school half day at end of term

(110 Posts)
mumzy Fri 14-Dec-12 17:42:03

My dcs state primary always closes at 1pm at the end of each term after they have taken the afternoon register. Its a pain as I work and either have to take a half day or arrange childcare. Having spoken to a teacher friend it seems the school is giving the impression they are providing a full days education. Does anyone elses dc do this and is it legal?

I thought they all did this?

I'm pretty much used to having to arrange childcare for the last day of Xmas and summer term.

Witchety Fri 14-Dec-12 17:45:01

I think that is standard tbh

DorsetKnobwithJingleBellsOn Fri 14-Dec-12 17:45:04

Ours only do half day end of summer term.

LynetteScavo Fri 14-Dec-12 17:46:48

I would be shock if primaries did it.

DSs high school does it. He has to spend the afternoon in the school hall until the bus arrives. I wouldn't want to be the person supervising that!

bigTillyMincePie Fri 14-Dec-12 17:49:19

Ours used to do an unofficial pick your children up at 2pm till lots of working parents complained.

Secondary school finishes at the start of lunchtime on the last day, but thankfully, they can look after themselves now!

hels71 Fri 14-Dec-12 17:50:39

I have taught in 4 schools.
The only one that has finished early was the private school that finished at 11.30.
My DDs school however finishes at 2 each term....

SunflowersSmile Fri 14-Dec-12 17:52:59

Full days always here at end of term- no skiving thank goodness...

jalapeno Fri 14-Dec-12 17:54:44

Ours finishes at 2pm, it's a pain in the bum! What is the reasoning behind it?

EuphemiaInExcelsis Fri 14-Dec-12 17:56:29

We finish at noon (Primary). No idea of the reasoning, but I'm very grateful as the children are so tired already.

dishwashervodkaanddietirnbru Fri 14-Dec-12 17:56:59

Ours finishes at 2.30pm (half an hour earlier than normal) at Christmas, Easter, etc and only finishes at 1pm on the very last day of term before the summer holidays.

decktheballs Fri 14-Dec-12 17:57:07

All primaries here close at 12 on the last day before Christmas and summer

Changeforthrday Fri 14-Dec-12 18:01:04

We always finish at noon.

Pinner35 Fri 14-Dec-12 18:02:50

Our primary finishes at 1.30pm.

clam Fri 14-Dec-12 18:18:54

2pm every end of term, not half terms.

Shall I be the first to say "school is not childcare?"

mumzy Fri 14-Dec-12 18:26:53

Yes but they are registering children for the afternoon they should be providing a full afternoon of education

turkeyboots Fri 14-Dec-12 18:31:54

Our finishes 1 hour early at end of term. But the after school club and local CMs are all aware and cover it.

But school don't bother to actually tell parents til the day, last year they sent a text at 1, cue me cutting short meeting and driving cross town like a loon.

pointysettia Fri 14-Dec-12 18:52:43

This doesn't happen at any of the schools where I am, primary or secondary. For which I am truly thankful.

XBenedict Fri 14-Dec-12 18:54:21

Our old school did this. DC's current school don't but there's never any after school club on the last day of term and as their school day finishes at 2.30pm I have to make sure the afternoon is free work wise!

EndoplasmicReticulum Fri 14-Dec-12 18:59:39

My boys finish an hour earlier than usual (2.30) and there is no after school club on that day.

DorsetKnobwithJingleBellsOn Fri 14-Dec-12 19:00:44

There is no education in the afternoon but a carol service.

DD's school closes at noon on the last day of each term. They are good at flagging it up though, it says on the letter we get each September with the years dates on.

EvilTwins Fri 14-Dec-12 19:05:36

My girls' school finishes at 2, but after school club is open as usual.

The school I teach at finishes at 1 which is rather convenient.

BackforGood Fri 14-Dec-12 19:05:39

I've never come across it in Primary (either as a parent or teacher over several different schools) but it's quite common in secondary. that seems a 'fiddle' to me, but at least at that age they get themselves home and let themselves in. They shouldn't be doing it really, as they are supposed to teach the children on 190 days of the year. OK, we expect some relaxed 'toy day' or video watching, but they should at least be on the premises.

bruffin Fri 14-Dec-12 19:07:45

Both dcs primary and secondary finished early at end of term.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now