school half day at end of term

(110 Posts)
mumzy Fri 14-Dec-12 17:42:03

My dcs state primary always closes at 1pm at the end of each term after they have taken the afternoon register. Its a pain as I work and either have to take a half day or arrange childcare. Having spoken to a teacher friend it seems the school is giving the impression they are providing a full days education. Does anyone elses dc do this and is it legal?

IvySquirrel Sun 30-Dec-12 19:37:35

I am actually amazed that anyone does full days on the last day of term. All schools in my area finish early on the last day. DS1 (private) finished at 12 before this holiday, and DS2 (state) at 1.45pm.
As it is always like this, it is no problem to plan for it!

MissDuke Sun 30-Dec-12 10:40:27

It is totally different where I am, we don't have OFSTED so attendance isn't so tightly monitored - I have never even heard of 'afternoon registration' before reading this thread!

Here, we have loads of half days. Last day of term is always a 12pm finish, and usually last day before half term also. We also have a week of 12pm finishes twice a year to accomodate parent/teacher interviews, as these are in the afternoon. There are other random half days crop up here and there, such as before the carol service. We can take the child home after the end of the nativity and sports day also!

We are used to this, so parents know they are coming, so I have never heard anyone complain about it to be honest.

Also our school day is shorter, usually 5 hours for the first 3 years, then 6 hours. So it is all very different here! We also get much longer in the summer 8-9 weeks!

difficultpickle Thu 20-Dec-12 21:25:57

11.30pm is a late finish grin.

Our finished at 10.30am last week which seemed daft.

SunflowersSmile Thu 20-Dec-12 21:25:11

Err 11.30am finish I mean....

SunflowersSmile Thu 20-Dec-12 21:24:39

Bloody hell Lfs126- not much point going to school for an 11.30pm finish. Also, I think it is too much to ask....

Lfs2126 Thu 20-Dec-12 09:06:22

Ds school kicks out at 11.30 for chrimbo. One 1/2 day in 14 weeks of toilwink, it's not asking the earth is it?

Bunbaker Thu 20-Dec-12 08:24:10

"I thought they all did this?"

Not in our LEA. DD has never had a half day on the last day of any term in primary school. Her high school doesn't do half day last day of term either.

cory Thu 20-Dec-12 08:15:11

I never had a problem with our end of term half days but that is because schools notify parents at the start of term.

CaurnieBred Wed 19-Dec-12 12:19:36

Both the schools DD has attended (infant and junior) finish early at the end of all three terms - 2.05 for the current school and 2.10 for the infant school.

I like it as it is early as a treat, but not too early.

However, I have no qualms in removing DD at 2pm on a Friday if we need to go anywhere for a weekend. That way she will have been marked as present on the register and is only missing "golden time".

It works both ways.

SunflowersSmile Wed 19-Dec-12 10:54:08

I think our school who make a huge deal about attendance [because they need to] would not entertain doing half day off at end of term.
It would be a bad example.

amck5700 Wed 19-Dec-12 10:40:30

Ours always finish after lunch at primary at the end of Summer and at Christmas - though in practise the kids all seem to have a "home" lunch that day so effectively clear out at 12.30 - sometime leaving my boys as the only ones in school. I usually finish at 3pm anyway so have either managed to negotiate an early finish, persuaded a neighbour to have them or taken time off. This is the firts year we've had High School and they are finishing at 1 and there is no transport my son can use so I'll have to go and collect him as well as get home for my youngest.

LittenTree Wed 19-Dec-12 10:33:37

Well, as long as none of you who think those of us who find that half day lark at the end of summer and Xmas a child-care pain, who evidently believe we regard our child's education as being no more than free babysitting- don't complain that their CT or MRI scan is then postponed as there are simple too few staff left, who haven't had to take the afternoon off to meet their DC, to provide the service.

It cuts both ways.

tiggytape Tue 18-Dec-12 16:04:28

We are limping towards the end of the week DD and DS both finish early on Friday (primary school and secondary school although secondary finishes earliest).

I'd rather they just had the whole day off, not for childcare reasons, but because they are all worn out and need to break up sooner rather than later. The whole term has just been too long. They're all run down and pupils at both schools are coming down with all the bronchitus / norovirus bugs doing the rounds. Everyone's had enough - me included and want the holidays to start.

alemci Mon 17-Dec-12 21:54:17

DC's primary school was always 2.15 and secondary school is lunchtime. I think they have all had enough by Friday 21st.

I agree it must be tough if you need childcare.

"But I suppose NotGood, its OK forteacherslike myself to have to be on call 24/7/365 ( and 366 in a leap year)?."

What on earth makes you think this is my opinion?

Festivedidi Mon 17-Dec-12 21:37:40

Dd1 has been to 3 different primary schools. Only one of them has ever closed early for Christmas. They closed at 2pm, I booked after school club for that day, same as normal, only to be told the week before the day that after school club didn't start until normal 3:15pm, and there was no childcare to be found by then. I can't take time off as a teacher at a school that never closes early, so ended up begging a friend and getting into an argument with after school club about making sure that they flag up a problem with school closing time and their opening time (given that it was on the same site as school and in communication daily with them), parents who are relying on childcare can't really sort out an hour in the middle of the day very easily.

Thank goodness dd1 is now at secondary and she will be fine going Christmas shopping on Thursday afternoon.

Ronaldo Mon 17-Dec-12 21:24:45

I think schools need to be careful that they are not practising double standards. It is frowned upon to take dcs out of school for 1/2 day for quick getaway at half term but ok for staff to have 1/2 day at the end of term

I think you have a point mumzy but as my school does notfrown on parents taking their DC out atany time , I cant see how we can be criticised for closing the gates early on last day.

4boyzmum Mon 17-Dec-12 21:24:01

DS1 finishes at 1.30 on thurs, DS2 finishes at 2.30 on Fri. Its how its always been. Thinking back to my schooldays and I remember always finishing early at the end of term too. Loved it when i was at school, it's annoying now!!

mumzy Mon 17-Dec-12 21:22:39

I think schools need to be careful that they are not practising double standards. It is frowned upon to take dcs out of school for 1/2 day for quick getaway at half term but ok for staff to have 1/2 day at the end of term.

Ronaldo Mon 17-Dec-12 21:22:25

Btw notgood, Iwork in an independent and many parents do expect us to take careof their offspring whilst they have a life and go for apizza ( its called flexi boarding).

Ronaldo Mon 17-Dec-12 21:21:22

actually mrz, I didnt teach him at all so I wish you would stop addressing this personally. However, I do think it was a good result for him, not us.

Ronaldo Mon 17-Dec-12 21:20:18

But I suppose NotGood, its OK forteacherslike myself to have to be on call 24/7/365 ( and 366 in a leap year)?.

I am on holiday. , its four in the afternoon and I am here answering e mails from my students who are all sending me work or asking for notes or help with their studies. This despite the fact holidays started last week. They are home and I am home. But school has not stopped . I have not stopped.

I bet if your DC was one of those writing to me now and I answered ( I am on holiday" you would have another complaint about my lack of committment.

We may finish school, many of us do not stop teaching.

mrz Mon 17-Dec-12 21:13:48

So you know there was a happy outcome for the boy jabed, or did you just gloat as you washed your hands of him before lunch

"I find it nasty and dispicable that some parents ( working or not) consider school no more than a free baby sitting service at their command."

hmm

I've yet to meet a parent that expects a school to take their children for the evening while they go out for a pizza, or at weekends while they go off child-free to a festival. But is it too much to expect that on a school day your children are in school? And yes, it is fine and normal for parents to have a life (work, even) that doesn't revolve around being available during school hours.

Ronaldo Mon 17-Dec-12 21:06:57

Not for the boy who was "removed"

Why not? he was enabled to go to another school quickly and with minimum disruption to his education.I think thats a result.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now