Has anyones 16yo gone away to college?

(36 Posts)
KatyMac Sun 07-Oct-12 16:23:03

How did you deal with the practicalities (emotionally I will be a wreak but I need something to concentrate on)?

Did they live in digs or halls or did you arrange something?

Leaving home at 18 it is hard enough to manage finances; I imagine it is worse at 16!

Any handy tips or hints?

How did your DD/DS cope emotionally?

KatyMac Thu 25-Oct-12 19:53:32

Thanks Startailoforangeandgold

Well littlemisstax I just took a big chance & emailed them & I am sat here chewing my nails trying to second guess if I was right to or not

Eastpoint Thu 25-Oct-12 20:08:06

She could do her A levels at Arts Ed, or if she is really desperate to dance could transfer there after Christmas. I think they have families pupils can live with if they aren't based locally. The school starts at Yr 7.

littlemisstax Thu 25-Oct-12 20:11:39

smile

KatyMac Thu 25-Oct-12 21:36:07

Eastpoint, I'm not sure she is ready yet; there is a good 18m to go before final decisions need to be made. I do think she would love it there - but I can't see anything about open days

littlemisstax - I sent you something by PM

EvilTwins Thu 25-Oct-12 21:39:01

Katy - an ex-student of mine did a YMT course a couple of years ago and he loved it. He was 19 at the time- just finished his first year at uni. What about NYMT? They recruit from 14 yrs- have a look at their website. Next lot of (regional) auditions are in the New Year, I think.

KatyMac Thu 25-Oct-12 21:43:28

It was that particular show DD fancied; everyone at dance school 'ignores' her Latin & DD loves it so much - it would be fun to 'do' something with it iyswim

I'm not sure we could spend all that money on something she was less interested in <spoilt brat>

EvilTwins Thu 25-Oct-12 21:54:27

Does she play an instrument ? Looks like they want actor/singer/musicians.

KatyMac Thu 25-Oct-12 21:58:26

Well yes but I doubt they want an ungraded African Drummer (Djembe) grin - they were talking about grade 8 shock

She can sing & dance (& is better at dancing)

EvilTwins Thu 25-Oct-12 22:07:52

Definitely worth giving it a go. The YMT website doesn't mention specific age limits other than the "mostly 16-21" thing, by which I guess they mean they will make exceptions where appropriate. The more experience she can get, the better. BTW, the friend I mentioned up-thread who went at 16 went to the London Studio Centre- it suited her.

KatyMac Thu 25-Oct-12 22:11:13

Thanks - apparently it might be £1200 or so <gulp>

KatyMac Fri 29-Mar-13 22:35:53

It's been an interesting few months - so much has changed

We went to London Studio Centre yesterday & they def only take from 18 (well possibly from 16 but only if you have the UCAS points)

I'm coping better with the idea of her going away; she managed Urdang in February without too much stress. She was all set to go away again (Bodyworks) next week but it was cancelled on Wed (very last minute)

& she didn't get into YMT (but she auditioned in the midst of Glandular Fever)

Her 'favourite' places to Audition so far are Urdang, Bodyworks & Millenium - but she wants to see Laine, Bird, Arts Ed & Performers before she finalises her decision.

She is also looking at StageWorks (In St Neots) as a possible level 3 course for 16; she looked at Ipswich but didn't fancy it much

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now