Help! 10+ interview in City of London school for boys

(195 Posts)
koss Sun 03-Feb-13 14:21:32

Hello, I am new to this site. My DS has shortlisted for the CLSB 10+ interview. Has anyone got any previous experience? Just want some help what type of preparation needed etc.

hellsbelles Tue 26-Feb-13 23:03:56

ODC - thanks for coming back to tell us how it went. It sounds like constructive feedback and something that can be easily worked on for 11+. Fingers crossed for the 11+...now he's had this practice and you know what to work on surely it'll be much easier and hopefully give him a big advantage.

Shaded Tue 26-Feb-13 10:44:55

ODC and Farewell here are some things that helped us prepare. On interview skills my DS does that thing of not looking adults in the eye etc. We worked on that by showing him what I looked like when I avoided eye contact and helped him practice holding eye contact even if it was killing him inside. I also had him practice talking to my older friends to build his confidence i.e. I made him realise it was an issue and we were working together to find a solution.

If you PM me I can send you a list of words I found on a website that we used to work on VR and it also helps to build vocabulary. As we started really late without a tutor this was one of the shortcuts I used to bolster his vocabulary but I also found that the bonds practice on VR helped in building exam skills i.e. familiarity with the different exam questions you may get. However, the fundamental is building vocabulary.

Farewelltoarms Tue 26-Feb-13 10:24:01

Really interesting ODC, thanks so much for sharing. My ds is very immature, mostly in a sweet huggy way, but also in an inarticulate, not-look-people-in-the-eye way and complete inability to organise himself and his possessions. I think he'd have a similar experience to your boy so I'll think we'll postpone until 11. So useful to me to have had you do a trial run, though I do realise that this was not your primary intention!
I'll be interested next year to know how you get on and I hope it's really well (plus of course tips on how to mature up a lovely little boy - so sad in a way because I love the fact he still climbs into bed with us and holds hands in public etc).
Thanks again

OhDearConfused Tue 26-Feb-13 10:10:30

Yes, we have things to work on. But no, I don't think our state primary will be overly concerned to help us perfect his interview skills (or his VR results!) since that is not something which will be ordinarily part of their syllabus. Nonetheless, a tutor will help and plans are afoot.....

Thanks again

Shaded Mon 25-Feb-13 18:31:33

ODC thanks for keeping us informed - was thinking of you over the weekend. Trust the feedback will help prepare for the 11+.

Moominsarehippos Mon 25-Feb-13 18:21:31

Did they give you constructive things you could work on? Is it worth speaking to your current school to ask if there is anything they can help with?

OhDearConfused Mon 25-Feb-13 18:02:43

Hello

Am back again following a week away. We got feedback from City. He wasn't in the top 45 in terms of test results (at least not in all the three tests - he was in Maths!), so only borderline interview anyway, but obviously good enough for interview. He let himself badly down in interview however - and we got what seemed to be fair comments as to what went wrong (basically he was probably not mature enough for entry at this stage).

Now looking forward to 11+!

Thanks all and enjoy

Moominsarehippos Sat 23-Feb-13 09:56:45

So ladies... What are the 'good' schools these days? Obv St Pauls and W'minster but after that? DH isn't all that impressed with CLB (but then, how many children enjoyed school), and some of the teaching/advice wasn't great (sounds like some of the teachers were dinosaurs or old warriors). I'm sure its changed!

tripleweetabix Sat 23-Feb-13 04:00:37

Thanks Rifraf79! Yes we definitely thought of LU but sadly it didn't work out for DS which is why City is 1 of 3 potential choices remaining. I agree proximity is a very important consideration and I have no problem with LU ( except they didn't give DS a place!!)
The other 2 are much less direct to get to though possibly geographically closer..

Rifraf79 Fri 22-Feb-13 21:41:40

Tripleweetabix, did you ever think about Latymer Upper for your DS? We are thinking about the relative merits of the 2 schools, and as we are in west London LU has the advantage of proximity. Congratulations to your DS on getting a City place BTW.

tripleweetabix Fri 22-Feb-13 21:10:44

He is joining year 7 after sitting the 11 plus .

Arewetheryet Fri 22-Feb-13 20:16:33

Congratulations tripleweetabix DS are you 11 or 10+? I am sure someone will come along with some suggestions..

tripleweetabix Fri 22-Feb-13 19:38:22

Hi and congratulations to all those who received good news today!
My DS will be potentially travelling from Hammersmith/Ravenscourt park so would be great to know if any one has someone travelling in the same direction by tube...
It took us 40-45 minutes from memory ..

Arewetheryet Fri 22-Feb-13 15:59:48

Ok! Thank you all for all your fab suggestions and help. Have now investigated the first capital line which I hadn't even thought off and that appears to be the best possible route. Now to find a buddy for him to travel with??

Arewetheryet Fri 22-Feb-13 15:31:21

Sorry that is supposed to read put!

Arewetheryet Fri 22-Feb-13 15:30:54

thanks so much Moomhippo! You out a smile on my face...

Moominsarehippos Fri 22-Feb-13 15:24:48

OK.

"EVERYONE WITH A BOY AT CLS, LIVING IN SARF LONDON, PLEASE SPEAK TO AREWETHEREYET."

That should do it!

Arewetheryet Fri 22-Feb-13 15:18:31

Thanks Moonhippo, this all so stressful..

Arewetheryet Fri 22-Feb-13 15:16:14

Shaded have pm ed you hope that's ok

Moominsarehippos Fri 22-Feb-13 14:42:27

Can you find out if there's anyone nearby so that they could commute together? DH (not DS at the old location - I'm not that old!) was communing by tube from 11.

I would go with him - if possible - for a little while to see if you spot any uniforms on the tube and try to strike up a conversation with them!

Shaded Fri 22-Feb-13 14:35:19

Another question - do the firstcapitalconnect (thameslink) trains go by your part of South London? If yes then it is a direct train to Blackfriars; which is now open.

Shaded Fri 22-Feb-13 14:33:07

Arewetheryet - my DS is starting in September too and will be using public transport - this is how the majority of students get to the school. I see quite a number of City students on my line and our commute is about 35-40 minutes depending on train.

I suspect many students will have similar commute to your DS - the train stations around the school are lively and busy and are safe in my opinion, with many responsible adults around. One of my colleagues with a DS at the school said after the first few weeks of first term his DS was insitent on doing the journey himself.

It will also get easier (for you) as they grow older.

Arewetheryet Fri 22-Feb-13 14:10:30

Thanks for responding MHippos, his commute would be about an hour having checked the route.... Just wonder whether that will be too long and as I mentioned the safety aspect...

Moominsarehippos Fri 22-Feb-13 13:33:18

DS was at the old location, so it was easy for him. Check the tube travel planner. We are looking to move DS to a school with a 40 min commute and I am shitting myself at the thought of that!

Is Blackfriars open yet? It's not all that far from Cannon street.

Arewetheryet Fri 22-Feb-13 13:30:17

Hi everyone, stumbled upon this thread by accident and have read the posts with great interest. DS has managed to pass and has been offered a place at Clsb. However, now that we are faced with the reality of accepting a place we are faced with the dilemma of him traveling on the tube on his own. We love the school and he loves it too but we are now worried about his safety. So my question is how close or how far do boys at Clsb travel from. We are in south london by the way. Many thanks...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now