oK- another sschool report for interpretation..

(50 Posts)
seeker Sat 22-Dec-12 18:45:33

ds has just had his first year 7 report. It has target levels and the level he's currently at in all subjects. It doesn'r say when the targets are for.

So. Which is more likely? The target levels are for the end of the year, and he has already met 3 of them, but has to make 11 sub levels of progress in Spanish, 7 in Art and 5 in music in the next 6 months, or....
The target levels are for the end of KS3- and he has already met them in 3 subjects or....
Something completely different which makes sense, because neither of the first two options do?

noblegiraffe Sun 23-Dec-12 07:38:38

Typo? In my school we are endlessly copying data and targets from one system to another, (mainly Excel to SIMs), I'm sure mistakes are made all the time.

And once the report software was accidentally programmed to print MFL targets in the maths column, that was confusing.

TheFallenMadonna Sun 23-Dec-12 07:43:07

Our targets were changed mid year from FFT to levels of progress. Without warning. I was filling in in my reports, and did a double take.

seeker Sun 23-Dec-12 07:49:59

You know, I didn't think of a typo!

I wonder if that could explain the random 4 (unsatisfactory) among his 1s for homework handing in? Maybe I'll reinstate Christmas grin

seeker Sun 23-Dec-12 07:53:10

Thank you, loops, that's very helpful. But it does indicate that these targets are for end of KS3- his Spanish target is 5a. Which makes the others odd!

3b1g Sun 23-Dec-12 08:29:16

5a does seem ambitious for the end of Y7 if it's a language he has only started learning in September. I think I would email the school at the beginning of next term to query this.

NewFerry Sun 23-Dec-12 09:03:38

DD has just finished first term of Y7, her targets are for the end of the year.
French, she's working at 3C, eoy target is 6C. In fact all her targets are 6C except English which is higher and science which is lower.
Her current results are split pretty equally between level 4 & 5, with a 3 in French, and a 6 in science.

To be honest, I think the end of term results prob reflect where she is at now. And as long as they improve over the year then I will be happy. I very much doubt she will hit all these predicted 6s though. HTH

LoopsInHoops Sun 23-Dec-12 14:36:30

No way will y7 MFL end of year be 6, sorry.

DizzyHoneyBee Sun 23-Dec-12 14:41:14

end of key stage 3 I expect.

DizzyHoneyBee Sun 23-Dec-12 14:44:14

My DD had a target of a level 6 for the end of year 7, but round here they start learning French when they are 7/8 so have done it for 4 years by then. She hadn't done so (moved from neighbouring county) but caught up so it is do-able.

NewFerry Sun 23-Dec-12 14:51:41

Loops, I agree. DD has only started French properly this year.

LoopsInHoops Sun 23-Dec-12 16:15:08

No, it really isn't.

The levels I gave as examples are assuming most primary pupils have done the MFL since year 3. Not that it makes any difference, they will still start at level 1 in y7.

LoopsInHoops Sun 23-Dec-12 16:22:04

(Sorry, that was to Dizzy)

LoopsInHoops Sun 23-Dec-12 16:24:10

seeker, what are the other levels?

5madthings Sun 23-Dec-12 16:31:56

I would think they are targets for yr9. That is how my sons high school reports have been done.

But worth clarifying, we always get a little leaflet that explains about the levels and the targets and key stages etc.

noblegiraffe Sun 23-Dec-12 16:34:06

My school used to give targets for Y9 and has now decided to switch to end of year targets, so it's probably quite confusing for all involved.

LoopsInHoops Sun 23-Dec-12 16:36:07

To be fair, often the staff are confused - it could well be a mix.

glaurung Sun 23-Dec-12 17:28:49

Sounds as if different departments are setting targets differently to me. MFL prob end KS3, rest end of year and I think a lot of teachers make them up in any case. Throw in a few typos and they may as well just randomly generate them.

DizzyHoneyBee Sun 23-Dec-12 18:28:57

Loops, at DD's school they don't start at level 1, they assess them and then base their targets on that.
Should be the same system across the country really.

BoundandRebound Sun 23-Dec-12 18:53:33

There is no cohesiveness across the country, each school works as a mini dictatorship.

DizzyHoneyBee Sun 23-Dec-12 19:16:25

I have heard it said that all teachers are control freaks...as I work in the education sector I am saying nothing! grin

weblette Sun 23-Dec-12 20:00:35

At dd's school they don't give projected grades, just the level they're currently working at and whether or not that's above/at/below what the teachers expect of them.

circular Sun 23-Dec-12 22:01:50

Seeker - From memory, DD1 (now yr11) had a yr7 MFL target of 4a, which she reached. But was only at 2a by end Iof first term.

In yr8 and 9 she hit her end of year target by the second term but stayed at that level for the remainder of the year. This was because she had hit the target in French, but not yet in German (or vice versa) due to the way MFL was taught.

Ingles2 Sun 23-Dec-12 22:08:47

Seeker... Ds2 has just had his 1st yr 7report as well..
For German, his current grade is 3b, and his target for end of key stage, 6b.they finish ks3 end of yr 8 here though. Is that any help?

cumbrialass Wed 26-Dec-12 12:44:39

I was hauled into school at the end of year 7 to discuss why my son was below target in some subjects. After several minutes lecture by his form tutor expressing disappointment in his efforts, I asked how the targets had been set and was told they were all based on KS2 SATs results, as he was level 5 across the board in KS2, they expected him to achieve A's in all subjects at the end of year 7-which was fair enough, he is a bright boy.
EXCEPT, they had given him targets of A for Art, PE and DT and he had "only" achieved B/C's-which was why I had been summonsed. I explained carefully that, as he had severe dyspraxia, he was lucky to be able to hold a pen, let alone achieve an A in art!
I ignored targets after that!

Yr 7 son report. He hasn't done languages before.
french - working at 3a target end of year 7 is 5a (Blimey)
German - working at 3b target end of year 7 is 5b.
Hope that helps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now