STOWE SCHOOL???????

(12 Posts)
concernedmoma Thu 05-May-11 14:18:09

I require honest advise from Stowe Parents, as my son starting there in september 2011. My kid is a really very bright A student and simple. I guess the advantage in that is he will get good attention than kids in otherwise only-all bright-schools. As these schools wont make any effort since the super bright will guarantee them top rating on the league tables anyway. So i'm told one shouldnt get carried by these league tables as the intial entry may have been 'As' only. Please advise

manicinsomniac Sun 08-May-11 02:36:16

I'm not quite sure what you're asking, the post is a little hard to make out.

I'm not a Stowe parent but I know a lot of them. And, tbh, it's not somewhere I would send any child of mine.

Discipline appears to pretty poor in many cases and the children 'grow up' way too fast.

Having said that many children do brilliantly well there.

Colleger Sun 08-May-11 10:29:59

I would never send a very bright child to Stowe. He/she will stick out like a sore thumb and have very few like-minded friends. The point of highly selective schools is nothing to do with league tables but so classes can move at an appropriate pace and children will have many like-minded peers. Having had my boys in non-selective, excellent prep schools they are desperate to be in a more intellectual environment.

Stowe is one of the only prestigious public schools that still take failed CE students from other schools.

a02ft Tue 10-May-11 22:56:40

First off I'm not a mum, but weirdly I'm also joining Stowe school next year for AS (so with your son, as long as I understood you correctly) I got offered places at all the schools I applied for (1 offered me a scholarship) and they were all high up in the League tables (apart from Stowe) but I realised I'm going to do just as well at any school I go to, I actually think I will do better at Stowe as I will feel motivated by leading the subjects... Academics was the only thing that made me wary of Stowe but school isn't just about academics; Stowe was the most beautiful place to be and the kids (the ones I met) were more friendly and polite than any other school I looked at. But above all the teaches where inspiring; I felt they would make me love the subject rather than just teach me for the exams - which the academic schools would do!

hev123 Sat 02-Jul-11 04:11:30

I am a mum, with a bright child at Stowe who loves it. And who is being stretched and challenged on a daily basis. She has just finished her first year and is in the 3rd form. I have no worries about her being at Stowe.

mumwithintegrity Thu 13-Oct-11 22:17:22

I have two children at Stowe (both have been there a year). Teachers are inspirational and there are academic clinics every day in every subject. Lots of academic extension opportunities. Both my children are very bright and have many bright children in their peer groups. Older daughter ... 4 x As in AS level results last August. .... and they don't have orange faces or birds nest hair ... and although we don't have scholarship or bursary, we certainly don't have a helicopter or even a second house for that matter. Can thoroughly recommend it - the Headmaster is fantastic.

stringerbell Sun 16-Oct-11 09:48:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

stringerbell Sun 16-Oct-11 09:48:24

conistonoldwoman Sun 16-Oct-11 20:50:39

Nothing to add but just love the "orange faces and bird's nest hair" image!!

Dustylaw Mon 17-Oct-11 23:01:53

Many years ago I knew a boy from Stowe who was the definitive 'Tim nice but dim". He had worked hard at Stowe and managed to get 2 A levels at a C and D or similar. Working with him over a few months my awe for his teachers grew and I just remember thinking that his teachers must have brilliant and dedicated and exceptionally patient. Probably Stowe has more bright pupils than in those days but if it has the same teachers or quality of teachers than any pupil is going to do well.

hardon69 Sun 10-Nov-13 23:46:47

Looking at schools this year, we visited Stowe. It is is absolutely gorgeous. A lovely third form boy took us for a tour and we managed to speak with some teachers. We were very impressed and they really promoted pastoral care. By chance, we met two London-based parents before we made our choice. They hinted that the school struggles with bullying. They reckon the wealthy parents of bullies and their lawyers are preventing the school from taking meaningful measures. I was bullied as a child, so we are passing on Stowe. Alas, we still haven't found the right school.

hardon69 Tue 12-Nov-13 15:55:27

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now