mon 19-Aug-13 21:38:08

If your DS is that little I would recommend looking at Lambrook for him. My DS will be starting there in Sept 2014 and I did a LOT of local research. How old are your others?

Maybe Lambrook - Wellington (DH used to work at Wellington, I can vouch for the education) then they are all going the same way?

alemci Mon 19-Aug-13 21:23:32

looked a lovely setting for a school. one of my friends dd went there and her dh is staff.

San1211 Mon 19-Aug-13 21:19:47

Thanks Inclusionist.. Had been to St Josephs as well. Looks better than Bearwood but some public schools and comprehensive schools in the area look better.
I am looking for Co-ed and my DS will start reception so Abbey is not an option. Will look at some of the other ones you have suggested.

Inclusionist Mon 19-Aug-13 20:06:06

Historically very weak academically. Beautiful though!

Maybe have a look at Leighton Park or St Josephs? Bradfield is also lovely but may be a little far.

Assuming you want co-ed there. If girls, The Abbey has a formidable academic reputation and Queen Annes know for good all round standards.

San1211 Sun 18-Aug-13 20:29:47

I am moved in the earley area in Wokingham. I am looking for a private school in the area. Visited Bearwood College. The schools looks very good but looked the A level and GCSC results and it was very disappointing and worse than comprehensive schools in the area. Any body has any idea about the school ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now