So what have you spent on secondary transfer uniform so far?

(72 Posts)
lljkk Sat 13-Jul-13 09:10:56

About £195 for us with another £100 to go, I reckon.
Been told I should have managed it all for about £50. confused
Anyone else want to share numbers?
I'm going to itemise it later, still have receipts, could take some back, in theory.
For a girl in my case.

Mine have an annoying tendency to have huge growth spurts in the first half of the Autumn term, which is why I've only bought one of each thing this time (apart from shirts). At least there's a younger brother it can be passed on to.

The other time they have a massive growth spurt is June, which is equally annoying.

£150 so far. 3 school jumpers, 1 raincoat, 6 tshirts, 2 pe shirts, shin pads and football socks.

Still got 2 tracksuits, pe short, swimming trunks, 6 trousers, outdoor waterproof gear, clothes suitable for hiking/outdoor activites and trainers, shoes and walking boots to get.

Thank god Toad is going to a Sn secondary school that does not insist on everything being branded!!

crunchbag Fri 19-Jul-13 14:18:37

non badged:
4 shirts, 2 trousers, pe shorts £42

badged
blazer, 2 ties, 2 summer polos, rugby shirt, socks, pe shirt £70

total £112

still to get, gum shield and shin pads, will be less than £10

socks, shoes and trainers don't need replacing.

Schmedz Fri 19-Jul-13 17:01:51

Too much! School insists on a certain brand of sports kit. So one skort, one PE top, one pair track suit trousers and track top nearly £100. I kid you not. This doesn't include the optional waterproof at nearly £50!

Or the rest of the 'daily' school uniform. One jumper nearly £40, a school shirt £12 and plain skirt £18. Secondhand uniform shop is the way to go...

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 20-Jul-13 23:20:23

It's interesting to see how much stuff kids have these days (neither of mine have school uniform). When I was at school I had three school shirts (I would wear them each for two days), one school jumper (washed every weekend, if I got something down it, I sponged it off myself), one school skirt (dry cleaned at half term), one wool blazer (ditto). PE kit was aertex shirt (one, washed every weekend) and one pair of stretchy shorts (ditto). We had skirts and socks provided for hockey matches. No track suits, if you were cold, you just put your school jumper over the top.

Loshad Sat 20-Jul-13 23:58:14

Still must be a rough school Hulababy for your dd if she needs a gun shield grin

Pragmatica Sat 17-Aug-13 19:44:28

How are we all doing?
I have tried to be clever and use mail order so as to spread the cost of transfer to secondary over two months (Hah!). So far I have spent about £200.

2 blouses (plan to get 2 more at 2nd hand sale)
1 school logo cardi (too small, DD has clearly been growing)
1 blazer (fine)
school shoes, need to get trainers and astroturfs (DD's right foot has had a growth spurt since July, may wait for the other one to catch up...)
hockey socks
knee-high socks
hair elastic thingies in new uniform colour
PE skort (...far too small)
PE top
leotard
cycle shorts
gum shield same size as old one but not chewed (cheapo boil in the bag so... OK)
swimbag
have only found 1 shin pad, will presumably need to buy a new pair.

Still to buy: 1 regulation length "must be measured" school skirt, 1 new-this-year school coat, 1 school logo track top and trousers (more expensive than the skirt and blazer).
total cost anticipated: probably getting on for £300.
Can be recycled from Y6: swimsuit smile, scarf, hat, gloves, pencil case. have just put an old rucksack through washing machine grin.

Kenlee Sun 18-Aug-13 03:35:27

I have spent over 500 pounds....and I think another 100 pounds to go...

btw does anyone know what type of one inch heeled black school shoes are the norm for Priorsfield???

lljkk Sat 24-Aug-13 07:18:11

Final numbers in, at least until her feet grow or stuff gets lost!: £250 because I got some 2nd hand items and cheap trainers & Brogues. It helps that DD is small so can still buy primary-size trousers in supermarket. Spent an hour last night getting names on everything. I find that PE kit is the worst for going missing so several name tags on each item of that.

lljkk Sat 24-Aug-13 07:22:02

Ah nuts, forgot about new backpack (old one falling to bits) & I let her choose a new pencil case. So hopefully real final total = £273-ish.

MrsS: you know how MNers are obsessed with washing, one skirt only washed twice washed all term? No one would admit that now.

microcosmia Sat 24-Aug-13 23:18:06

When DS went to state secondary last year I spent an eye watering 1300 euro but most of that was on his books, bus ticket and supplies which aren't free here in Ireland. I got away relatively lightly with his uniform which cost 430 euros. It's the cheapest uniform of all the others around seemingly but none can be bought in chain stores only in the uniform shops, well except for shirts at any rate. This year thankfully he needs no uniform extras except for PE trainers but his books were nearly 200 euros so far and I have more to get.

microcosmia Sat 24-Aug-13 23:34:43

I posted earlier but my post is invisible or floating around cyberspace, not sure which.

I'm in Ireland too and last year DS started state secondary and I forked out over 1300 euros for books, uniform, bus ticket and supplies. We could have had a week in Spain nearly for that.

His uniform is one of the cheapest apparently at 430 euros including shoes and PE gear. Luckily I only have to get trainers this year but his books are around 200 euros.

Maryz I feel your pain it's so wasteful having different editions of books that can't be passed on. I have loads of primary books we can't re use though at least thy didn't cost as much as the secondary books.

mumtwo3 Mon 26-Aug-13 10:50:39

Hi The uniform does cost a fortune. However I did find out that the dentist will make your child a mouth guard for free. I thought it would be useful to share this information

Arisbottle Mon 26-Aug-13 11:14:00

I posted on another thread that with one at primary and three at secondary we have easily spent in excess of £1k and on top of that have DSS uni expenses

Marmitelover55 Mon 26-Aug-13 17:22:04

Over £550 and this is for a state academy (previously private school), but am happy as if we had gone private then I would have had to pay this and the fees too grin

mimbleandlittlemy Tue 27-Aug-13 17:03:35

State academy introducing new uniform for this years Y7s so no second hand options available plus DS very, very tall, big feet so all the most expensive prices on blazers etc etc:

Shirts - 3 packs (for variety of short/long sleeves) - M&S in 20% offer so - £24.40
Logo Blazer - £36 (would have been £25 if he'd been average 11/12 year size)
Logo Jumper - £17
3 pairs trousers - £55.50
2 school ties (don't know the attrition rate) - £12
Logo PE kit (shorts, hoodie, shirt, socks) - £53
Shoes x 2 pairs from Clarks - £105
Rucksack - £24

Pencils/case, set square, compass, ruler, rubbers, calculator, Oxford Eng. dictionary, French dictionary etc - £70 or thereabouts

Oooh, £396.90.

Still have lunch money to put on the Magic Finger + emergency mobile top up.

Nicky898 Sat 07-Sep-13 14:10:19

Well, I find all these accounts very modest. It is now more than four years ago that I priced up dd's uniform and sportswear, including sports bag. It came to £700+ then there were two pairs of trainers, hockey stick and odds and ends I have forgotten, oh and mouth guard. I also fork out each term for insurance and private dental work, just in case. It's not that I am well off but that I think education is too important to skimp on. In a year when there have been widespread accounts of fewer A* and A level passes my dd's "leading public school" as journalists are want to describe them has had its best ever results and dd has had her first A* for Divinity. Who would have thought it possible of any offspring of mine, being a heathen myself!

cory Sun 08-Sep-13 12:34:40

We seem to be the real cheapskates around here:

apart from one logo-ed pullover (at £14.99), all ds needs is a couple of pairs of black trousers, 3 or 4 blue shirts, a pair of (unspecified) black shoes and an unspecified PE kit (trainers, shorts and T-shirt) and some kind of raincoat. ASDA and Primark can supply all our needs. They don't inspect socks so he just picks up whatever he can find. All working out at under £100, and probably considerably cheaper than a non-uniform school.

marriedinwhiteisback Fri 20-Sep-13 22:57:58

Blouses are two for £45 here shock. I think the blazer was £128 shock shock. We are pleased she hasn't really grown much since she started and everything will probably last until Y12.

gazzalw Sun 22-Sep-13 14:45:16

Yes, I was going to say consider £300 well spent on uniform - if it comes in under that then consider yourself very lucky....

I would advocate having a savings pot (unless you are wealthy) as it's easier to drip feed a uniform fund than to resent paying for it as a chunk out of one's bank account....

Just imagine if you have twins or triplets???

BlackberrySeason Mon 23-Sep-13 11:14:19

Starting saving now - some of those amounts are huge!

HermioneGranger38 Fri 25-Apr-14 16:55:25

DD started at a Private school in September and the uniform was £350. Was estimatedto be £450 but the second hand shop saved £100 grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now