How long does it take your children walk to school?

(35 Posts)
Madmog Wed 03-Apr-13 09:46:36

How along does it take your children to walk to school? At the moment my Y7 daughter is lucky as she only has a 5 minute walk to school. We're looking at moving though and the only way to get a bigger house is to be on the outskirts of our area entailing a 20-30 minute walk for her. Certainly don't mind her getting the exercise, but just thinking about days when she has her PE kit and violin and it's pouring with rain.

teacherwith2kids Wed 03-Apr-13 18:22:59

Interestingly, the DofE guidance on school uniform states:
"A school should encourage children to walk and cycle to school and give consideration to this when determining the design and style of uniform."

Although this is non-statutory, I suggest that it would be easy to argue that a school that did not permit the wearing of suitable clothing for cold or wet weather was being unreasonable wrt this guidance.

whiteflame Wed 03-Apr-13 18:25:27

There's no way such a ridiculous rule would stand up if challenged (unless maybe a private school). The same as the daft one about not taking blazers and/or jumpers off in extreme heat.

teacherwith2kids Wed 03-Apr-13 18:30:43

And frankly, in terms of the school's reputation, if I saw children with only blazers on rather than coats in cold weather - and if it became clear that was a school policy - then that is a school whose reputation with me would plummet and I would share my negative perceptions widely, as it clearly shows that they value appearance above children's welfare, and therefore a school to avoid at all costs.

MakingAnotherList Wed 03-Apr-13 18:34:30

My teenagers walk 2.7 miles. It used to take them just under an hour, now it takes them about 35 minutes. They've walked since year 7, now in years 9 & 10.

It's about a mile and a half each way, further on Games afternoon as the rugby pitches are at a different site. As for how long it takes him, you might as well ask how long is a piece of string? It depends on how tired he is and who he is walking with. Personally, I can't see why it would take more than thirty-five minutes.

lljkk Fri 05-Apr-13 18:21:46

30 minutes for a year 7 seems reasonable to me. In all weathers.

needanewnickname Fri 05-Apr-13 19:24:02

My Year 7 DS has a walk which takes 25 minutes if walking briskly. He walks in all weathers and sometimes has to take a musical instrument as well as PE kit. OP, I don't think you need to be worried about the length of the walk, but it is worth thinking about whether it will feel safe, particularly in the dark, and whether your daughter will be the only one from her school having to walk past lots of kids from a different secondary school.

Tingalingle Mon 08-Apr-13 17:34:23

If he walks, it takes just over an hour (4.5 miles).

He doesn't do it. Does cycle some days, but not when he needs the tuba.

<awaits tales of rock-hard kids who cycle in the snow with two tubas and a double bass>

needanewnickname Mon 08-Apr-13 20:30:02

grin at Tingalingle

cory Tue 09-Apr-13 09:29:05

Ds' walk to secondary school takes me 35 minutes- takes him about an hour. I suspect his walk is more interesting than mine. wink

His general health and fitness have improved no end since he started this school and he has now developed a fondness for rambling.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now